[PRO] 314 King William Street | ~65m | 18 Lvls | All Suites Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: 314 King William Street | ~65m | 18 Lvls | All Suites Ho

#16 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:57 am

Another fine addition to the emerging KWS South precinct.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ho Really

#17 Post by Ho Really » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:46 pm

Most of these buildings down King William Street are on small allotments and will have plenty of bare cement walls. This one may end up OK. Noticed the south facade has balconies. At least it's not a bare cement wall considering there's another building next door.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by slenderman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:29 pm

Ho Really wrote:Most of these buildings down King William Street are on small allotments and will have plenty of bare cement walls. This one may end up OK. Noticed the south facade has balconies. At least it's not a bare cement wall considering there's another building next door.

Cheers
Yeah, I think this one will turn out decently (assuming of course that it is built). I'm glad that the southern wall has some balconies and detail, but the blank northern wall is a bit of a problem. This one's wall isn't super ugly and it's fairly inoffensive. They have put some effort in with the little setback in the middle that appears to have windows, like the Urbanest one on North Terrace, but this one will be quite dominating. Sadly with greater height comes greater prominence of these blank walls as well.

I agree that something needs to be done about the blank walls in these proposals. I understand that there isn't a whole lot of point putting in a nice wall if something will eventually be built there, but this is not the case here.

This is yet another site where the heritage in the immediate surrounds (Crown and Sceptre Hotel, Magistrates Court) means that nothing will be built to hide the wall from view, which is also an issue because the wall we be visible from Victoria Square. If windows can''t be put in, then perhaps put some large artwork along the wall like the Art Apartments (although that one turned out quite small if memory serves me correctly)?

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Mpol » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:51 pm

I totally agree. These new porposals have come with a stupid amount of blank walls. With more and more being built I find it totally unacceptable that they are part of the design. It's hideous.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by Mants » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:14 pm

it reminds me of the ill-fated Bentham Street apartment proposal from way back when.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by crawf » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:20 am

^^Memories...
I remember the huge amount of excitement and long discussions over this proposal when I first joined this forum. Times have certainly changed now.

Patrick_27

#22 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:16 am

crawf wrote:^^Memories...
I remember the huge amount of excitement and long discussions over this proposal when I first joined this forum. Times have certainly changed now.
I remember the huge amount of excitement and long discussion over this proposal when I first started stalking these forums, haha!

I feel like this building render is now the going design for most of Melbourne's Southbank precinct.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Took this from the site, apologies about the reflection.
Attachments
kw1.JPG
kw1.JPG (62.25 KiB) Viewed 3092 times