[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
floplo
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

#1 Post by floplo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:07 pm

128-room boutique hotel proposed for Adelaide Oval’s eastern grandstand
Paul Starick, Chief Reporter, The Advertiser

A 128-ROOM boutique hotel is set to wrap around Adelaide Oval’s eastern grandstand, facing the parklands, financed by a State Government loan of up to $42 million.

Plans for the Australian-first stadium hotel, obtained exclusively by the Sunday Mail, show a five-level building extending from the eastern stand’s northeastern and southeastern exterior sides, linked by a second-level walkway.

It is understood the hotel will be integrated into the eastern facade of the existing grandstand structure and contained within the Oval precinct, without affecting the Parklands or current plaza.

But the plans, developed by the architects behind the award-winning $535 million Oval redevelopment opened in 2014, will ignite debate about development in Adelaide’s Parklands.

Hotel rooms will face the Parklands, not the Oval, although it is likely there will be a special entrance. Guests will need tickets for events.

It is understood plans will be unveiled today by Premier Steven Marshall and the Oval’s Stadium Management Authority, which will build and manage the hotel.

Construction is expected to start in mid-2019 ahead of an opening in August 2020, in time for the International Cricket Council Men’s World T20, for which Adelaide Oval will host a semi-final that November.

The project’s total value is not known, though it is likely to about the same as the loan capped at $42 million, provided at standard 30-year commercial rates by the SA Government Financing Authority.

It is understood the SMA, along with joint venture partners the SANFL and South Australian Cricket Association, has been considering a hotel and preparing the business case for some time.

The key aims are to ensure the Oval remains at the forefront of innovation and to offset running costs with a regular income stream that is not dependent on events.

More than 100 full-time jobs are expected to be created when the hotel is complete. The hotel effectively will be built snug against the eastern stand, on the existing Oval footprint.

Oval seats will not be affected by construction and it is understood none of the existing patron access points, including the plaza and atrium entry, will be affected by the development.

The SMA has started plans to minimise the effect on game-day patrons for football and cricket seasons. The design, by COX Architecture, has been reviewed by the Office for Design and Architecture South Australia, a Government body, to ensure it is in keeping with the existing structures and plans soon will be put before the State Commission Assessment Panel, which assesses major developments.

Since the acclaimed Oval redevelopment opened in 2014, a $9 million lighting and sound upgrade was unveiled last year and grandstand RoofClimb tours launched as a commercial venture in 2016.

The Advertiser in September revealed an ambitious arena that could host concerts, events, soccer, tennis and basketball was being considered for the Riverbank precinct.

At the time, state Liberal Party president and Adelaide Oval SMA deputy chairman John Olsen urged serious consideration of the “emerging opportunity” for a multipurpose arena near the Oval. A business case has been commissioned by the Adelaide Venue Management Corporation, which operates the Entertainment Centre, Convention Centre and Hindmarsh Stadium.

Smithy85
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#2 Post by Smithy85 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:08 pm

Awesome!

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Nathan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:48 pm

I think I could hear the screams from the APPA.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by phenom » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:40 pm

Not overly impressed by the initial render but will wait to see more. The concept itself is excellent though.

I'm also awaiting those who bemoaned the $5m low interest loan to Sofitel on Currie as symptomatic of 'bad Labor government' commenting on a $42m low-interest loan to another private hotel development by the 'pro private market' Liberal Government... :lol:

The real world is shockingly pragmatic I find.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5 Post by rev » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:44 pm

Within the ovals footprint but it won’t affect the plaza or parklands. So it will impact facilities within the eastern stand, but there won’t be a reduction in seating.

The article makes it sound as if they’re going to magically fit a hotel in there.

Will it be across the full eastern stand or only on the north eastern side as shown in the render?

Judging by that render at least two stairwells will be affected.
There’s also a lift on that side used for the restaurant.

If it’s to fit in on the side of the stand it’s going to be rather narrow, and I can see the walkway being taken up partially by this.

I wonder also how it will affect the underground car park.

PeFe

#6 Post by PeFe » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Can someone please post the render.....

SBD

#7 Post by SBD » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:55 pm

Does it work to just post a link to the image on The Advertiser article?

SBD

#8 Post by SBD » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:56 pm

The picture looks to me like the five-level hotel does not include ground level, which might explain how they can claim it doesn't impinge on anything else.

PeFe

#9 Post by PeFe » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:57 pm

Thanks SBD..

My verdict...3.5 out of 5......not great but not ugly either.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:26 am

I think this will ruin the eastern stand

Is this really needed?. There is already a huge number of accommodation projects in the pipeline for the city.
Last edited by crawf on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Waewick

[COM] Re: [PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#11 Post by Waewick » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:27 am

phenom wrote:Not overly impressed by the initial render but will wait to see more. The concept itself is excellent though.

I'm also awaiting those who bemoaned the $5m low interest loan to Sofitel on Currie as symptomatic of 'bad Labor government' commenting on a $42m low-interest loan to another private hotel development by the 'pro private market' Liberal Government... Image

The real world is shockingly pragmatic I find.
I think it is questionable.

Why are we further subsidising the SMA ? What benefit is the tax payer getting here?

Will this development stop the gouging going on at the stadium via food and drinks?

Even worse, are we going to impact private enterprise due to a subsidised government project?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by SRW » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:59 am

I'm not opposed but can't say I'm enthusaistic. Mainly I question:
1) why?
2) if for profit, will they now make stadium food and drink affordable?
3) geez, these will wanna be heavily sound-proofed
4) is this a security risk? I'm not aware of any major stadiums that have done this, and maybe there's a reason.
Keep Adelaide Weird

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by HiTouch » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:49 am

I believe the APPA will go skitz about it and shut it down. Their birdcage has been rattled way too much lately and the angry cocky is about to set free.

I agree with them though as the Parklands do need to be preserved and this section is beautiful.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by Norman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:53 am

Won't this need Adelaide City Council approval because it's on parkland?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by citywatcher » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:20 am

Confusing
When in opposition they criticised spending on most projects as a waste of money when in govt they slash and burn but find $42m for a footy hotel .....

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk