[COM] Festival Plaza Tower 1 | 115m | 27 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

#1261 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:07 pm

Algernon wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:27 pm
Bob wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:01 am
If Flinders Uni are proposing to be the anchor tenant, and propose to have naming rights, I wonder how many floors they plan to take up?

Can you give us a better clue without putting yourself at employment risk?
Depends on the building managent. Sometimes they just bundle the rights in with the lease of the top floors only. AFAIK, the only tenant of the state debt building that ever actually leased a substantial portion of the building was the original state bank/bank sa. One of the later tennants got their logo on top leasing 2-3 floors only.
My guess is they'll be located on the lower levels with the upper levels will be leased at a premium to the corporate sector, plus the lower levels will make it easier for them for make changes to things such as adding their own isolated escalators between floors. I can't imagine a university campus of this apparent size sharing the main elevators with the remainder of the building's tenants with students and staff coming and going in large droves between a number of floors.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#1262 Post by notmichaeljfox » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:00 am

Bob wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:01 am
If Flinders Uni are proposing to be the anchor tenant, and propose to have naming rights, I wonder how many floors they plan to take up?

Can you give us a better clue without putting yourself at employment risk?
I'm not sure.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#1263 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:16 pm

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#1264 Post by citywatcher » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:20 pm

Er........ yup

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1265 Post by SRW » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:44 pm

I remember after the former government settled a lawsuit with Walker sometime around 2014 they argued that the exclusive development rights were 'use it or lose it'. I guess you never really lose anything when you're a connected billionaire though.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1266 Post by Spotto » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:49 pm

On the plus side, the incomplete plaza looks no worse than what was there originally :lol:

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#1267 Post by citywatcher » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:07 pm

$800m and 10 years later .......

rhino

#1268 Post by rhino » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:58 am

It looks like they've straightened up the Hajek sculptures and painted them black.
cheers,
Rhino

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1269 Post by rev » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:29 pm

Was there even a government vision or plan for the site besides the usual verbal diarrhoea about world class this, fed square/southbank that?
What other outcome did people honestly expect.

Patrick_27

#1270 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:58 am

I didn't expect much, even with Walkers involvement.

I feel that if anyone ever wanted to know how Lot 14 would have turned out under a Labor government, the Riverside precinct is probably the best comparison. The whole area is years upon years of Labor government investment, adding bits and pieces without much sense behind it (with exemption to the Festival Centre). For instance, I believe their rushing to get the Convention Centre expansion approved and u/c mid-term was much the same as a lot of Labor's pet projects, it was almost as if they weren't confident going into any election that they'd walk out the winners so they rushed projects along without any forethought in hope of vote grabbing. Whereas, had the Libs been in governments before the Convention Centre expansion/the Festival Plaza precinct, I'm genuinely of the belief that we'd be looking at a much different outcome (perhaps with a few years of stalling, whilst they regained their precious surplus), i.e. Hajek Plaza would likely have ended up being redeveloped for the use of the Festival Centre rather than a public square, which ultimately might have seen the Victoria Square upgrade funded and complete. Either way, we're stuck with what's there; I just hope it ages poorly and that we're back at the drawing board in 20-30 years.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

#1271 Post by citywatcher » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:32 am

Patrick_27 wrote:I didn't expect much, even with Walkers involvement.

I feel that if anyone ever wanted to know how Lot 14 would have turned out under a Labor government, the Riverside precinct is probably the best comparison. The whole area is years upon years of Labor government investment, adding bits and pieces without much sense behind it (with exemption to the Festival Centre). For instance, I believe their rushing to get the Convention Centre expansion approved and u/c mid-term was much the same as a lot of Labor's pet projects, it was almost as if they weren't confident going into any election that they'd walk out the winners so they rushed projects along without any forethought in hope of vote grabbing. Whereas, had the Libs been in governments before the Convention Centre expansion/the Festival Plaza precinct, I'm genuinely of the belief that we'd be looking at a much different outcome (perhaps with a few years of stalling, whilst they regained their precious surplus), i.e. Hajek Plaza would likely have ended up being redeveloped for the use of the Festival Centre rather than a public square, which ultimately might have seen the Victoria Square upgrade funded and complete. Either way, we're stuck with what's there; I just hope it ages poorly and that we're back at the drawing board in 20-30 years.
If you think the outcome would have been better under a Marshall govt you need to get your cognitive functioning checked.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1272 Post by rev » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:41 am

I don't think either side would have given us the outcome that the wider riverbank precinct truly deserves.
We've heard it all, from Festival Plaza being the new Federation Square to the riverbank being the new Southbank.
There's no master plan for it.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

#1273 Post by citywatcher » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:31 am

rev wrote:I don't think either side would have given us the outcome that the wider riverbank precinct truly deserves.
We've heard it all, from Festival Plaza being the new Federation Square to the riverbank being the new Southbank.
There's no master plan for it.
This is very likely true
A massive opportunity that looks like it has been completely stuffed but unfortunately at a cost of hundreds of millions of SA money .
Moral . Don't get into bed with the Walkers of this world.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#1274 Post by Joelmark » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:05 am

I think I’ll wait a few years when the tower is complete, the retail building is open and the landscaping mature to make a final comment. I’m sure it will be an improvement on what was there before.

The ultimate problem with the site is that it is being built on top of a massive car park (what other prosperous western city makes a car park the basis for a central piece of public realm nowadays? Ever heard of catching the bus, train or tram there? It’s right next to the main station, three tram stops and numerous bus routes!)

A better idea would have been having the contemporary/ indigenous cultural gallery largely below ground where the car park is and a deeper plaza subsurface for more mature landscaping, and an iconic above ground entrance from an international competition, much like the Louvre pyramid entrance in Paris.

It’s been noted fleetingly here, but the current car park setup was always going to limit the amount of mature greenery that could be established on the plaza itself due to ceiling heights.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#1275 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:43 pm

From today:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk