News & Discussion: Chinatown

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Chinatown

#46 Post by SRW » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Wasn't Moonta Street repaved within the last five years? Not saying it wouldn't benefit from an upgrade, but council hasn't exactly neglected it either. I doubt there'll be any further investment until the market proper is redeveloped once all back in council hands in 2018.
Keep Adelaide Weird

metro
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by metro » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:21 pm

I've been to a lot of Chinatowns around AU and Adelaide's is pretty much exactly the same as the rest of them. I've never noticed anything wrong with the paving/lighting on Moonta St, but Field St just across Gouger St has almost no footpath, it literally is a dirty concrete jungle with no seating.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by dbl96 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:12 pm

metro wrote:I've been to a lot of Chinatowns around AU and Adelaide's is pretty much exactly the same as the rest of them. I've never noticed anything wrong with the paving/lighting on Moonta St, but Field St just across Gouger St has almost no footpath, it literally is a dirty concrete jungle with no seating.
Yes. I have no idea what people are complaining about re Moonta Street. Its actually one of the best maintained and attractive of the council's many footpaths. There are many other areas of the city which are much more deserving of footpath and lighting maintenence including many of the other streets in the Market precinct like Field Street, the surrounding lanes and even parts of Grote and Gouger Streets.

Generally, Adelaide City Council does an absolutely appalling job of footpath maintenance. Every other council area in the metropolitan area seems to have a systematic policy of gradually upgrading and replacing old, ashphelt, and unpaved footpaths with high quality brick or paver paved footpaths. Even in relatively poorer areas of the suburbs, councils appear to be making very good progress with providing high quality and attractive paved footpaths. But ACC seems to be completely hopeless on this matter, which is quite disgraceful when you consider this is the part of the city which most visitors see. Almost all footpaths in the ACC area are either ashphelt or large concrete block paving, nearly all in various stages of disrepair. It seems absurd that they can't even manage this most basic of council functions which can do so much to improve the attractiveness of an area.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#49 Post by ghs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Anyone know what the situation is with the new food court ?

It was supposed to open for the Chinese New year which was 3 months ago.

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#50 Post by SuperEgz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:54 am

ghs wrote:Anyone know what the situation is with the new food court ?

It was supposed to open for the Chinese New year which was 3 months ago.
I found the food court redevelopment's Facebook page and sent them a private message yesterday. This was their response:
Hi Nicholas. We moving quickly through the late stages of the development and will be making announcements about opening dates and details very soon. Please keep up to date with the Facebook page to know more! Cheers.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ChinatownPlazaAdelaide/

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#51 Post by ghs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:03 pm

From the Chinatown Plaza facebook site :
Attachments
19367815_360247244373588_4822554640484663296_n.jpg
19367815_360247244373588_4822554640484663296_n.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 2498 times