[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#736 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:05 am

It just basically looks like a cousin of the Adelaide Convention Centre Stage 3.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

PeFe

#737 Post by PeFe » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:48 am

This project really excites me....why?....because we have an opportunity to create something unique.

"Unique"....such an overused word....but in this case true......a "one off"...there is only one.

I am so glad the SA government abandoned the idea of a "modern art" museum....why?.......because they are a dime a dozen around the western world.

This museum could become a "must see" attraction for overseas tourists in Australia (and bringing more money to the state)

The Louvre.....you can only see it in Paris (ignoring the Dubai or Abu Dhabi extension wherever that is)

The Aboriginal Art and Cultures Centre......you can only see it in Adelaide.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#738 Post by Mpol02 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:30 am

I love this design. If the cladding is much like the renders it could truly be iconic.

Where is the Lot 14 tower going? I thought it was in this space?

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#739 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:13 am

Mpol02 wrote:I love this design. If the cladding is much like the renders it could truly be iconic.

Where is the Lot 14 tower going? I thought it was in this space?
It’s going here:

Right now it’s a large hole (photo taken a few months ago):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#740 Post by Pikey » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:52 am

The basket weave facade on this looks phenomenal! This could be a true national landmark which is incredibly exciting!

(bumping the article to a new page too to highlight the renders!)
Alyx wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:37 pm
EBG wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:10 am
Great pictures Alyx
A very belated thank you!

The Advertiser wrote:The first designs for a $200m Indigenous art gallery at Lot Fourteen, inspired by Aboriginal temporary shelters, are being unveiled as the future centrepiece of the landmark site.

The Advertiser can reveal the long-awaited Aboriginal Art and Cultures Centre (AACC) concept plans, which have been based on shelters known as wurlies or humpies.

Architect Woods Bagot will develop the designs into detailed plans for the North Tce site during the next 12 months, in concert with an Aboriginal reference group led by AACC ambassador and community leader David Rathman.

Premier Steven Marshall said the striking reference design, featuring overlapping layers surrounding a central gathering space, embodied the centre’s vision as a gateway to the world’s oldest living cultures.

“The AACC will offer extraordinary immersive experiences, combining traditional storytelling with modern technology, celebrating 65,000 years of Aboriginal cultures and creating a global tourism attraction,” he said.

“We will share with the world, with great pride, the incredible stories and unique cultures of Australia’s first people, as never told or shown before.”

Construction is scheduled to start later this year and the centre is due to open in early 2025.

Full article: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 9cc8a0f0fe
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#741 Post by Mpol02 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:07 am

Thank you for sharing that. This could be a wonderful precinct. I was fearful the Liberal government would blunder not but perhaps it just yet.
Last edited by Mpol02 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#742 Post by shiftaling » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:18 am

I love the design of the building in itself - it's quite beautiful! - but I just wish it wasn't so square on to the street. I wish it had more of a feeling of being situated within the parks and gardens.

Kind of looks like when you plonk a new building at the end of a row in Sim City - as if it's carved out unthinkingly from the parklands (notwithstanding of course that it's actually built on previously alienated land).

It would be interesting to look at the whole proposal document and see what, if any, articulation with the Botanic Gardens is envisaged.

As always, just my unqualified :2cents:

Nort

#743 Post by Nort » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:12 am

Those concept images look great!

ml69
Legendary Member!

#744 Post by ml69 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:07 pm

I also love the design concept! This really could be an iconic national building.

I’m glad Woods Bagot are the architects. The SAMHRI building has demonstrated that they know what they’re doing if they have sufficient budget to work with.

Way, way better than the designs in the Adelaide Contemporary competition which weren’t very inspiring to me.

Can’t wait to see the design as it develops! 😀

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#745 Post by rev » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:37 pm

It would be better if it was a bit further away from existing buildings so it stood out on it's own.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#746 Post by ml69 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:49 pm

In fact if you compare this design to their original white box design of Adelaide Contemporary, you realise that they’ve just taken that design and made it sexier.

In any case, it’s worked.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#747 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:18 pm

rev wrote:It would be better if it was a bit further away from existing buildings so it stood out on it's own.
I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#748 Post by SRW » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:27 pm

I think it's an impressive design from a monumental standpoint. But it's not particularly iconic. It reads more as generic modern than something inspired by vernacular architecture -- the wurley reference seems like a post-rationalisation rather than a starting point.

Still, this is only conceptual, so perhaps the design will evolve into something more legibly related to the gallery's mission. Hopefully the building's relationship to the surrounding parkland will also be refined -- the strongest designs from the initial competition IMO were those that were intertwined with the open space.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#749 Post by Jaymz » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:41 pm

I wish it had more of a feeling of being situated within the parks and gardens.
I hear what you're saying, and my idea is prolly a partial solution to this.... Pretty much every building on North Terrace is parallel to the road, so could we turn this one and have a corner pointing the road instead? Or would that just be weird?

It would create a much more open space when coming in from North Terrace, as long as not just a sea of concrete and pavers.

Patrick_27

#750 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:22 pm

I don't hate it but I stand by what I've always said, the below design featured in the Adelaide Contemporary design finalists still stands as the best design to have come from either proposal and could have very easily been worked into the design spec for this gallery. It was far more sympathetic to the parklands, had heaps of exhibition floorspace and was more subtly imposing.
Attachments
BIG-1.jpg