News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion : New Restaurants, Bars & Night Clubs

#526 Post by Nathan » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:04 pm

All the food courts have been struggling since Covid. There's still a significant number of people that haven't returned back to their offices full time, and it's reflected in the lunch trade. City Cross is even worse than Myer Centre.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#527 Post by A-Town » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:43 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:04 pm
All the food courts have been struggling since Covid. There's still a significant number of people that haven't returned back to their offices full time, and it's reflected in the lunch trade. City Cross is even worse than Myer Centre.
Fridays are a ghost town in the city with office workers. It's the new WFH day for many. Hopefully more return to the office in the warmer months, and with vaccination targets met, bosses encourage workers to return to the office more often.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#528 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:32 pm

A-Town wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:43 pm
Nathan wrote:
Fridays are a ghost town in the city with office workers. It's the new WFH day for many. Hopefully more return to the office in the warmer months, and with vaccination targets met, bosses encourage workers to return to the office more often.
Really? Anecdotally, the mall last Friday was pretty busy, and the bars I walked past similarly occupied.

Algernon

#529 Post by Algernon » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:56 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:32 pm
A-Town wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Really? Anecdotally, the mall last Friday was pretty busy, and the bars I walked past similarly occupied.
Probably because people WFH the go to the pub after as usual. It's a world wide trend and becoming a bit of a cancer on workplaces IMO. When my company (few hundred people) went on home office, there was a huge fear from management that it wouldn't work, but the numbers sang. Now they're too scared to force people back. The issue is that although the numbers sang at first, people are starting to become lazy assed fucks and going rogue without any proper way of enforcing company standards anymore. I think it's clear now that it can't be one or the other, but a balance of both office and WFH. For food courts I suppose that means 50% of your lunch business. Sorry guys, world turned.

I don't know how long Aussies have been working from home, but I assume a little bit behind because the pandemic hadn't really hit as hard and as early there? We went on home office in March 2020 and it was to coincide with full lockdown. We ended up spending almost the entire year on full lock down (basically supermarket or pharmacy or stay home). After about a year of 100% full home office, the thing had started to fall apart.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#530 Post by A-Town » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:39 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:32 pm
A-Town wrote:
Nathan wrote:
There are far less office workers than there used to be in the city on Fridays. I work in an office building in the CBD and see it every week. Chat with cafe owners in areas where office towers are concentrated and they'll tell you the same thing. That's not to say parts of the city aren't busy with shoppers, tourists etc like the Mall, especially in school holidays.

Llessur2002

#531 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:54 am

Pre-COVID there were about 600 people from my organisation working in my CBD office on any given day. Thanks to home working the number in the building each day has dropped to around 300. On Fridays it's around 50, sometimes less.

it seems that everyone wants to work from home on a Friday which I personally find a bit weird as it's a great day to be in the office - the weekend's approaching so people start to relax and have knock-off drinks etc.

Monday conversely is a rubbish day to be at work. Hence I WFH on Mondays.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#532 Post by HiTouch » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:26 pm

I doubt the same numbers will ever return to work now that the option of Working from Home has been encouraged by workplaces. I don't blame them. There are days where I don't need to come into town for work and the only reason to commute would be to flirt with Large Marge the middle aged receptionist. This not a drawcard.

Because of COVID, I predict that the function of a CBD will change as it alrady is. This is why one of the easiest ways to encourage CBD nightlife is to encourage city-living and city-access.

The Scooter Guy

#533 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:01 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:41 pm
The Myer Centre food court has defninetly seen better days.
It's now two years since Eating In Italy on the North Tce end closed its doors.
So far, it is now being used as a storage room.
As far as I'm concerned, I don't think the Myer Centre is going to last much longer if it keeps going this way, especially without Dazzeland for two decades.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Smithy84
Gold-Member ;)

#534 Post by Smithy84 » Tue May 17, 2022 1:55 pm

Unfortunately Wing It sports bar on KW street has gone into liquidation and is now closed, per their Facebook page.

The Scooter Guy

#535 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue May 17, 2022 5:06 pm

Smithy84 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:55 pm
Unfortunately Wing It sports bar on KW street has gone into liquidation and is now closed, per their Facebook page.
"We will be closing our doors permanently as of today. After months of negotiating, unsuccessfully, with our landlords we have had no other choice than to go into liquidation. We opened our doors 4 months before the pandemic struck and have never quite bounced back. This is as sudden for us as it is for anyone, so we apologise for all upcoming reservations inconvenience. Trust me when I say we have explored all options and exhausted them.
A huge thankyou to all of our regulars that still made the journey into the city while working from home. We've enjoyed making new friends along the way. For those of you that know us well, our other venues are all still operating and you will still see our faces behind bars or cooking food."
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Nathan

#536 Post by Nathan » Tue May 17, 2022 5:27 pm

After months of negotiating
and
This is as sudden for us as it is for anyone
:|

[Shuz]

#537 Post by [Shuz] » Tue May 17, 2022 8:16 pm

They literally had signs out the front not even a week ago looking for wait staff.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#538 Post by rev » Wed May 18, 2022 12:26 pm

I guess they thought they would be able to come to an agreement with their landlord but obviously hasn't worked out that way.

Hopefully they manage to sort their finances out and open up in a new spot.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#539 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:40 pm

New restaurant on Gilbert Street has opened. Called "Bar Riot".

whatstheirnamesmom
Gold-Member ;)

#540 Post by whatstheirnamesmom » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:55 pm

timtam20292 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:40 pm
New restaurant on Gilbert Street has opened. Called "Bar Riot".
Can get wine on tap by the liter... didn't eat but looked expensive. Love the interior design. Outdoor seating great for a Summer's night.