[COM] 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

#1591 Post by Ben » Sun May 10, 2020 6:44 pm

Norman wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:33 pm
The LED strip looks to have been fixed, it is now fully in sync. It also looks better when the floors below have some lights turned on.
Do you know what’s funny, since Friday the realm one has been broken and is now two colors. This is why I hate these tacky light features. They’re always poorly maintained.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

#1592 Post by Norman » Sun May 10, 2020 6:49 pm

Ben wrote:
Norman wrote:
The LED strip looks to have been fixed, it is now fully in sync. It also looks better when the floors below have some lights turned on.
Do you know what’s funny, since Friday the realm one has been broken and is now two colors. This is why I hate these tacky light features. They’re always poorly maintained.
To be honest, I like them. They give a clear indication of the height of the building and adds to the skyline at night, especially when driving down from higher ground such as along Greenhill Road or the Superway.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

#1593 Post by SRW » Sun May 10, 2020 6:51 pm

Ben wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:44 pm
Norman wrote:
I noticed Realm's was wack earlier last week. I don't mind them, but it's surprising they cause so much trouble given it's pretty simple technology. And they probably won't stay in use for very long either -- both Precinct's and Aurora's only lasted a few months, IIRC. I can't imagine body corps being happy to pay for upkeep.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1594 Post by Ben » Sun May 10, 2020 6:56 pm

I also like the idea of them but as Srw said the history of upkeep in Adelaide does not look promising for their future. If they can’t be maintained they shouldn’t be done at all imo.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1595 Post by Ben » Sun May 10, 2020 7:41 pm

Can confirm it’s still broken too on southern side.
Attachments
D403EF36-2C75-41FA-A74E-917E80BACB92.jpeg

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#1596 Post by Mpol03 » Sun May 10, 2020 9:21 pm

Have people started to move in?

AdrianH
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1597 Post by AdrianH » Mon May 11, 2020 8:47 am

Mpol03 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:21 pm
Have people started to move in?
From 20th May after settlements of the apartments take place

BSK
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1598 Post by BSK » Mon May 11, 2020 11:09 am

Not at all surprising to see something is broken... and the LED strip is no orphan on this project.

I would suggest the following reasons;

a) Kyren site staff are incompetent
b) Kyren cut corners and their builds are second rate
c) Kyren do not like to pay their bills therefore work is incomplete
d) All the above

From what I have been informed from people on the job, 'all the above' would apply.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1599 Post by how good is he » Mon May 11, 2020 11:31 am

I make no comment on this specific building [as I don't know] but to balance the argument, the cost saving of a developer doing the build themselves rather than engaging say a commercial tier 1 builder may be the difference of say $30m and that may be the profit, the difference about making a project viable, of it getting out of the ground, blah blah blah. So the question is, is it better to get something happening even with the points your mention or get nothing at all?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1600 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:40 pm

The glazing is horrible, driving along North Terrace during the daytime, you can see all of the hotel curtains... There is zero reflection on the windows. I can understand if you cheap'd out on glazing if the building was similar to those around Victoria Square, but the glazing is what was meant to make or break this building.

Nort

#1601 Post by Nort » Tue May 12, 2020 6:12 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:40 pm
The glazing is horrible, driving along North Terrace during the daytime, you can see all of the hotel curtains... There is zero reflection on the windows. I can understand if you cheap'd out on glazing if the building was similar to those around Victoria Square, but the glazing is what was meant to make or break this building.
I'm looking forward to the first comments when people see naked hotel guests from the street.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1602 Post by rev » Wed May 13, 2020 8:20 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
I've said it before, that we get nothing but cheap as shit developments here, and people piss their pants when I'm critical.
This is a perfect example of a cheap as shit result.

Why are so many piss poor sub standard developments approved in this city? There's a few exceptions of course.
Planning laws with regards to design and even materials used should be changed so that we get a higher standard of design and a better quality of building materials/finishes used.
Because obviously not every developer gives a shit about the final product being of a high standard in either design or materials/finish.
Personally if I was in their shoes, I'd be embarrassed. If I was an architect, I wouldn't my name or firm associated with such rubbish.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#1603 Post by cmet » Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm

rev wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
I've said it before, that we get nothing but cheap as shit developments here, and people piss their pants when I'm critical.

Why are so many piss poor sub standard developments approved in this city? There's a few exceptions of course.
Planning laws with regards to design and even materials used should be changed so that we get a higher standard of design and a better quality of building materials/finishes used.
Because obviously not every developer gives a shit about the final product being of a high standard in either design or materials/finish.
Personally if I was in their shoes, I'd be embarrassed. If I was an architect, I wouldn't my name or firm associated with such rubbish.
What you don’t understand is things are built for profit. In cities such as Sydney and Melbourne, developers can yield a higher return for appartments, office, hotel etc. in Sydney a REIT can get around $700/yr/sqm for prime office space, more in some locations. In Adelaide that number is much lower. For a development to be profitable, the developer simply needs to save money in the construction phase. The reality is if developers were held to the same standards they were in other states in SA, there would be very few projects ever getting off the ground. It’s also worth noting that the cost to build large scale projects only differs marginally state to state. So if you were a big developer why would you invest in Adelaide unless is was going to be a lower cost build that is only acceptable here because it wouldn’t be approved/competitive in the major centres.

Patrick_27

#1604 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:55 pm

cmet wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm
rev wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:

What you don’t understand is things are built for profit. In cities such as Sydney and Melbourne, developers can yield a higher return for appartments, office, hotel etc. in Sydney a REIT can get around $700/yr/sqm for prime office space, more in some locations. In Adelaide that number is much lower. For a development to be profitable, the developer simply needs to save money in the construction phase. The reality is if developers were held to the same standards they were in other states in SA, there would be very few projects ever getting off the ground. It’s also worth noting that the cost to build large scale projects only differs marginally state to state. So if you were a big developer why would you invest in Adelaide unless is was going to be a lower cost build that is only acceptable here because it wouldn’t be approved/competitive in the major centres.
I'm sorry but that is bullshit. This already had a smallish price tag, the developer went into this merely trying to maximise profits, and had zero intention of it looking a high standard. Realm is proof in the pudding that you can still have a great building with higher quality materials used and not have to break the bank (ironic that it was a Melbourne firm who got it off the ground). Like rev, I called this out early on for Samaras/Kyren having a terrible track record for the final product of their buildings, which lo and behold, what do we have here, but was shut down as being anti-development.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#1605 Post by cmet » Wed May 13, 2020 4:48 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
cmet wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm
rev wrote: I've said it before, that we get nothing but cheap as shit developments here, and people piss their pants when I'm critical.

I'm sorry but that is bullshit. This already had a smallish price tag, the developer went into this merely trying to maximise profits, and had zero intention of it looking a high standard. Realm is proof in the pudding that you can still have a great building with higher quality materials used and not have to break the bank (ironic that it was a Melbourne firm who got it off the ground). Like rev, I called this out early on for Samaras/Kyren having a terrible track record for the final product of their buildings, which lo and behold, what do we have here, but was shut down as being anti-development.
Im talking in general, the average quality of developments here. Not specificity about this dev.