Frome St Bikeway

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Frome St Bikeway

#1 Post by rhino » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:07 am

From ABC News Online:
RAA wary of Frome Street bikeway plan

The RAA said it was assessing the impact of a proposal to reduce Frome Street in Adelaide's CBD to a single lane each way to create a separated bikeway.
Adelaide City Council wants a dedicated bikeway between Carrington and Pirie Streets and its plan is out for public consultation.
Mark Borlace of the RAA said good cycling infrastructure was important in cities but the dedicated bikeway was likely to create congestion in the area.
He said the impact on drivers needed to be carefully assessed.
"This has the potential to be the first of a series of them (bikeways), we need to make sure that this one is done right so if it's to be used as a model for other roads that we don't get it wrong in the first bit," he said.
"You would think that if you were going to pull potentially half of the capacity out of that section of the road then it's bound to have an effect on transit times and congestion."
David Hill of the City Council said it did not believe a separated bikeway would lead to congestion.
"It's probably one of the lesser busy roads in the north-south corridors, so we've chosen it for that reason and the important thing with Frome Street is it provides that connectivity from the inner suburbs for bike routes," he said.
I understood that Frome St was created in the 1960s, out of a series of narrow streets, involving the demolition of a lot of buildings, so that Frome Road could be better used as an access route into the city.
cheers,
Rhino

mgb
High Rise Poster!

Re: Frome St Bikeway

#2 Post by mgb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 am

While they are currently planning this only in the southern parts of Frome Street, and the designs that have so far been published look really good, obviously it is thought that this would eventually extend through to North Tce. I fully support the idea of having dedicated bike lanes in Frome Street by closing one of the lanes.

I really hope though they have looked through the impact of all of Frome street being restricted to one lane will have on the street and the intersecting roads. In the mornings Frome Street has a lot of people entering it from North Tce, Grenfell & Flinders St (fed from Bartels Rd) heading south who then turn right into Flinders, Wakefield, Angas and Carrington Streets. There are no dedicated turn right lanes so this usually blocks the right lane.

Lets also hope they plan for a future tram corridor down this street. Would hate to see the expense of building these new bike lanes and then it all be wasted if a future city tram loop is created down the same street.

mgb

Aidan

#3 Post by Aidan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:52 am

rhino wrote:I understood that Frome St was created in the 1960s, out of a series of narrow streets, involving the demolition of a lot of buildings, so that Frome Road could be better used as an access route into the city.
It was planned to link Glen Osmond Road with Main North Road.

Although Frome Street was never completed to South Terrace, the bikeway will be - but won't require any demolition.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by monotonehell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 am

An RAA spokesperson was earlier quoted as saying:
VROOM! VROOM! Rumm rumm rumm... nerrrrrr nerrrrrrrr vroom! Putta putta puttt SQUEEEEEELLLLL! VROOOOOM!!!!!!
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by mattblack » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:02 pm

mgb wrote:While they are currently planning this only in the southern parts of Frome Street, and the designs that have so far been published look really good, obviously it is thought that this would eventually extend through to North Tce. I fully support the idea of having dedicated bike lanes in Frome Street by closing one of the lanes.

I really hope though they have looked through the impact of all of Frome street being restricted to one lane will have on the street and the intersecting roads. In the mornings Frome Street has a lot of people entering it from North Tce, Grenfell & Flinders St (fed from Bartels Rd) heading south who then turn right into Flinders, Wakefield, Angas and Carrington Streets. There are no dedicated turn right lanes so this usually blocks the right lane.

Lets also hope they plan for a future tram corridor down this street. Would hate to see the expense of building these new bike lanes and then it all be wasted if a future city tram loop is created down the same street.

mgb
RHT will be banned in peak hours. No Planning has been done for the tram loop except for a line on a page so this was not taken into account.

Nathan

#6 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Full details of the bikeway are here: http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/ ... et-bikeway
Including a FAQ which addresses vehicle traffic and parking, amongst other things: http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/faq/index/119

RAA can moan all it wants, there are plenty of alternative routes for car traffic in the city and losing one lane on the least busy North/South road (that doesn't even extend the whole length of the city) is hardly going to be the end of the world.

Ho Really

#7 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Nathan wrote:
[...]

RAA can moan all it wants, there are plenty of alternative routes for car traffic in the city and losing one lane on the least busy North/South road (that doesn't even extend the whole length of the city) is hardly going to be the end of the world.
No, it's not the end of the world, just that those people will have to go elsewhere, maybe Pulteney and Hutt Streets. Pulteney Street also has limited righthand turning lanes in parts of the CBD. Important they get this right and not waste money. Where to have bike lanes, no righthand turns, through traffic and future tram lines.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by jk1237 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:17 pm

I ride my bike down Frome Street every 2nd day to get from my Hutt St hut to Rundle Mall. Can't wait for the bike lane. There is no necessity for 2 lanes of traffic. It only gets a dribble of traffic as it is. It will sometimes congest near the North Tce and Rundle Street corners when the east parklands roads are closed but south of Grenfell St will be fine as 1 lane even in peak hour

Dog
High Rise Poster!

Frome St Bikeway

#9 Post by Dog » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:44 pm

-
Last edited by Dog on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Shuz]

#10 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Very supportive of the idea... but it is kind of pointless, especially if the CBD tram loop is intended to go down From Street. There doesn't appear to have been any communication or consensus reached between the ACC and the State Government about how the two will work together.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#11 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:37 am

[Shuz] wrote:Very supportive of the idea... but it is kind of pointless, especially if the CBD tram loop is intended to go down From Street. There doesn't appear to have been any communication or consensus reached between the ACC and the State Government about how the two will work together.
I'd say they have 10 years or so to bed it down before money becomes available....the route may even change by that time.

[Shuz]

#12 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:14 am

Its actually a lot closer than many expect / think.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#13 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:41 am

[Shuz] wrote:Its actually a lot closer than many expect / think.
now that just isn't fair :cry:

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by mattblack » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:05 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Very supportive of the idea... but it is kind of pointless, especially if the CBD tram loop is intended to go down From Street. There doesn't appear to have been any communication or consensus reached between the ACC and the State Government about how the two will work together.
This bikeways project has been developed in close consultation and part funding from DPTI. The tram loop is nothing more than very initial informal conversations between various departments, like I said, nothing more than a line on a map.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by omada » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:17 am

Shuz you have hinted about the tram line extension before, is this just mere speculation or insider knowledge? Fess up.