News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

#631 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:13 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:56 am
It's a shame. I liked RCC at Adelaide Uni, particularly since it gave them a lot of venue space to focus a lot more on programming. I wonder what happened.
The Adelaide Uni location had venue space on its side, but it did nothing to expand and improve on the entertainment on offer, in fact I would go so far as to say that the quality of shows and installations dropped in favour of more popular main stage artists on the main lawn. Hopefully the return to Vic Square will see it rehash the events tents. Further to that, there's nothing to stop it expanding outside of the square and activate nearby locations like the old Adelaide bus terminal or even the Adelaide GPO whilst they wait for development to progress on that site. I think there is a huge opportunity with this move and especially considering they need to get creative with the whole COVID thing and keeping spaces big and open. Adelaide need to consider what makes Edinburgh Fringe so successful and mammoth, activating the smallest of spaces which will in turn drive the number of events and hopefully help drop the overheads for artists and organisers.

Nathan

#632 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:34 pm

I didn't mind that it was a bit harder to "pop in for drinks", since that wasn't the focus (unlike the previous VicSq version). I think the programming was excellent, but perhaps that's because I'm on a similar wavelength to the kind of shows David Sefton likes to curate. I only went to one show on the main lawn during the first year, but went to many of the smaller shows that were held in the old Uni Bar and the halls fronting North Tce. I can't see how that can transpose to Victoria Square with a single venue.

The Garden and Gluttony already cover off the massive outdoor bar ground, and I genuinely enjoyed that RCC was pivoting to be a kind of middle ground between Fringe and Adelaide Festival, with a small touch of FOMA/Dark MOFO thrown in, instead.

The Scooter Guy

#633 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:23 pm

Adelaide Aquatic Centre to remain open.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 9YKK4hTkII

Fact: The Leisure Pools originally opened in March 1990 and underwent a mass remodeling in 2014.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

ChillyPhilly

#634 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:42 am

RCC was most popular at Victoria Square.

However, I've seen that its closing time will be 10pm, which is a bit ridiculous.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#635 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:29 am

What an incredibly short sighted move on Council's part. Closing time should be 12 midnight at minimum.

Otherwise let the state government step in and override council if they can't come to their senses.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#636 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:26 pm

Some updates on the South parklands Creek realignment project.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#637 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:44 pm

since the opening a couple of months ago, regularly walk through the new Victoria Park wetlands. Its brilliant however over the last week they have let so much of the water flow out that its exposing the mud and not looking very good. After the recent rains filled it to overflowing capacity, it looks like its only about 25% full compared to when it opened back in May

Anyone know why the are letting all the water out?

SBD

#638 Post by SBD » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:25 pm

jk1237 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:44 pm
since the opening a couple of months ago, regularly walk through the new Victoria Park wetlands. Its brilliant however over the last week they have let so much of the water flow out that its exposing the mud and not looking very good. After the recent rains filled it to overflowing capacity, it looks like its only about 25% full compared to when it opened back in May

Anyone know why the are letting all the water out?
Perhaps between rain events it needs to be lowered so that it retains more water in the next rain and releases it slowly so as not to flood Greenhill Road. The wetland is still new, so might not have reached full naturalisation yet.

When I was at Adelaide Uni some decades ago, the Torrens Lake was drained at one stage for maintenance. It exposed a muddy bottom, but attracted much more interesting bird life to watch in my lunch break.

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#639 Post by ralmin » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:34 pm

That sounds like a valid concern given the flooding we saw on Greenhill Rd during the last heavy rain event on June 5 last week.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=386639863521947

Algernon

#640 Post by Algernon » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:43 am

Are the parkland wetlands an aesthetic thing or are they providing some sort of function like storage/irrigation and/or flood mitigation?

[Shuz]

#641 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:33 am

Pretty sure all wetlands are for an ecological purpose. On this case I think Fourth(?) Creek runs through the southern parklands and its a flood mitigation measure. Aesthetics is just a bonus.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#642 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:10 pm

Algernon wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:43 am
Are the parkland wetlands an aesthetic thing or are they providing some sort of function like storage/irrigation and/or flood mitigation?
It's a flood detention basin for the Brown Hill/Keswick Creek catchment. There's also another (much smaller) overflow area being constructed in Park 20 (near TreeClimb).

https://bhkcstormwater.com.au/
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#643 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:08 pm

ACC has a survey on the future of the parklands, part of the current review of the Adelaide Park Lands Management Strategy, closing Sep 2.
Worth filling out, because you can sure the Parklands Preservation Association NIMBYs will be bombing it.

https://yoursay.cityofadelaide.com.au/a ... eview-2022

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#644 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:21 am

State gov today announced the Aquatic Centre will be rebuilt closer to Jeffcott & Barton corner.
Fb2RZBeVUAEMxR_.jpeg
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#645 Post by Nathan » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:59 am

Eh? The south east corner of Barton Tce / Prospect Rd made much more sense, especially if the tram line ever happens. But even if it doesn't, it would have put the centre in much closer proximity to the shops and businesses along O'Connell St.