[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#661 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:04 am

So I guess you'll be listening to me whinge then.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#662 Post by Spotto » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:37 am

I remember hearing one time on the radio a discussion over having a rotating venue for the Grand Final. The winning team of the current year would be the host city of the following year (i.e. Eagles won in 2012, meaning Perth would host in 2013), the logic being a full year would give the host city plenty of time to prepare. Breaks up the monopoly Melbourne has on the GF and shares around a bit of the prestige and tourist money on the occasion that a non-Melbourne team wins. Also gives interstate fans a break since they won't always have to travel to Melbourne.

ChillyPhilly

#663 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:41 am

The highest-ranked GF team should be the host. No ifs or buts.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#664 Post by rev » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:56 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:41 am
The highest-ranked GF team should be the host. No ifs or buts.
This makes more sense out of all ideas to move the GF around the country. Out of the two teams who make the GF, whoever finished higher during the regular season should host it. There's not much to prepare that can't be prepared with a week off before the grand final, or that can't be flown in.
The MCG has a deal for decades to come to host the grand final, and unfortunately for these ideas of moving the GF the AFL is a business, and as a business rightfully should they want the maximum return possible, and that maximum return is always going to be at the largest venue possible and that is the MCG.

What most people also don't realize is that the AFL is by nature Victoria-centric. The AFL medias home in general is Melbourne. The industry it self is centred in Melbourne.
100,000+ at the MCG, many of which are corporate types and other high flyers. You're not going to get that in Adelaide. The AFL will not be able to sell such tickets to such people to come to Adelaide, Perth or even Brisbane. Sydney might be in with a shot. But how long will the novelty last in rugby league territory?
The AFL and the Victorian government are in cahoots as well.

They've moved it to Brisbane this year because of the pandemic. Queensland opened up for the AFL, the SA state gov. said no to the AFL over their proposals for the season during this pandemic.
There's more kids playing AFL Aus Kick in Queensland then there is in SA, WA and either Vic or NSW combined. Queensland is NRL territory like NSW. However with such a high uptake and interest from kids in AFL through their Aus Kick program, they'd have to have rocks in their head to pick Adelaide over Brisbane. They are a business, and they need to capitalize on the opportunity.
Adelaide/SA is Aussie Rules territory, nothing will change that.
If they can use this to push deeper in Queensland and bring more kids over to the code instead of rugby league, it's a win for the AFL.
Of course wouldn't be happening if there wasn't a pandemic forcing them to do it.

But Adelaide Oval remains the back up if things get out of control in Queensland and they can't hold the grand final there so you never know it could be held here.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#665 Post by how good is he » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:31 pm

I think what needs to be highlighted is the Victorian Govt made the GF at the MCG for the next 40 years in 2018 as a condition of a $500m mega-deal for the AFL.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/137699/gf-a ... m-megadeal

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#666 Post by zippySA » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:31 pm

I don't see the issue - it is bloody hard to argue with 100k+ at MCG for the marquee game. What never gets mentioned in this (endless) debate is the real economic activity the AFL has generated. Ignoring 2020, we have ended up with a $500M stadium, and a weekly game with 40k+ people in the city. Same has happened in Perth and Sydney and Brisvegas may be on cusp of emerging as genuine AFL states with strong supporter bases.

Let the GF stay forever at the MCG - and let's be positive about the benefits we get from a healthy game. One weekend of max capacity (50k?) isn't the end game for us - it is leveraging the weekly activity of 40k+ in the city and how good that is for Adelaide.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#667 Post by Jaymz » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:14 pm

zippySA wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:31 pm
I don't see the issue - it is bloody hard to argue with 100k+ at MCG for the marquee game. What never gets mentioned in this (endless) debate is the real economic activity the AFL has generated. Ignoring 2020, we have ended up with a $500M stadium, and a weekly game with 40k+ people in the city. Same has happened in Perth and Sydney and Brisvegas may be on cusp of emerging as genuine AFL states with strong supporter bases.

Let the GF stay forever at the MCG - and let's be positive about the benefits we get from a healthy game. One weekend of max capacity (50k?) isn't the end game for us - it is leveraging the weekly activity of 40k+ in the city and how good that is for Adelaide.
As a dedicated footy fan, I really couldn't care less about the economic spin offs or the money from hosting a GF. It's not about that for me.

All I ask is a fair playing field for all teams, in that the highest ranking team gets the right to play it at their home ground (or home city, at least). Next best is to play it at a neutral ground and remove all home ground advantage like many other professional sports around the world.

I'd imagine most footy fans would want the same, seeing as it is now a so-called "national" competition. But only when it suits it seems.

flat04
Gold-Member ;)

#668 Post by flat04 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:00 pm

One thing I can't un-see with the new Hotel is the air conditioners on the top of the new building. They have placed a screen at the front of them but from the other side of King William Rd you see the top half of the AC units and it looks very unfinished. The rest of the Hotel has come up really nicely.

Any chance the AC units will be screened off properly?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#669 Post by citywatcher » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:04 pm

Jaymz wrote:
zippySA wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:31 pm

As a dedicated footy fan, I really couldn't care less about the economic spin offs or the money from hosting a GF. It's not about that for me.

All I ask is a fair playing field for all teams, in that the highest ranking team gets the right to play it at their home ground (or home city, at least). Next best is to play it at a neutral ground and remove all home ground advantage like many other professional sports around the world.

I'd imagine most footy fans would want the same, seeing as it is now a so-called "national" competition. But only when it suits it seems.
Correct
You can't ignore the grass roots tradition that is the game .
If you do , the well eventually runs dry.
And why is it that the rest of the world can manage neutral ground and sharing it around ?
Because at the moment it's just about making money for Victoria and Foxtel.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

ghs

#670 Post by ghs » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:33 pm

My mail is that there's a good chance that adelaide will get the boxing day test, as its unlikely that melbourne will be able to host it.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#671 Post by Jaymz » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:46 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:33 pm
My mail is that there's a good chance that adelaide will get the boxing day test, as its unlikely that melbourne will be able to host it.

Unlike the Grand Prix, I think it's very likely this will happen.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#672 Post by rev » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:17 pm

Pretty obvious, you don't need mail to figure that out.
Not when Adelaide is the return entry point for our cricketers, not when it's said to be a hub for the summer cricket season.
Not when dictator Dan keeps Melbourne in lockdown and under curfew.
Everything is pointing to Adelaide Boxing Day.

ghs

#673 Post by ghs » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:15 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:46 pm
ghs wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:33 pm

Unlike the Grand Prix, I think it's very likely this will happen.
If there is to be a GP next year in Australia it would be in Melbourne in October or November. It wouldnt be worth holding it in Tailem bend when they could only have a crowd of about 20,000 there. There's probably a fairly good chance that F1 wont come to Australia next year.

Going way off topic here but the cost of setting up the infrastructure for the GP in Melbourne this year would have been huge. It must have been a big expense for the Vic government.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#674 Post by Spotto » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:55 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:17 pm
Damned if he does because "he's a dictator we don't need these lockdowns", damned if he doesn't because "these cases are off the charts and he's doing nothing about it". The Murdoch press has absolutely trashed him for trying to get COVID under control.

claybro

#675 Post by claybro » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:50 pm

Spotto wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:55 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:17 pm
Damned if he does because "he's a dictator we don't need these lockdowns", damned if he doesn't because "these cases are off the charts and he's doing nothing about it". The Murdoch press has absolutely trashed him for trying to get COVID under control.
Not just the Murdoch press. Virtually every industry group, and even some in the medical profession are absolutely dismayed by complete incompetence of the Victorian government, first of all in letting the virus get such a foot hold, then the arrogant dismissive way it has handled the lock down and pathway out. it is seriously effecting the whole country, and could bring down the whole house of cards, in a state who's main source of income has been rampant unsustainable immigration and a giant housing bubble. To loose the Boxing Day test to Adelaide would be some small compensation for years of arrogantly looking down their nose at the other states.