[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#841 Post by Waewick » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:03 pm

Le Cordon Bleu where never going to move.

I'd hate to think of the thousands of dollars various architects have wasted putting together plans for Le Cordon moving into the city.

Just on a positive, how fantastic do the old hospital buildings now look all cleaned up?

Very pretty part of the city, even moreso when finished

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Algernon

#842 Post by Algernon » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:11 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:03 pm
Le Cordon Bleu where never going to move.

I'd hate to think of the thousands of dollars various architects have wasted putting together plans for Le Cordon moving into the city.

Just on a positive, how fantastic do the old hospital buildings now look all cleaned up?

Very pretty part of the city, even moreso when finished

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
The Bice building in paticular. Once all the modern and not so modern additions were demolished, the buildings really hold their own. Unfortunately I have to say though, that Lot Fourteen sign attached to the corner of the other building does nothing for the heritage aspect. Makes it seem a little gimmicky.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#843 Post by Bob » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:02 am

how good is he wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:30 am
Maybe Bob if you can detail your alternative suggestion [ie a contemporary art gallery or whatever you think] so the forum can assess the merits of your proposal? So your thoughts on build cost, to buy "content", expected visitation numbers, your projected profit/return on investment etc. My point is whatever gets proposed/built here will attract skepticism that ANY business model will stack up... and as the forum correctly highlights there is massive competition from established places [as well as future and proposed] both nationally and Internationally and from individuals/states/countries with deeper pockets/bigger budgets/populations etc.

Seeming as you ask, my view on what should be at Lot 14 is only part of the bigger equation.

All four of the competing offerings at different times for Lot 14 need a home but there is also a fifth not talked about yet. All four of them previously identified should have the right fit or synergy to match their environment.

The iconic food preparation centre should be at a redeveloped Central Market as rightly pointed out previously by Patrick and others which would find its true fit location.

The Contemporary Art Gallery should be earmarked for SA Government House on the basis Australia will likely vote in favour of a Republic once the current monarch QEII expires, probably this decade, freeing up this site as no longer required for Crown purposes. Any building extensions done would need to be in keeping with the heritage in mind, but this is an iconic biding in an iconic location along the cultural boulevard in close proximity to the existing art gallery, would also allow for showing of the majority of pieces, this seems the right fit for such a place.

The Concert Hall once touted as underground proposal at Lot 14 really belongs next to Festival Centre adjacent the River Torrens, once again right fit for purpose location leveraging off existing theatre, dance and music already in place.

The Aboriginal Art Gallery has a natural choice in principle of two relevant spiritual homes in today’s world – either at Port Augusta as the gateway to the outback which could be tied in with an expanded Arid Botanic Garden making it a right fit for what is the most aboriginal centre in SA today. Port Augusta is also at the crossroads of Sydney-Perth and Melbourne-Adelaide-Darwin for both rail and road which strengthens its location. Visitor numbers would be less than Adelaide, but some of that could be solved at minimal relative cost (I will have to address that in a separate transport post). Alternatively, if we are intent on keeping this proposal in Adelaide due to the real reason, i,e, commercial enterprise, then the other spiritual home to aboriginals in the past was what is now the River Torrens, originally a creek/waterway. As land is limited along the river, one place could be made suitable and maintaining a prime position, it is the land between Plane Tree Drive, Hackney Road and the River Torrens to the Gilberton Bridge. The land area earmarked at Lot 14 for this exercise also fits into this proposed area comfortably, so no offering would be reduced, but rather enhanced because of river frontage completing the spiritual connection.

This allows Lot 14 to be free of any of the four competing elements for the space and would now allow what I think should be there – a National Innovation Experience – a centre like no other that would be based on the principal of where we are today (less than 20% of the exhibition) along with what we are working on today to make todays visions a reality in the next decade or so (80% of the exhibition), such a centre would provide awareness, education, inspiration and aspirations showcasing not only global and national efforts but highlighting where SA innovative contributions are in the areas of ( to highlight some high level categories):

• Space
• Roles of nanotechnology in future society
• Climate change
• Renewable Energy
• Water Management in arid climates
• Green Transport electrification
• Green Heavy Industrial development
• Food crop production in marginal clmates
• Medical technology
• Disease research
• Artificial Intelligence
• Robotics

A National Innovation Experience (Centre) fits in with where SA is heading over the next decade or so and being in this location dovetails with what is going on Lot 14 today – innovation.

I also leave out the title Museum as this would be an experienced that would spend minimal time on the reference points today but instead most of its exhibitive energies focused on what we are doing and need to do to achieve are aspirations, and to keep this relevant the reference point gets moved forward every 2-3 years, so the futurism aspect remains relevant.

And a lot more innovation is going on in SA than is being credited for, this would be another avenue to highlight those efforts on a national and international stage.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#844 Post by Spotto » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:13 pm

Bob wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:02 am
The Contemporary Art Gallery should be earmarked for SA Government House on the basis Australia will likely vote in favour of a Republic once the current monarch QEII expires, probably this decade, freeing up this site as no longer required for Crown purposes.
Even if Australia becomes a republic it’s entirely possible that the states will keep the roles of head of state (Governor) and head of government (Premier) separate. This would keep the government hierarchy more or less the same as now, but without the monarchy elements. If the roles remain separate, the Governors will probably remain at their respective residences.

And we don’t even know for certain if we’ll become a republic anytime soon, are we going to wait around for who knows how long just on the off chance that Government House becomes available? We can’t really plan for a use of Government House if it ends up that it won’t be available anyway even if we do become a republic.

PeFe

#845 Post by PeFe » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:38 pm

Bob wrote:

The Aboriginal Art Gallery has a natural choice in principle of two relevant spiritual homes in today’s world – either at Port Augusta as the gateway to the outback which could be tied in with an expanded Arid Botanic Garden making it a right fit for what is the most aboriginal centre in SA today. Port Augusta is also at the crossroads of Sydney-Perth and Melbourne-Adelaide-Darwin for both rail and road which strengthens its location. Visitor numbers would be less than Adelaide, but some of that could be solved at minimal relative cost (I will have to address that in a separate transport post). Alternatively, if we are intent on keeping this proposal in Adelaide due to the real reason, i,e, commercial enterprise, then the other spiritual home to aboriginals in the past was what is now the River Torrens, originally a creek/waterway. As land is limited along the river, one place could be made suitable and maintaining a prime position, it is the land between Plane Tree Drive, Hackney Road and the River Torrens to the Gilberton Bridge. The land area earmarked at Lot 14 for this exercise also fits into this proposed area comfortably, so no offering would be reduced, but rather enhanced because of river frontage completing the spiritual connection.
Nah the Aboriginal Gallery should be in Adelaide, fronting North Terrace. Placing it in a small regional town makes no sense.

We want to give international tourists more reasons to visit Adelaide not less.....just look at all the new Adelaide hotels waiting for foreign tourists to come back.

Also something uniquely "Australian" would make us more attractive on the tourist trail.

I have had a few encounters with in my life with some very disappointed American tourists. They get off the plane (in Sydney) and the first thing they see outside the airport is MacDonalds, they arrive at their hotel room and switch on the tv to be confronted by endless American sitcoms. They express how underwhelming they find Australia. I try to counter this by saying they are going to have to look a bit deeper....

Anyway we have missed the boat by about 10 years with a contemporary art gallery, we can truly do something "special" that will make every tourist guide book on Australia with the Aboriginal Gallery.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#846 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:44 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:38 pm
Bob wrote:

Nah the Aboriginal Gallery should be in Adelaide, fronting North Terrace. Placing it in a small regional town makes no sense.

We want to give international tourists more reasons to visit Adelaide not less.....just look at all the new Adelaide hotels waiting for foreign tourists to come back.

Also something uniquely "Australian" would make us more attractive on the tourist trail.

I have had a few encounters with in my life with some very disappointed American tourists. They get off the plane (in Sydney) and the first thing they see outside the airport is MacDonalds, they arrive at their hotel room and switch on the tv to be confronted by endless American sitcoms. They express how underwhelming they find Australia. I try to counter this by saying they are going to have to look a bit deeper....

Anyway we have missed the boat by about 10 years with a contemporary art gallery, we can truly do something "special" that will make every tourist guide book on Australia with the Aboriginal Gallery.
FYI it's actually being marketed as an "Art and Cultures" centre, rather than solely an art gallery.

Patrick_27

#847 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:51 pm

Just on Waewick's comment of the restoration of the heritage buildings, similarly I have been very impressed by the efforts gone into bringing these buildings back to life. However, I will say that the two buildings that UoA occupy on the site closer to the corner of Frome/North Terrace are not well restored on the exterior and I'm wondering if this was something that UoA were responsible for an they simply haven't upheld their end of the bargain? I've attached some pictures for show. If it was the University's job to do this work, appreciate that they have a whole campus to consider but this being a new precinct intended to be world-class should suggest the importance of playing their part.
Attachments
tempImagefWLSzU.gif
tempImage9tZoXJ.gif
tempImage6brodo.gif

Patrick_27

#848 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:52 pm

Continued...
Attachments
tempImagebizslq.gif
tempImageNjsuoS.gif

[Shuz]

#849 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:13 pm

Interesting you mention this I was only thinking this just earlier today as I went past. The two UoA buildings aren't in as good condition as the other two. Poor maintenance.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#850 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:27 pm

From today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#851 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:25 pm

Final designs for $200m Adelaide Aboriginal Art and Cultures Centre to be built at Lot Fourteen
Paul Starick
August 5, 2021 - 8:00PM

Final designs for a $200m Indigenous art gallery have been revealed as the future centrepiece of Adelaide’s landmark Lot Fourteen site.

Plans for the North Tce Aboriginal Art and Cultures Centre (AACC) have been submitted for approval, ahead of a planned construction start later this year.

Premier Steven Marshall said he was confident the art and cultures centre, scheduled to open in 2025, would provide rich opportunities for all South Australians.

“Putting Aboriginal art and cultures at the forefront, the establishment of the AACC will provide a symbol of reconciliation, celebrating our unique cultural offerings while creating an international tourism destination,” Mr Marshall said.

“This new landmark for our state will create important opportunities for Aboriginal employment and development, while driving economic and social outcomes for the people of South Australia.”

Federal Cities and Arts Minister Paul Fletcher said the centre would be an important cultural landmark and tourist attraction, predicting it would entice hundreds of thousands of visitors annually.

Initial plans based on shelters known as wurlies or humpies have been refined with an Aboriginal Reference Group, which architects said meant the design “speaks to and embraces Aboriginal shared values”.

The final plans appear more curved, with softer angles and more open entrances, than first designs revealed by The Advertiser in February.

Creating Australia’s leading Indigenous art gallery was the linchpin of the Liberals’ pre-election vision for the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site, now known as Lot Fourteen.

Released just ahead of the 2018 poll, the Liberal blueprint also included a $60m world-class cooking school, which Treasurer Rob Lucas on July 29 revealed had stalled.

A State Commission Assessment Panel decision to approve the AACC would resolve years of indecision about a cultural addition to the old RAH site, for which the former Labor government commissioned designs for a contemporary art gallery – ultimately shelved by the Liberals in mid-2018.

Architect Diller Scofidio + Renfro partner Charles Renfro, whose firm designed the centre in partnership with Woods Bagot, said the contemporary building presented “an exciting new image and experience”.

“Wholly connected to the landscape, the design embeds the lower ground level into the site and includes a first-of-its-kind outdoor gallery cantilevered over the terraced landscape,” he said.

The AACC, which Mr Marshall previously had signalled would open in 2023, would include spaces for permanent and visiting exhibitions, cultural performances, meetings, ceremonies, a cafe, retail spaces and an open-air amphitheatre.

AACC ambassador and Aboriginal Reference Group leader David Rathman said Indigenous people had worked with the project team for more than a year.

“The Aboriginal Art and Cultures Centre is a means by which Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can showcase to the world 60,000 years of history, understanding of country and contemporary expression of our culture, through performing, visual arts and static displays,” he said.

The federal government will provide up to $85m towards construction, under a City Deal inked in 2019, while the state has earmarked $115m, including an extra $50m unveiled in November 2020.

Source: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertai ... 16ed6795fd

Algernon

#852 Post by Algernon » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:35 pm

Nice.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#853 Post by Mpol02 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:00 am

Yes yes yes yes a thousand times yes

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#854 Post by Pikey » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:56 am

Absolutely spectacular. I love it. From its form to its interaction with the adjacent botanic gardens. I also really like the naturalisation of the foot path in front.

Phenomenal outcome!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Nort

#855 Post by Nort » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:56 am

Absolutely love it.