[COM] 2 King William Street | Refurb and rooftop bar

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: 2 King William Street | Refurb and rooftop bar

#106 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Waewick wrote:There isn't enough "premium" places in Adelaide so that is great news
At least, not ones that we've told you about. ;)

I've spoken to some people I know in the industry and I now understand what the minimum spend areas are about. It's not "LA" style VIP booths. It's about drinkers who appreciate top shelf items, skilled staff and who can consume a few "nice things" in one sitting - think top shelf classic cocktails, or high value nips and drams. Nice work if you can get it. :cheers:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#107 Post by Waewick » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:25 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Waewick wrote:There isn't enough "premium" places in Adelaide so that is great news
At least, not ones that we've told you about. ;)

I've spoken to some people I know in the industry and I now understand what the minimum spend areas are about. It's not "LA" style VIP booths. It's about drinkers who appreciate top shelf items, skilled staff and who can consume a few "nice things" in one sitting - think top shelf classic cocktails, or high value nips and drams. Nice work if you can get it. :cheers:
thats the stuff im talking about a rare treat in Adelaide

The Scooter Guy

#108 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:20 pm

For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

The Scooter Guy

#109 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:38 pm

Watch this space for photos with an epic view this Thursday!

EDIT (20/01/2015): Here's some pics from Citymag!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

ghs

#110 Post by ghs » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Just thought I would let people know that there's a dress code for this place.

Turn up in shorts, a t-shirt and thongs like I did today and you won't get any further
then the ground floor :D

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#111 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:59 am

ghs wrote:Just thought I would let people know that there's a dress code for this place.

Turn up in shorts, a t-shirt and thongs like I did today and you won't get any further
:lol: You didn't?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

The Scooter Guy

#112 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:02 pm

ghs wrote:Just thought I would let people know that there's a dress code for this place.

Same thing happened to me! But I still managed to take pics today!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthesc ... 765876776/

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#113 Post by Will » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:52 pm

From the Advertiser:
Former Westpac building on King William St in Adelaide gets multimillion upgrade

Giuseppe Tauriello COMMERCIAL PROPERTY
The Advertiser
February 17, 2015 12:00AM

ED Peter doesn’t usually invest in office property but when the former Westpac building on King William St hit the market, his love of art deco inspired a vision to transform one of the city’s iconic properties.

In 2012, Mr Peter’s international investment group Duxton Asset Management paid $6.45 million for the building in a joint venture with Zentree Investments.

Less than three years later, and following a multi-million dollar upgrade, the building has welcomed Jamie’s Italian, rooftop bar 2KW and office tenants Commercial & General and Rabobank, which have both taken a floor and will share naming rights.

Mr Peter said while his company typically focused on investment in the agriculture sector, the building offered a rare opportunity to develop an iconic building in the centre of the city.

He would not disclose how much has been spent on the upgrade but said it was “more than I’d like and less than what the market thinks”.

“I saw the For Sale sign on the building and thought, ‘Wow what a beautiful building’ - it’s just absolutely gorgeous,” he said.

“I love art deco and I thought it would be the most expensive thing in the planet - you're dead centre in the city.”

“We looked at the asbestos report and Westpac had cleaned the asbestos out in 1970 or ‘80 - but the problem was earthquaking - to get it to code.”

“It was amazingly painful but we sort of guessed it would be - the problem is there were so many different codes you have to comply with.”

Mr Peter relocated to Adelaide around four years ago following a career that has taken him to financial centres across the world, including Zurich, Hong Kong, and most recently Singapore.

Duxton manages around $850 million of assets around the world, including around $300 million of assets under management in Australia.

The company’s directors invest in each of the assets acquired on behalf of clients, which include major pension and superannuation funds.

As chairman, Mr Peter oversees the company’s operations from his office in Stirling, and is bullish about the state’s prospects. Education, food, medical research and minerals and energy are key industries for the state, Mr Peter said.

“Has the state got huge potential and is it a really exciting place - yeah,” he said.

“I would have never had said this ten years ago but having lived here I think it’s an extraordinary place.”

“It’s bureaucratic - I’m not going to say anything new here - it is more difficult here to execute certain things but does that mean it’s impossible - no.”

“I think the current government is starting to realise that.”

“We’ve also got a great entrepreneurial spirit - I’ve met so many people here that are self made.”

Rabobank’s 20 staff relocated to the building late last year after outgrowing its previous King William St home of 12 years, branch manager Frank Young said.

“To see the revitalisation of a building that had been sitting idle for ten years, and seeing what was happening in the city it seemed like the perfect base for us,” he said.

Five floors in the 5200sqm building - each around 530sqm - remain available for lease, as well as a 180sqm mezzanine level

Llessur2002

#114 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:00 am

New Commercial & General signage went up over the weekend on the North face of the building. Can't post the photo as my phone's 10 years old and doesn't do that stuff without a cable. Will get one up tonight if no one else has beaten me to it...

Edit: Have found a way. Here it is.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#115 Post by Ben » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:46 am

Llessur2002 wrote:New Commercial & General signage went up over the weekend on the North face of the building. Can't post the photo as my phone's 10 years old and doesn't do that stuff without a cable. Will get one up tonight if no one else has beaten me to it...

Edit: Have found a way. Here it is.

I think this building should've been left with out signage, unless it was for Jamie Olivers... Just my opinion.

Nathan

#116 Post by Nathan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:06 am

Signage could have been ok, but the way they've done it isn't very sympathetic to the building..

Llessur2002

#117 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:32 am

Nathan wrote:Signage could have been ok, but the way they've done it isn't very sympathetic to the building..
It does seem a bit of a shame to spend so much on restoring the building and then put a modern sign on it. Something more of the period would have worked well - in similar non-illuminated letters as the original Bank of New South Wales sign would have been. Unfortunately that won't be seen by the 30-50,000 people walking back to the city from the Oval after every footy game which I am sure is a big plus for whoever gets their name in lights here.

I wonder what will happen to the west face of the building if more tenants move in, or whether they've made a decision to keep the main facade signage free?

Still, good to know the office space in the building is at least partially tenanted.

Patrick_27

#118 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:29 am

Are you guys seriously going to sit there and critique the new signage on this building? There's really nothing wrong with it - it's clean and doesn't intrude on the facade, and I don't see how Jamie's Italian having naming rights of the building would have made any improvement on what's been put up. If you guys want to critique something, how about the horrible attempt at a face-lift just across King William Street on the other corner, now there's an eyesore that can be seen from Northern suburbs.

Patrick_27

#119 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:44 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Are you guys seriously going to sit there and critique the new signage on this building? There's really nothing wrong with it - it's clean and doesn't intrude on the facade, and I don't see how Jamie's Italian having naming rights of the building would have made any improvement on what's been put up. If you guys want to critique something, how about the horrible attempt at a face-lift just across King William Street on the other corner, now there's an eyesore that can be seen from Northern suburbs.
Furthermore, at-least we now have one less commercial building to fill in the CBD.

Llessur2002

#120 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:35 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Are you guys seriously going to sit there and critique the new signage on this building?
Yes. :wink: