[COM] Festival Plaza Tower 1 | 115m | 27 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

#1246 Post by SRW » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:56 am

I guess it does makes sense for Flinders to have a significant CBD presence given they now need to compete more vigorously for domestic students (in the ongoing absence of internationals). But hypothetically, if ever the debate for university mergers re-emerges (which is possible in the timeframe this will take to be built), folding Flinders into UniSA makes the most sense to me, so I wonder if this outpost would survive.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#1247 Post by Bob » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:24 pm

I imagine Flinders Uni will be going for 'naming rights' for the building if they are planning a significance presence here, having a lit logo on the building top would be prominent in that location.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#1248 Post by notmichaeljfox » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:45 pm

Flinders Uni employee here, who's scheduled to move to the city. :)
  • Those who guessed a major expansion of the city presence are correct - the majority of one of the 6 colleges will be moving there. Not saying which one until it's publicly confirmed (I like my job).
  • The train line was a BIG drawcard for this location. More staff will have to move back and forth during the day, which is surprisingly complicated to do at the moment. At present, staff tend to camp out at a location for the day.
  • @Patrick_27 Our CBD presence is bigger than most expect - every couple of years we take another floor of the current building. I think we have 6.5 floors now.
  • @SRW This plan predates Covid-19, but it's not being done for the fun of it.
  • @Bob Every major tenant in the building would be mad not to want to get their logo up there and have it shown nightly on the news.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1249 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm

Happy with Flinders as a tenant.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#1250 Post by Nort » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:04 pm

notmichaeljfox wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:45 pm
  • Those who guessed a major expansion of the city presence are correct - the majority of one of the 6 colleges will be moving there. Not saying which one until it's publicly confirmed (I like my job).
Hmm. There is:
  • Business, Government and Law
    Education, Psychology and Social Work
    Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
    Medicine and Public Health
    Nursing and Health Sciences
    Science and Engineering
My bet would be Business, Government and Law

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1251 Post by Spotto » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:10 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:04 pm
notmichaeljfox wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:45 pm
My bet would be Business, Government and Law
Also, the main buildings used by that college (Social Sciences South, Law & Commerce) are aging and in need of refurbishment. By relocating, those buildings can either be repurposed for a different use or demolished and replaced.

Also, the sciences side of the lake (south side) has missed out on many of the infrastructure redevelopments at Flinders which have mainly happened at Tonsley or on the north side of the lake where the other colleges are centred. By moving Business, Government and Law off of main campus it could allow for some of the sciences to be temporarily relocated to allow for redevelopment on the south side of the lake.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1252 Post by how good is he » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:40 pm

I am thinking medicine as it’s near the big new bio-medical hub. This new building and great CBD location would certainly help also to attract the big paying international students (or their parents). Is medicine also the most “in demand” degree? As I always remember it’s ATAR being ridiculously high, like 99.9.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1253 Post by Spotto » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:54 pm

how good is he wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:40 pm
I am thinking medicine as it’s near the big new bio-medical hub. This new building and great CBD location would certainly help also to attract the big paying international students (or their parents). Is medicine also the most “in demand” degree? As I always remember it’s ATAR being ridiculously high, like 99.9.
Medicine is already co-located with Flinders Medical Centre which is right next door (and at Sturt Campus). Why would you then move all the way into the CBD to a site that is halfway down North Terrace away from the RAH?

Nort

#1254 Post by Nort » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:55 pm

Yeah the medical center seems like a better location for any classrooms related to nursing.

Business/law/government also has the advantage that it would need facilities more similar to a standard office building than any other discipline, and having that college right next door to State Parliament is a good selling point.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Festival Plaza Redevelopment | $800 million

#1255 Post by citywatcher » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:29 pm

notmichaeljfox wrote:Flinders Uni employee here, who's scheduled to move to the city. :)
  • The train line was a BIG drawcard for this location. More staff will have to move back and forth during the day, which is surprisingly complicated to do at the moment. At present, staff tend to camp out at a location for the day.
  • @Patrick_27 Our CBD presence is bigger than most expect - every couple of years we take another floor of the current building. I think we have 6.5 floors now.
  • @SRW This plan predates Covid-19, but it's not being done for the fun of it.
  • @Bob Every major tenant in the building would be mad not to want to get their logo up there and have it shown nightly on the news.
When??

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1256 Post by Norman » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:59 pm

I remember doing a International Relations topic at the Victoria Square building, so a move of Law and Government would seem like a good move!

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#1257 Post by notmichaeljfox » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:13 am

Well, I can't stop you all from guessing. :lol: Just don't expect me to confirm or deny anything until it's public knowledge - I really like my job.
Nort wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:55 pm
Business/law/government also has the advantage that it would need facilities more similar to a standard office building than any other discipline, and having that college right next door to State Parliament is a good selling point.
Not to give a hint one way or the other, but I will say that an office building can be furbished to meet any specifications. There are no longer large chunks of land available for development in Australian CBDs and the two new medical buildings on North Terrace are standard practice for city campuses these days, and UniSA's expansion around Hindley Street is an outlier.
Spotto wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:10 pm
Also, the main buildings used by that college (Social Sciences South, Law & Commerce) are aging and in need of refurbishment. By relocating, those buildings can either be repurposed for a different use or demolished and replaced.

Also, the sciences side of the lake (south side) has missed out on many of the infrastructure redevelopments at Flinders which have mainly happened at Tonsley or on the north side of the lake where the other colleges are centred. By moving Business, Government and Law off of main campus it could allow for some of the sciences to be temporarily relocated to allow for redevelopment on the south side of the lake.
Social Sciences South was refurbished 6-7 years ago. Law & Commerce had teaching spaces refurbished 18 months ago (and is less than 30 years old). They're not coming down anytime soon.

I'm not sure how well you could move Sciences temporarily, as some labs will have specific needs.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1258 Post by Spotto » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:04 am

notmichaeljfox wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:13 am
Social Sciences South was refurbished 6-7 years ago. Law & Commerce had teaching spaces refurbished 18 months ago (and is less than 30 years old). They're not coming down anytime soon.
Oops, I meant Social Sciences North, SSS is the nice one. :lol:

I didn’t know Law & Commerce had been recently refurbished though, haven’t seen it for some time. Though I wouldn’t have guessed it was less than 30 years old...

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#1259 Post by Bob » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:01 am

If Flinders Uni are proposing to be the anchor tenant, and propose to have naming rights, I wonder how many floors they plan to take up?

Can you give us a better clue without putting yourself at employment risk?

Algernon

#1260 Post by Algernon » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:27 pm

Bob wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:01 am
If Flinders Uni are proposing to be the anchor tenant, and propose to have naming rights, I wonder how many floors they plan to take up?

Can you give us a better clue without putting yourself at employment risk?
Depends on the building managent. Sometimes they just bundle the rights in with the lease of the top floors only. AFAIK, the only tenant of the state debt building that ever actually leased a substantial portion of the building was the original state bank/bank sa. One of the later tennants got their logo on top leasing 2-3 floors only.