[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#811 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri May 21, 2021 1:58 pm

Still coming down:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#812 Post by Goodsy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:14 pm

Taken from the 28th floor of Realm by me

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#813 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:06 pm

Update:

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#814 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:03 pm

Update from today as the paving around the Bice Building opens to the public:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#815 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:51 pm

Great shots, thank you!

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#816 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:19 pm

Good riddance to a hospital that's over 50 Years Old.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#817 Post by rev » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:02 am

AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:06 pm
Update:

At the pace things go in this oversized village, I'd be shocked if it didn't take them a month or more to remove that last section.

Got to throw in a bit of corruption, you know keep the job going a little longer so the boss can get his new Range Rover :lol:

[Shuz]

#818 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:07 pm

They can't do controlled demolitions in Australia anymore since that girl in Canberra was killed by flying debris like 15-20 years ago. Things have to be done differently now and that means taking more time and going slower. Plus there's a lot of asbestos. It's got nothing to do with the project manager getting a new range rover.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#819 Post by cmet » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:59 pm

rev wrote:
AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:06 pm
Update:

At the pace things go in this oversized village, I'd be shocked if it didn't take them a month or more to remove that last section.

Got to throw in a bit of corruption, you know keep the job going a little longer so the boss can get his new Range Rover :lol:
95% of your comments here are just rambling shite/complaining

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#820 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:48 pm

Prominent new signage on the corner of North Terrace and Frome Road for Lot Fourteen. It’s almost a freestanding sculpture with only a couple of fixings to the heritage building.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#821 Post by Bob » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:35 am

I have had concerns for some time that the business case for the Aboriginal Gallery doesn't stack up - I am struggling to see what the Adelaide offering will put forward that is a differentiator to the WA and NT proposals, also as Aboriginals were not one nation when Europeans arrived, rather they were about 200 localised tribes who did not speak each others languages or share each others culture, the only offering in true sense for this effort is a Gallery for local SA tribes, it cant have a national element because there never was one.

And I think this is going to be the sticking point for attracting international tourism, people aren't going to make a special trip to Adelaide to see a non-national gallery, let alone pay to visit. Tandanya has leveraged off the Festivals by holding events in its space, I'm sure the proposed Gallery will do the same, but is it an attraction in its own right that will attract special trip visitors such as MONA in Hobart - I think that will be a long stretch to imagine. Still not convinced this is the best use of the space allocated at Lot 14 for this effort. And to date Tandanya still hasn't been able to prove its a destination of worth for a special trip.

On that theme I spotted this letter to the editor today regarding the Aboriginal Gallery business case - fair points being made.

https://indaily.com.au/opinion/reader-c ... and-chefs/

Commenting on the story: Visitors expected to flock to Aboriginal Cultures Centre but other details under wraps

Over-estimating visitor numbers has been a fatal trap for new Government-subsidised cultural centres in Adelaide.

When Tandanya opened in 1989 there were optimistic projections of 90,000 visitors, paying an admission of $4. By the end of 1990 attendances were a mere 30,000 and Tandanya had a $500,000 deficit. Then there was the National Wine Centre, which similarly over-estimated attendances and ended up being closed down after an even worse discrepancy between projected and actual income from visitations.

Stephanie Richards does not mention in her article if these visitations are based on an admission charge or free admission. Figures for both the SA Museum and AGSA are based mainly on free admission with the occasional charge exhibition. If there is charge this might have a significant dampening effect.

Australians have proved notoriously recalcitrant when it comes to forking out even small amounts for exhibition admission, even though we will happily pay much more for theatre and music tickets. – Margot Osbo
rne

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#822 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:16 am

Bob wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:35 am
I have had concerns for some time that the business case for the Aboriginal Gallery doesn't stack up - I am struggling to see what the Adelaide offering will put forward that is a differentiator to the WA and NT proposals, also as Aboriginals were not one nation when Europeans arrived, rather they were about 200 localised tribes who did not speak each others languages or share each others culture, the only offering in true sense for this effort is a Gallery for local SA tribes, it cant have a national element because there never was one.

And I think this is going to be the sticking point for attracting international tourism, people aren't going to make a special trip to Adelaide to see a non-national gallery, let alone pay to visit. Tandanya has leveraged off the Festivals by holding events in its space, I'm sure the proposed Gallery will do the same, but is it an attraction in its own right that will attract special trip visitors such as MONA in Hobart - I think that will be a long stretch to imagine. Still not convinced this is the best use of the space allocated at Lot 14 for this effort. And to date Tandanya still hasn't been able to prove its a destination of worth for a special trip.

On that theme I spotted this letter to the editor today regarding the Aboriginal Gallery business case - fair points being made.

https://indaily.com.au/opinion/reader-c ... and-chefs/

Commenting on the story: Visitors expected to flock to Aboriginal Cultures Centre but other details under wraps

Over-estimating visitor numbers has been a fatal trap for new Government-subsidised cultural centres in Adelaide.

When Tandanya opened in 1989 there were optimistic projections of 90,000 visitors, paying an admission of $4. By the end of 1990 attendances were a mere 30,000 and Tandanya had a $500,000 deficit. Then there was the National Wine Centre, which similarly over-estimated attendances and ended up being closed down after an even worse discrepancy between projected and actual income from visitations.

Stephanie Richards does not mention in her article if these visitations are based on an admission charge or free admission. Figures for both the SA Museum and AGSA are based mainly on free admission with the occasional charge exhibition. If there is charge this might have a significant dampening effect.

Australians have proved notoriously recalcitrant when it comes to forking out even small amounts for exhibition admission, even though we will happily pay much more for theatre and music tickets. – Margot Osbo
rne
I agree. I think the original idea of a modern art gallery including aboriginal art has much broader appeal. MONA has helped completely reshape Hobart.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#823 Post by how good is he » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:18 am

While I understand/agree with the points mentioned, MONA has been funded/owned by an extremely wealthy individual [some $300m+ spent years ago, so maybe equivalent to $1b today]. Maybe the discussion should be if our Govt should go out and buy/compete for [with taxpayers money] quality Art where just one "standout" piece can cost $25m, $50m or more?
My understanding is the SA Govt has some 40,000+ Aboriginal art pieces/artefacts/sculptures etc they currently own and in storage which effectively is just waiting to be properly showcased.
However just because they already own all this "content" it won't preclude it from becoming a white elephant, it's just that at least it would be ...... a cheaper white elephant?
Last edited by how good is he on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#824 Post by Bob » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:40 pm

Yes its true MONA came effectively via philanthropy, but what an impact it has had. For Adelaide to get the same impact, it too would have to offer something of a differentiator, as above and I think we agree, the current proposed concept will not satisfy that vision.

The fact that the Liberals are not being transparent with the complete detailed business case to justify the viability of this proposal is raising a yellow flag that further independent investigation is required.

Lot 14 appears to have momentum now and is continually building on its earlier success small steps at a time, it would be a pity if people look back in 20 years time with hindsight and say we should've have hung out for something more impacting on the national, even international stage.

Nathan

#825 Post by Nathan » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:06 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:18 am
My understanding is the SA Govt has some 40,000+ Aboriginal art pieces/artefacts/sculptures etc they currently own and in storage which effectively is just waiting to be properly showcased.
However just because they already own all this "content" it won't preclude it from becoming a white elephant, it's just that at least it would be ...... a cheaper white elephant?
The same can be said of the AGSA's collection, a tiny fraction of which is currently displayed. The difference though is depth of quality. AGSA rotates a fair bit, whereas I imagine the museum has most of the best items already on display.