News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Rymill Park Lake

#46 Post by Wayno » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:50 pm

i wonder if they intend to glue the sheets together, or whether the weight of the sand will stop most leaking between sheets?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by Ho Really » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks for the pics jk1237. I was hoping for something a bit closer showing the plastic material and maybe the seems.
Wayno wrote:i wonder if they intend to glue the sheets together, or whether the weight of the sand will stop most leaking between sheets?
They showed how they do it on Jane Reilly's weather segment on Ten News. I think it involves some heat process.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

SE Corner of Parklands

#48 Post by Wayno » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi guys, anyone know what's happening in the SE corner of the parlands?

A section of the horse racetrack had its railing removed many weeks ago, it's now securely surrounded in mesh fencing, and there's been Tractors and Graders pushing the soil around, and as of today there is a mound of soil about 20m long x 1m high. wierd stuff.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: SE Corner of Parklands

#49 Post by UrbanSG » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:49 pm

I would say it has something to do with the removal of the horse racing facilities now that SAJC has left, after the Victoria Park monumental stuff up by all parties concerned.

All equipment, structures etc are meant to be removed over time as a result and I would guess they will be doing a fair bit of earthworks too.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Wayno » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:41 pm

i thought this might be part of the SAJC Vic Park cleanup too, but i don't get that feeling. If anyone happens to be passing with a spare 5mins perhaps they could get a close look.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#51 Post by crawf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:51 am

This shouldn't be happening in the first place

:wank:

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#52 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:45 pm

Ho Really wrote:Thanks for the pics jk1237. I was hoping for something a bit closer showing the plastic material and maybe the seems.
I took some yesterday that might show the detail you wanted. The sides & surrounds need finishing off, but the bottom looks finished.

http://xaragmata.mooo.com/album/adelaid ... ill01.html
Last edited by Xaragmata on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#53 Post by Jim » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:48 pm

Now Victoria Park is no more I would like to put some roads through it, (tree lined avenues to be precise)
I would link
South Tce to Dulwich Ave
Gilles St to Swaine Ave
Halifax St to Grant Ave

Even if some of these roads were bus only it would spread the load and make Adelaide a better place.
That would stick it to the PPS

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Community Gardens in the CBD

#54 Post by Wayno » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:30 pm

This is probably the lowest-rise development in the CBD ever!

http://city-messenger.whereilive.com.au ... s-for-cbd/
ONE of the downsides of living in the city for many, not having a garden to potter about in - could soon be a thing of the past.

Several "community gardens’’ are set to be rolled out across the CBD in a bid to encourage city dwellers to get back to nature.

Adelaide City Council has backed the idea, with the first garden likely to be established at the West Terrace Cemetery within months, subject to a land use agreement.

Adelaide resident Mij Tanith has been pushing for community gardens for the past four years: ``It’s about letting city people put their fingers in the dirt basically.

"We’ve got a council intent on doubling the city population and most of that resident population will be housed in high-rise apartments,’’ she said.

Ms Tanith said the community garden concept was based on a successful program running at Fullarton.

"Community gardens build communities, they allow people to get out of their high-rise apartments or tiny little row cottages and actually connect with other people around an activity that is really relaxing, like gardening.’’

Ms Tanith expected 50-100 people to show interest in the first garden.

"Some of the plots will be set aside for community groups and schools.’’

Ms Tanith said she would meet with the West Terrace Cemetery Board today (August 21) to finalise an agreement.

The board has shown interest in the idea, with a plot near the cemetery caretaker’s house the likely location.

Ms Tanner said community gardens also had practical implications.

"With climate change and peak oil we are going to find it harder and harder to buy food that’s trucked in from interstate or overseas.

"If you teach people to grow fruit and vegetables, you make that area much more resilient and much more independent in terms of food production.’’

She said the aim was to expand the program across the CBD.

"What a lot of people want to see is a number of community gardens, ideally one in each quadrant of the city.’’

Other sites under consideration include the Princess Elizabeth Playground in the city’s south-west, Gilles St in the south-east and Whitmore Square.

If you are interested joining the community garden, call Mij on 0405 086 533 or email [email protected]

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Community Gardens in the CBD

#55 Post by omada » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:58 pm

Better watch where they're digging :) Might turn up some archeology.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#56 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Such as the APPA? :P

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by AtD » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:32 pm

This is the type of thing the parklands should be used for, rather than horse paddocks and car parks.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#58 Post by Shuz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Adelaide must be in the Stone Age.
Going from horse paddocks to vegetable gardens? How slow will progress take before have parklands like Central Park?
I can see this failing anyway. Consider it a feeding ground for the homeless...

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by Düsseldorfer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:56 pm

these sort of community gardens are very common in most parts of the high-density areas of the Rhein-Ruhr in Germany( it's the population of Australia in an area that is half the size of Tasmania), people living in big apartment buildings have a small piece of land for themselves where they can have a garden or some kind of open space, but in that part of Germany those kind of gardens aren't in the city centers, they are usually located next to freeways or railway lines

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#60 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:06 am

Um, why in a cemetery?
Keep Adelaide Weird