[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Bob
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:16 pm

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by Bob »

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:46 pm
Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:51 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:06 pm


I'm not really a fan of Minister Knoll but if it's the last part of the quote you're talking about then that's completely subjective and I think there are many people (including countless sporting commentators and journalists) who would class the Oval among the best sporting grounds in the country/world. But let's not get into this argument again...
Can't have a State Minister making a statement that says 'the best' - see the word 'the' - he didn't make a subjective statement - he made an actual statement, one that is incorrect. He needed to stick to the positives of having a unique situation with a hotel attached to a major sporting stadium which is a differentiator to other stadiums that should attract international attention - and leave the statement at that.
I think most people would be absolutely fine with an official representative of a state or country making the occasional statement referring to it or one of its major assets as 'the best' and wouldn't be offended or embarrassed by it.

I personally think that the best Shiraz in the world comes out of the Barrossa. Again it's subjective so others would disagree but it's definitely a contender. However, I can't see anyone having a problem with the Minister for Tourism spruking it as 'the best' during a press conference about our wine regions - some might argue that it's his job to do just that. Why would it be different for the Oval?
We are not talking about a couple of blokes shooting the breeze about their opinion regarding the Oval down the pub, we are talking about a government minister making an incorrect statement going out to the world. Stupid, wrong & embarrassing to the wider world.
JAKJ
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: KTA/ADL ex PER/CNS/LA/SH

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by JAKJ »

Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:11 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:46 pm
Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:51 pm

Can't have a State Minister making a statement that says 'the best' - see the word 'the' - he didn't make a subjective statement - he made an actual statement, one that is incorrect. He needed to stick to the positives of having a unique situation with a hotel attached to a major sporting stadium which is a differentiator to other stadiums that should attract international attention - and leave the statement at that.
I think most people would be absolutely fine with an official representative of a state or country making the occasional statement referring to it or one of its major assets as 'the best' and wouldn't be offended or embarrassed by it.

I personally think that the best Shiraz in the world comes out of the Barrossa. Again it's subjective so others would disagree but it's definitely a contender. However, I can't see anyone having a problem with the Minister for Tourism spruking it as 'the best' during a press conference about our wine regions - some might argue that it's his job to do just that. Why would it be different for the Oval?
We are not talking about a couple of blokes shooting the breeze about their opinion regarding the Oval down the pub, we are talking about a government minister making an incorrect statement going out to the world. Stupid, wrong & embarrassing to the wider world.
It's not stupid, wrong or embarrassing.

1) No one 'world-wide' is going to care what a minister for an Australia State, let alone South Australia says in terms of their judgement of our states main sporting grounds
2) As far as I have seen, and have seen quite a lot as I do like sport and love to travel AO is very much one of the best grounds in the world so have no issues with the minister making that statement. A lot of English and Indian cricket fans who visit would be happy to acknowledge it as being one of the best as well so really don't see the problem here.

Not sure why there is so much hate/ angst for AO on this forum by certain members, truly bizarre. AO is actually world class (without the cringe), embrace and celebrate it.
A-Town
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:14 am

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by A-Town »

Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:11 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:46 pm
Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:51 pm

Can't have a State Minister making a statement that says 'the best' - see the word 'the' - he didn't make a subjective statement - he made an actual statement, one that is incorrect. He needed to stick to the positives of having a unique situation with a hotel attached to a major sporting stadium which is a differentiator to other stadiums that should attract international attention - and leave the statement at that.
I think most people would be absolutely fine with an official representative of a state or country making the occasional statement referring to it or one of its major assets as 'the best' and wouldn't be offended or embarrassed by it.

I personally think that the best Shiraz in the world comes out of the Barrossa. Again it's subjective so others would disagree but it's definitely a contender. However, I can't see anyone having a problem with the Minister for Tourism spruking it as 'the best' during a press conference about our wine regions - some might argue that it's his job to do just that. Why would it be different for the Oval?
We are not talking about a couple of blokes shooting the breeze about their opinion regarding the Oval down the pub, we are talking about a government minister making an incorrect statement going out to the world. Stupid, wrong & embarrassing to the wider world.
Yawn. Get over it, there's bigger things to be concerned about with this project than a throwaway sentence made by the Minister.
Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by Spotto »

Can the AO lovers and haters PLEASE stop bickering with each other. It got boring ages ago. This thread is meant to be about the hotel not whether we like the design of the oval canopy or if we should build another grandstand over the hill. Can we please stick to discussing the hotel?
citywatcher
Legendary Member!
Posts: 699
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:51 pm

[COM] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by citywatcher »

Spotto wrote:Can the AO lovers and haters PLEASE stop bickering with each other. It got boring ages ago. This thread is meant to be about the hotel not whether we like the design of the oval canopy or if we should build another grandstand over the hill. Can we please stick to discussing the hotel?
Aren't we doing that more or less
You can't have a discussion if some facets of that discussion are ruled outside the terms of reference
You then have the issue of transparency
You can choose to comment or not

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:23 pm

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by I Follow PAFC »

Adelaide Oval Hotel :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/
JAKJ
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: KTA/ADL ex PER/CNS/LA/SH

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by JAKJ »

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:33 am
Adelaide Oval Hotel :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
Yep. I really hope it isn't going to turn into as much of a disaster as the renders predict, this is a slipshod, half-arsed development which looks like ruining the Eastern aspect of the oval.

The dogged persistence of showing non-opaque glass through all the renders releaed is alarming. Really looking forward to driving/walking down King William St and looking into 100+ hotel rooms and seeing people's messes and half drawn curtains. On match day it will be the biggest peep show in Australia with 50k+ people getting a view of whatever the hotel residents are doing that day or an array of drawn/ undrawn/ half drawn curtains which will not doubt look fantastic.

Can't wait for the first YouTube of "couple having sex at AO hotel" to hit, at least we should get solid bookings from the exhibitionists.
HiTouch
Legendary Member!
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:40 pm

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by HiTouch »

Well this is shit. :wallbash:
User avatar
AndyWelsh
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 pm

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by AndyWelsh »

From today:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hybrid
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 8:14 am

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by Hybrid »

Should be awesome when finished
User avatar
AndyWelsh
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 pm

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by AndyWelsh »

Image

Image

More new renders are coming next month apparently.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
citywatcher
Legendary Member!
Posts: 699
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:51 pm

[COM] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by citywatcher »

Hybrid wrote:Should be awesome when finished
Check the renders

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by Patrick_27 »

AndyWelsh wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:48 pm
Image

Image

More new renders are coming next month apparently.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are these the renders that will show just how much this project actually intrudes on the plaza/parklands? Wouldn't surprise me, after all, you have to deceive the general public these days to get some things across the line. :wink:
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1853
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Contact:

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by ChillyPhilly »

From 15/11.

Image
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.
User avatar
d3v310per
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 am

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

Post by d3v310per »

Looking north-east
Image

Bases for further concrete columns (same as the above pic)
Image

Another angle looking south-west
Image
Post Reply