[CAN] 1-8 North Terrace | 108m | 2 x 32 Levels | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] 1-8 North Terrace | 108m | 2 x 32 Levels | Apartments

#1 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:15 pm

I believe this is additional to the Enigma 8 development, sounds like it will be quite large.
Type: Schedule 10

Application Number: S10/55/2015

Lodgement Date: 11/11/2015

Description: Two mixed use residential towers and Hotel.

Applicant Names: AZURE REALTY P/L

Dvious
Legendary Member!

[CAN] Re: 1-8 North Terrace |~TBA | TBA | Residential and Hotel

#2 Post by Dvious » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:59 pm

I have heard on the grapevine both towers around 25 floors each!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:36 pm

That's promising.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Ho Really » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:46 pm

Dvious wrote:I have heard on the grapevine both towers around 25 floors each!
Wow! I should leave Adelaide more often and come back to news like this. I guess everytime I'm in Singapore marvelling at the changes happening there every 6-12 months I come back dreaming!

Two towers on the edge of town will be very impressive from the flightpath.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:32 pm

This goes before the DAC on Thursday who are expected to approve.

There are 2 towers up to 82m. The taller one penetrates the PAN-OPS during construction and the OLS by a massive 51m. CASA will need to approve this one. This is probably the biggest "penetration" we have seen. Excuse my language ;)

Over 400 apartments over 24 levels.
The proposed development will penetrate the Obstacle Limitation Surface (OLS) by approximately 52.8 metres. During construction, the crane will penetrate the Procedures for Air Navigation Services – Aircraft Operations (PANS-OPS) surfaces.
Accordingly, the application was referred to Adelaide Airport Limited.
Adelaide Airport Limited has advised that as the proposal will infringe the PANS-OPS surfaces during construction, the airport is ‘unable to support or comment on whether the application will be approved by the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development (DIRD) until the PANS-OPS infringement is assessed’.
The applicant is aware that the proposal is subject to Commonwealth Legislation. Should approval not be granted by DIRD, the applicant will be required to lodge an application for a varied scheme.
It is recommended that a condition be imposed requiring approval from DIRD prior to the commencement of any site works.
Attachments
NT1.JPG
NT1.JPG (107.71 KiB) Viewed 11623 times
nt2.JPG
nt2.JPG (31.41 KiB) Viewed 11626 times
nt3.JPG
nt3.JPG (171.42 KiB) Viewed 11626 times
nt4.JPG
nt4.JPG (94.42 KiB) Viewed 11626 times
nt5.JPG
nt5.JPG (115.18 KiB) Viewed 11626 times
nt6.JPG
nt6.JPG (116.86 KiB) Viewed 11626 times
nt7.JPG
nt7.JPG (102.9 KiB) Viewed 11626 times
nt8.JPG
nt8.JPG (216.28 KiB) Viewed 11626 times

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

[CAN] Re: 1-8 North Terrace | 82m | 2 x 24 Levels | Apartments

#6 Post by Alyx » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:35 pm

A welcome development, but I feel the design of both towers - particularly in a location as prominent as this - leaves a lot to be desired.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:58 pm

Soon we will have tallies close to 80m on all 4 terraces (if the Rundle Street proposal get resubmitted) our CBD will be huge in size. Will look awesome from the airport. Just need a couple of a 150m + thrown in.

Llessur2002

#8 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:38 pm

Alyx wrote:A welcome development, but I feel the design of both towers - particularly in a location as prominent as this - leaves a lot to be desired.
Have to agree with this - it's not an eyesore as such but then again it's not exactly the architectural beauty that should accompany this prominent spot and the existing heritage building below.

Nathan

#9 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:39 pm

These would be fine elsewhere, but there're pretty bland for such a prominent site. Not really doing much to frame the Newmarket very well either.

crowdoc
Gold-Member ;)

#10 Post by crowdoc » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:22 pm

The biggest issue for the air space to Adelaide Airport is going to be operations on the heliport of the New RAH. The helicopters will be flying through the Airports main commercial flight path to land, when they travel from the North. A crane on this site for 12 months will be the least of the problems for commercial air traffic.

ghs

#11 Post by ghs » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:22 pm

Another 2 apartment buildings - 24 levels each, it amazes
me how many proposals are coming through. I wonder how
Adelaide is going compared to Perth in terms of proposals. They might
have a few taller proposals but do they have as many as Adelaide ?

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by slenderman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:06 pm

Focusing purely on the design and not the impact on HQ, I actually quite like this compared to the rest of you. I like that little sky bridge thing connecting the two buildings. In isolation I think it's a fine building.

However, I do agree that this might be a little to close to the Newmarket Hotel. I'm really not sure how to design a high rise sympathetic to the Newmarket and I'm not sure if there should be one. Along with the Botanic and the Stag, it was clearly designed as the sort of building that would draw your attention and make an impact as you enter the CBD. Needs a little room to "breathe".

I would like to see this development elsewhere though. That empty block on Waymouth Street perhaps? Or the Truscotts carpark which is looking exponentially more eyesore each day.
ghs wrote:Another 2 apartment buildings - 24 levels each, it amazes
me how many proposals are coming through. I wonder how
Adelaide is going compared to Perth in terms of proposals. They might
have a few taller proposals but do they have as many as Adelaide ?
I think I read on SSC that Perth has something like 47 cranes on the skyline at the moment. I understand that some are probably to do with the new stadium they're building, but they're still most probably quite comfortably outperforming us.

Sadly there's a difference between proposals and construction. For all the proposals we've had, we only have 7 cranes up at the moment (plus another one going up), although that number will almost certainly reach double figures at some stage next year. But still, even tiny little Hobart has 4 cranes at the moment. That said, it could be argued that this recent surge of proposals is because developers can see the demand.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by thecityguy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Don't mind these at all, providing that the finishes are good quality. It's just a little disappointing with the blank walls on 2 sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Who actually owns HQ? Is it that car park guy? Or does he just own the land and buildings on the site?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Ben » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:17 pm

you're welcome Anthony...

City nightclub HQ to be demolished for $200 million twin-tower hotel at Newmarket Hotel

4 minutes ago
ANTHONY TEMPLETONCITY EDITOR
The Advertiser

ONE of Adelaide’s popular nightclubs will be demolished for a $200 million high-rise residential and retail development on its busy city location.

HQ Complex nightclub, which attracts thousands of revellers each weekend, will close to make way for the development at 1 North Tce.

The proposal surrounding the Newmarket Hotel, presented to the Development Assessment Commission today, includes two towers, measuring 24-storeys or 82m tall.

It has been recommended for approval, despite concerns about the building height, heritage issues and unit size.

Construction would require the demolition of some parts of the heritage-listed pub, such as a side wing to the building and former stables, while a 43m height limit exists in the area.

The HQ club, formerly known as Heaven, will also be demolished. A date has yet to be revealed. The proposal includes 400 apartments — with a mix of studio, one, two and three-bedroom units ranging in size between 32sqm to 130sqm — swimming pool, gymnasium, barbecue area and 112 carparks

The building also includes room for 200 bicycle spaces, although that is below a threshold required for a development of its size. The heritage-listed pub would be restored under the plans before the DAC, the state’s independent planning body.

Architects from the State Government’s Office for Design and Architecture SA supported parts of the plan but criticised the design of certain studio apartments in the development. The development is over height limits and would impact on the heritage pub.

Company One North Terrace Pty Ltd is behind the plans. A company spokesman declined to comment.

“At the lower levels, the narrowness of the smallest south-facing studios is likely to result in poor amenity, particularly in relation to balcony depth and access to light and ventilation for bedrooms,” the report stated.

It said the development was over height limits and would impact on the heritage pub.

“Whilst not ideal, departures from policy regarding minimum apartment sizes is seen to be mitigated by its location relative to the Parklands and storage areas are also short for the majority of the apartments, however, each apartment has been provided with a storage area.”

A 13-storey residential development in Kent Town — on the site of the current carpark of the Royal Hotel — will also be assessed by the commission on Thursday.

The development, on North Tce, includes 50 apartments ranging between one and three bedrooms.

The commission will also determine whether to approve an application for an additional floor to be added to a seven-storey apartment building currently under construction on Surflen St.