[VIS] New inner-city stadium

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: New inner-city stadium

#121 Post by claybro » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:44 pm

Not sure how any of that fits the brief for an inner city stadium to enhance the existing riverside precincts.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#122 Post by rev » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:07 am

claybro wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:44 pm
Not sure how any of that fits the brief for an inner city stadium to enhance the existing riverside precincts.
What brief for an inner city stadium to enhance the riverside precincts?
As far as I'm aware no decision has been made, and there's no specified intention of where they want to build a new stadium.
It's all just speculation.
I could be wrong, but if there is a brief or intent to build it in a riverside location, then I hope Park 12 is chosen :P

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#123 Post by Furyan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:41 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:07 am
claybro wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:44 pm
What brief for an inner city stadium to enhance the riverside precincts?
As far as I'm aware no decision has been made, and there's no specified intention of where they want to build a new stadium.
It's all just speculation.
I could be wrong, but if there is a brief or intent to build it in a riverside location, then I hope Park 12 is chosen :P
Its not meant to.
As much as I would like a riverside location there may never be consensus as to where it should go.
This is just an alternative option to the current proposals that have been put forward.

Nathan

#124 Post by Nathan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:18 pm

Dramatic video reveals full plans for second Riverbank sport and entertainment stadium, with elevating soccer pitch
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 538bacb558

A multipurpose sports and entertainment arena planned for the Riverbank would have a field that turns into a roof and create almost 6000 jobs, a newly-revealed pitch video reveals.

Advertiser.com.au has obtained a dramatic fly-through and business pitch for the plan, which was produced by Adelaide Venue Management in its sell to the State Government.

It operates Adelaide Convention Centre, the Entertainment Centre and Coopers Stadium.

It is understood the video was developed late last year, and presented to the Government.

Premier Steven Marshall used the opening of parliament this year to put a second major city stadium on the agenda, but plans were put on ice as COVID rocked the state budget.

However, leading industry groups are now calling for the plans to be urgently reconsidered as the Reserve Bank called on states to deliver more stimulus to save and create jobs.

The proposed arena, dubbed Riverbank West, is sold as a fix to a range of sporting facilities that are at or nearing the end of their useful lives as well as for cultural and business events.

The most dramatic design feature is a rectangular soccer and rugby pitch designed to FIFA standards that can be elevated to create an enclosed space for conventions and indoor sport.

The arena would be tucked in on the riverfront, behind the new Royal Adelaide Hospital and train station, southwest of Adelaide Oval and adjacent the Adelaide Convention Centre.

Sports to be hosted there would include basketball, netball, soccer, rugby and tennis.

The capacity would be 15,000 fans in “court sports mode” for basketball and netball, but able to flex up to 22,000 for field sports like soccer and get 30,000 for arena-style concerts.

Proponents urge the government to back the plan to help deliver Mr Marshall’s “growth agenda”, a strategy he launched to focus on growing population and the economy.

“In order to unlock the full potential of the South Australian growth agenda we must be competitive, strategic and future-thinking,” the pitch video states.

“Currently, our exiting venue infrastructure is unable to maintain current socio-economic benefits or create new growth opportunities for South Australia.

“SA is missing out and is no longer competitive.

“The Riverbank West development gives South Australia the opportunity to grow as a world-class destination for investment, migration and liveability.”

The arena is imagined as the centre of a new CBD precinct that would able to unlock further private investment and activity around hotels, offices and recreation.

An accompanying business case forecasts 3200 direct and 5800 indirect jobs.

Master Builders SA chief executive Ian Markos has urged the government to put the plans back on the agenda, along with other landmark CBD projects such as a new concert hall.

Property Council of Australia SA executive director Daniel Gannon on Monday joined the push, saying low interest rates gave governments the capacity to borrow and build.

“SA needs to reinvent itself as the world and economy change around us,” he said.

“We need to put cranes across Adelaide’s skyline and undertake the biggest construction boom SA has ever seen.

“Let’s walk away from COVID-19 and proudly point to an infrastructure legacy that will drive economic development for generations to come.

He said “social infrastructure” should be given a higher priority than the South Rd tunnels, which are expected to cost more than $10 billion, because it created more economic spin-offs.

Treasurer Rob Lucas said a new stadium, which could cost $1.3 billion, would take too long to plan and build to deliver the new jobs needed in the current COVID recession.

He said the government was already in the midst of a $12.9 billion infrastructure program delivering upgrades to hospitals, schools and city and country roads.

“The things we are looking at is a whole series of projects that you can bring forward, and areas where you can leverage other money as well like transport,” Mr Lucas said.

A separate group has also been pushing a competing plan for a new CBD stadium.

A previous plan for a $200 million Memorial Drive upgrade has been expanded under a business case developed for Adelaide Oval’s Stadium Management Authority.

The tennis centre upgrade plan, which would involve closing War Memorial Drive to through traffic, is being pitched as significantly cheaper than the rival proposal by the railyards.

Stryker
Gold-Member ;)

#125 Post by Stryker » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:50 pm

That'd be awesome!

PeFe

#126 Post by PeFe » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Awesome x 2

followthefish
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#127 Post by followthefish » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:33 pm

As much as I love the design of the stadium and precinct as a whole, I would prefer the stadium be built at a lower cost to cater for soccer, rugby, and large concerts, and then use some of left over money to build an indoor arena on the Memorial Drive site for tennis, netball, and basketball.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#128 Post by Mpol03 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:10 pm

Will this be built over the rail yards?

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#129 Post by mattwinter » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:16 pm

followthefish wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:33 pm
As much as I love the design of the stadium and precinct as a whole, I would prefer the stadium be built at a lower cost to cater for soccer, rugby, and large concerts, and then use some of left over money to build an indoor arena on the Memorial Drive site for tennis, netball, and basketball.
Yeah fully agree. Looks awesome, but I expect two seperate arenas rather than the fancy lifted floor would be more practical, and probably could be done for a similar cost. All those sports using the one arena could create a fair few clashes....

Algernon

#130 Post by Algernon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:33 pm

What shocks me about the render is it has Adelaide United v Adelaide City. Maybe an FFA Cup match :lol:

ChillyPhilly

#131 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:11 am

Algernon wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:33 pm
What shocks me about the render is it has Adelaide United v Adelaide City. Maybe an FFA Cup match :lol:
Future national league after Adelaide City gain promotion to the top flight? :lol:

I'm a fan of this proposal - it's the most far-sighted of the inner-city stadium plans we've seen. Keeping this away from the grubby hands of the SMA will be important.

On a side note it will be interesting to see what this means for the potential future return of interstate passenger rail to ARS.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#132 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:52 pm

If people have not been able to see the full video, it's available here:

https://www.news.com.au/national/south- ... 176c114b8a

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#133 Post by cmet » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:45 pm

10/10

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#134 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:57 pm

My vote is still for a separate arena (preferably Memorial Drive, but location agnostic). Rectangle sports stadium can be addressed at a later date.

If we're talking strategic planning, then consolidating all venues into one that is fit-for-purpose for none is not the right approach.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#135 Post by rev » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:59 pm

What indoor sports are they going to use a full sized stadium for? The pitch is going to lift it self up to create a roof and enclosed arena? So there's then going to be moveable seating/stands to create say a tennis court or two? A basketball court/arena? How are they going to manage the scheduling for multiple sports with different needs between the full grass pitch and smaller court requirements? Tennis, basketball and soccer all run in the summer months. If we pick up a larger tennis tournament (which should be the aim), they tend to run at least for a week or two, and require the courts throughout each day of the tournament. How is soccer and basketball going to fit in to that? And that doesn't even take in to account potential concerts, most of which happen in the summer months anyway.

Disaster in the making if they intend to pack virtually all remaining major codes into the one venue.

Personally I still think the best option is to redevelop Memorial Drive (get rid of next gen gym) into a proper tennis stadium with surrounding infrastructure to host ATP/WTA tournaments, and a separate rectangular arena across the road on the east of Adelaide Oval.