[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#346 Post by rev » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:45 am

Nort wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:30 am
The hill at Adelaide Oval is also important because it ties Adelaide Oval into feeling as though it is part of the parklands, rather than just plonked on top of them. It's very common to see overseas tourists at Lights Lookout getting photos with that view into the oval behind them.

I have no doubt that one day a stand will be built there, and once it is it's never going away, but until that (hopefully distant) day we should enjoy having something unique that gives a great experience.
Oh yeh, the tourists are flocking there. There's daily traffic jams from all the bus loads of tourists scrambling to take a photo before the view is blocked by a northern stand :hilarious:
Bigger draw card then the Bellagio fountains

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#347 Post by Bob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:52 am

As per my original comment I like Adelaide Oval, let me expand - I like the look of it, where it is, the surroundings, the atmosphere and most of what goes with it. However, the stadium in my opinion looks unfinished without a northern stand. I made a suggestion on how that could be rectified, I also stated at the end some people like the way it is, and some don’t. Judging by some people’s responses on here suggests they think there is a consensus that Adelaide Oval is brilliant as is and no further improvements are required nor considered, that is not entirely correct.

I will give you just four examples of different people who have stayed with us in recent years and I have gone with them to AO for events – (1) From Sydney to watch ODI Cricket (2) From Melbourne to watch AFL (although he was a biased life long Collingwood supporter and avid that the MCG is the best sports stadium in the world blinkered view) (3) From UK to watch Liverpool play AU (4) Different UK people to watch the Ashes Test match. All of them thought AO was great, except everyone of them asked one of two questions at some point – they were either (a) when is it going to finished? or (b) why didn’t they finish it? At which point I have to explain the politically history why it is what it is.

And some journalists have raised the same question about a potential northern stand to finish off AO, But no negative press against AO in local papers allowed, which is a pity because it stifles healthy debate on the topic.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#348 Post by Nort » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:29 am

rev wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:45 am
Nort wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:30 am
The hill at Adelaide Oval is also important because it ties Adelaide Oval into feeling as though it is part of the parklands, rather than just plonked on top of them. It's very common to see overseas tourists at Lights Lookout getting photos with that view into the oval behind them.

I have no doubt that one day a stand will be built there, and once it is it's never going away, but until that (hopefully distant) day we should enjoy having something unique that gives a great experience.
Oh yeh, the tourists are flocking there. There's daily traffic jams from all the bus loads of tourists scrambling to take a photo before the view is blocked by a northern stand :hilarious:
Bigger draw card then the Bellagio fountains
It's all or nothing with you isn't it.

Nort

#349 Post by Nort » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:31 am

Bob wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:52 am
I will give you just four examples of different people who have stayed with us in recent years and I have gone with them to AO for events – (1) From Sydney to watch ODI Cricket (2) From Melbourne to watch AFL (although he was a biased life long Collingwood supporter and avid that the MCG is the best sports stadium in the world blinkered view) (3) From UK to watch Liverpool play AU (4) Different UK people to watch the Ashes Test match. All of them thought AO was great, except everyone of them asked one of two questions at some point – they were either (a) when is it going to finished? or (b) why didn’t they finish it? At which point I have to explain the politically history why it is what it is.
So they came for events and then found out about why it's unique.

Let's look at this another way, what events currently aren't happening at Adelaide Oval due to the hill?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#350 Post by citywatcher » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:21 pm

claybro wrote:
SRW wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 am
Yep, the design of the Adelaide Oval redevelopment is, to me, functional at best. It's lifted up by the quality of materials, but I remember feeling what a missed opportunity it was that more of the oval's heritage wasn't brought into the future (the vines and bricks). The hill, however, is a strength not a weakness and anyone who can't see that is blinded by conformity. I suspect it will one day be built upon, but it should be celebrated for as long as possible.
By the look of those wet bedraggled spectators on the Northern mound on the weekend, I would say they would definitely see the hill as a weakness not a strength.
What's the matter?
Hardy dedicated supporters a thing of the past ?

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#351 Post by Bob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:56 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:31 am
Bob wrote:

Let's look at this another way, what events currently aren't happening at Adelaide Oval due to the hill?
Yes unique – bit like

The one way expressway once had

Part electric train set and part not

Being dumped in the scrub at Kewsick terminal after arriving by interstate train

Tourists having to share the free connector bus with putrid, practically fly blown locals wanting a dust up

Catching a decrepit mini bus to tour Australia’s premier wine region because there is no train and local shuttle service on arrival

One newspaper with biased views, and you cant even use it afterwards for toilet paper because it comes pre loaded with shit

Yes I am sure people go away saying – well at least its unique, too bad about international imagine, as long as the locals like it, who cares…

After all SA needs all the economic helping hand it can muster, not deliberately shoot itself in the foot. Need to look forward more instead of backwards.

Nort

#352 Post by Nort » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Bob wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:56 pm
Nort wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:31 am
Bob wrote:

Yes unique – bit like

The one way expressway once had

Part electric train set and part not

Being dumped in the scrub at Kewsick terminal after arriving by interstate train

Tourists having to share the free connector bus with putrid, practically fly blown locals wanting a dust up

Catching a decrepit mini bus to tour Australia’s premier wine region because there is no train and local shuttle service on arrival

One newspaper with biased views, and you cant even use it afterwards for toilet paper because it comes pre loaded with shit

Yes I am sure people go away saying – well at least its unique, too bad about international imagine, as long as the locals like it, who cares…

After all SA needs all the economic helping hand it can muster, not deliberately shoot itself in the foot. Need to look forward more instead of backwards.
As I said: Let's look at this another way, what events currently aren't happening at Adelaide Oval due to the hill?

You're proposing a solution, would be good to hear what the problem is it's going to solve.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#353 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:12 pm

SRW wrote:The hill, however, is a strength not a weakness and anyone who can't see that is blinded by conformity. I suspect it will one day be built upon, but it should be celebrated for as long as possible.
This sums things up for me beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan

#354 Post by Nathan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:29 pm

As neutral who has little interest in grass oval sports, I recognise the hill and scoreboard as intrinsic parts of Adelaide Oval's identity. Capacity is not a concern, so what would the point of removing the things that make it unique and identifiable other than satiating some warped inferiority complex?

Let's stop the dick measuring of which state has *the best* stadium, and celebrate that multiple cities can have excellent stadiums that offer their own character and experience.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#355 Post by rev » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:29 pm
As neutral who has little interest in grass oval sports, I recognise the hill and scoreboard as intrinsic parts of Adelaide Oval's identity. Capacity is not a concern, so what would the point of removing the things that make it unique and identifiable other than satiating some warped inferiority complex?

Let's stop the dick measuring of which state has *the best* stadium, and celebrate that multiple cities can have excellent stadiums that offer their own character and experience.
That's the sort of attitude you should have when your kid is playing in an under 5's competition, and it's about participation and the kids having fun.

I think most of you are content with Adelaide remaining a big country town.

Nort

#356 Post by Nort » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:11 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:56 pm
Nathan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:29 pm

That's the sort of attitude you should have when your kid is playing in an under 5's competition, and it's about participation and the kids having fun.

What events currently aren't happening at Adelaide Oval due to the hill?

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#357 Post by Jaymz » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:25 pm

I'm pretty sure we're getting an NRL state of origin game next year, and a Bledisloe game in next couple years. It doesn't get any bigger than that.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#358 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:06 pm

Yes we are getting the Bledisloe cup game in 2021 and the Rugby League State Of Origin in 2020.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

#359 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:42 pm

rev wrote:
Adelaide is not a big country town.

All of the other amazing cities around the world with a similar population, building size, infrastructure etc are also not big country towns.

Why do people disparage Adelaide with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#360 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:31 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:47 am
Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:20 am
claybro wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 pm

I base it on Eastern States commentators consistently calling Perth Stadium the best venue in Australia. I base it on locals here asking me why they haven't finished AO yet when we watch games on TV. All of this is really frustrating to me, because AO is the best located Stadium in Australia if not the world. As a stadium though, it is not the best place to experience sport or catering in the outer, and that surely is its primary function.
Newest stadium in the country = should be the best =/= Adelaide Oval is behind and in need of an upgrade.
With that logic, we would be undergoing major upgrades of AO every five years... Adelaide based on its population and what sporting events we host, does not require itself to be the most state of the art facility in Australia, not to say we should let the ball drop as far as we have with Memorial Drive but when you consider the state of our rectangular stadium and the fact that basketball, netball and tennis all operate out of separate facilities meanwhile elsewhere in Australia they're consolidated into one, those two points should more be our focus. And with regards to the stadium not looking finished, who cares? The stadium has a far better atmosphere than that of its interstate counterparts, and anyone who begs to differ; go watch football or cricket at the GABA, MCG or SCG and you'll realise just how good we have it.
You know, I agree with you when it comes to AO being fine the way it is. Your reply sounds like an argument.
Last edited by Ser Noit of Loit on Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.