[VIS] University of Adelaide Redevelopment (Main Campus)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] University of Adelaide Redevelopment (North Tce Campus)

#16 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Mpol wrote:It would be great if this could then make way for Uni SA to really re-develop their City West campus, especially the North Terrace side. I have heard there are further plans, and I love what they have done with the new additions to that campus. But lets be honest. The red brick, yellow finishing are beyond dated and tacky.

Would really lift North Terrace and hopefully make way for better projects that aren't tacky student accom.
There's been quite a tick tock of late between Adelaide Uni and UniSA in terms of building. That said UniSA has spent quite a lot already over the last few years.

ml69
Legendary Member!

[VIS] Re: University of Adelaide Redevelopment (North Tce Campus)

#17 Post by ml69 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:30 am

Does anyone know who the architects are?

Brilliant inspiring design!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Ben » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:38 pm

Starting already?
Type: Application Assessed on Merit
Application Number: DA/668/2016
Lodgement Date: 23/09/2016
Description: Demolition of 1961 addition and conservation of North Facade of Elder Hall and upgrade of public realm to the north - to be undertaken in stages.
Applicant Name

UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by how good is he » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Curious if anyone knows how profitable Adelaide Uni is (pa) and its approx net wealth? To undertake this $1billion of re-development works in the next 30 years would be very impressive. They haven't mentioned anything about govt grants so is it to be self funded? Also how does UniSA & Flinders Uni compare financially?

Nathan

#20 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:51 pm

how good is he wrote:Curious if anyone knows how profitable Adelaide Uni is (pa) and its approx net wealth? To undertake this $1billion of re-development works in the next 30 years would be very impressive. They haven't mentioned anything about govt grants so is it to be self funded? Also how does UniSA & Flinders Uni compare financially?
From the news story:
The university would have to fund the entrance building but partners, such as superannuation funds and private developers, would be sought for the 24-storey tower and student accommodation building.
So I'd imagine they'd be seeking similar partnerships for future building.

Llessur2002

#21 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:47 am

how good is he wrote:Curious if anyone knows how profitable Adelaide Uni is (pa) and its approx net wealth? To undertake this $1billion of re-development works in the next 30 years would be very impressive. They haven't mentioned anything about govt grants so is it to be self funded? Also how does UniSA & Flinders Uni compare financially?
https://www.adelaide.edu.au/publication ... ort-15.pdf

serca
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by serca » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:48 pm

Thats brilliant! :cheers:

Good to see the Schultz building get a facelift too, one of the biggest eyesores in our skyline IMO.
It would be interesting to see what the universities revenues are? Education is our third biggest export and they are extremely lucrative.

This helps explain all of the student accom going up around town

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by slenderman » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:09 am

There's a little 3D model of the development in Hub Central at the uni. I'll see if I can take some pictures later.

Llessur2002

#24 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Some snippets gleaned today. Sorry if any of it's been mentioned before or is blindingly obvious from the renders but I wanted to get it all down before any of it escaped my rather porous mind...
  1. Architects for the entrance building are Sydney's FJMT.
  2. Excitingly, the timeframe for completion of the stunning entrance building is 4 years. :) I presume this will include the demolition of the Ligertwood building too but I did not clarify.
  3. The building which will replace the Ligertwood will feature dining on the ground floor.
  4. Where the car park adjacent to North Terrace currently sits there will be an underground conference centre (the skylight of which can be seen rising up from the greenery in front of the entrance building in renders).
  5. The University's extensive art collection which is currently in storage will be on public display in the underground building.
  6. The southern part of the campus from North Terrace to approximately the Barr Smith Library will be effectively levelled by construction of a new 'underground' (i.e. above existing ground level but covered) car park behind the new Arts building.
  7. All existing campus surface roads will be closed and pedestrianised. All vehicle access to the campus parking will be from Frome Road.
  8. The Student Hub will be extended significantly to the east over the new underground car park.
  9. The University tram stop will be located as close to the corner of Pulteney Street and North Terrace as possible.
  10. The new building behind the entrance building will house the Faculty of Arts.
  11. The new tower on the corner of Pulteney St and NT will house the Faculty of the Professions - the tower will most likely be funded by a large super company.
  12. The existing Nexus 10 tower will likely be repurposed as an administrative building.
  13. The refaced Schultz Building will be re-purposed as on-campus accommodation for approximately 600 students - this will likely be funded by an external student accommodation company and could feasibly begin within the short term.
  14. The University could utilise some of the old RAH buildings on Frome Road temporarily whilst new buildings are under construction.
Masterplan Executive Summary is now on the UoA website: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/infrastructu ... 13_web.pdf

There are a couple of renders in there which I don't think have been published before.
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by slenderman » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:55 pm

Nathan wrote:Also spotted in the video - eventual plans to demolish and replace their medical buildings on the eastern side of Frome St. I'd be surprised if the south building isn't heritage listing, and believe the north building is worthy of preservation as well.
I bump this because I noticed in the new renders in the link Llessur posted and also looking again at that flyover video that Engineering North will also be demolished. While not as grand as Barr Smith Library or other old red brick buildings on the campus, I think that externally it's a nice red brick building which I think should be preserved, or at least the facade somehow retained in whatever new structure replaces it (still looks pretty nondescript).

But more to the point of your post, Medical School South should certainly be kept. It's a very good looking old 1940s(?) highrise building, something we don't have very many of in Adelaide.

While the rest of the redevelopment plan looks great, I hope they reconsider what they do with these two buildings.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by Ben » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:43 am

Does anyone know whats happening with the building on the corner of North terrace and pulteney. its been completely gutted.

Taken last night.

Llessur2002

#27 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:25 pm

Ben wrote:Does anyone know whats happening with the building on the corner of North terrace and pulteney. its been completely gutted.
Something to do with this:
ThincLab Adelaide is a purpose-built collaborative space designed to host start-ups, researchers, mentors, industry and government. Opening mid-2017, construction has begun on the ground floor of Nexus 10 (corner of Pulteney St and North Tce). The new space will consist of the ThincLab Incubator, a new TechLab with 3D printing facilities and will host the Australian eChallenge suite of venture acceleration programs, and Adelaide Enterprise.
Not sure what this means for the proposed new tower on this site - that was said to be the likely first stage of the masterplan implementation so I can only assume it's not on the cards for at least the next few years.

Although I have also heard that the impending departure of the current VC could impact whether or not any of the proposals go ahead at all.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by floplo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:00 am

Yes, it's the ThincLab getting space there (as well as some office moves, student services, computer rooms, etc)

The tower proposal doesn't have a business plan yet, so I assume it will take some time before anything gets more realistic. And yes, obviously nothing will move in any way before a new VC is installed and gives a go ahead.

Llessur2002

#29 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Hopefully, given his track record in Tassie, this bodes well for the University's planned developments set out in the masterplan a few months back...
Adelaide University appoints former undergraduate and lecturer Peter Rathjen as vice-chancellor

ADELAIDE University’s new vice-chancellor is former undergraduate and lecturer Peter Rathjen.

A renowned stem cell researcher, Professor Rathjen has been the University of Tasmania’s vice-chancellor since 2011, winning acclaim for driving economic development and creating more accessible degrees.

Professor Rathjen’s appointment was confirmed by Adelaide University chancellor and former governor Kevin Scarce, who said he would start early next year.
Professor Rathjen made the University of Tasmania the state’s biggest property developer, with projects including a planned $400 million science, technology and maths campus in Hobart’s CBD.

A University-backed $96 million digital, creative and performing arts centre is being built in Hobart, while $300 million is being spent in Tasmania’s north and northwest.
Full story: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 85c74335ed

Llessur2002

#30 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:06 pm

Small update announced today:
Masterplan update

Work on the initial priorities in the University’s Campus Masterplan continues. The Finance Committee and University Council have given a clear direction to focus on the Gateway building (on Colombo Plan Court) as an initial priority. Infrastructure is in the midst of developing a business case that will be ready for Council consideration early in the new year.