[U/C] Victoria Tower - 36 Grote Street | 123m | 35 levels | apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: 36 Grote Street | ~112m | 33 levels | apartments

#16 Post by Ben » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:39 pm

I wonder if this has been cancelled or run into some problems. Nothing has been talked about since the initial application and many other proposals lodged after this have subsequently already been approved.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Algernon » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:22 pm

Ben wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:39 pm
I wonder if this has been cancelled or run into some problems. Nothing has been talked about since the initial application and many other proposals lodged after this have subsequently already been approved.
These chinese money proposals can all be turned on and off like a tap. It really depends on what the political/regulatory situation is in China. When the rich get scared, they move their money off shore typically through property developments or acquisitions. Gotta spend it or lose it. Not saying this is a bad thing, only to say that it doesn't really go like clockwork.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by Norman » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:37 pm

I believe there is a sales office on Grote Street, I can confirm tomorrow.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: 36 Grote Street | 119m | 33 levels | apartments

#19 Post by Ben » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:26 pm

This is going before the SCAP next Wednesday. the building is taller than first thought at 118.6m.

https://www.saplanningcommission.sa.gov ... hments.pdf

In my opinion unfortunately the government architect has got it wrong and has encouraged a dumbing down of the design. I don't know why they have an interest in having all proposals to look the same or similar.

Comments re the changes:
The podium design was amended throughout the course of the assessment, notably by removing the recessed and curved corner form initially proposed, which was the subject of contention with the Government Architect and State Heritage as it was seen to be incongruous to the existing fine grain character and the established characteristics of street corners. The resolution of the podium has since been accepted by both agencies, and is considered to be a positive contribution to the human scale and activation of the Grote Street and Penaluna Place frontages.

Amended proposal

Original Proposal

Algernon

#20 Post by Algernon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:37 pm

Well the positive aspect is that the first 3 levels aren't garbage

Patrick_27

#21 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:12 pm

Algernon wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:37 pm
I actually prefer the brick finish of first few floors in the revised proposal, however not particularly fond of them changing the curvature on the upper levels of the podium. Not sure how that change will benefit the street level?

Algernon

#22 Post by Algernon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:26 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:12 pm
Algernon wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:37 pm
I actually prefer the brick finish of first few floors in the revised proposal, however not particularly fond of them changing the curvature on the upper levels of the podium. Not sure how that change will benefit the street level?
They're trying to lessen the impact on the Metropolitan by providing a glass frontage with a seemless border on the corner. Very roughly speaking, trying to trick the eye into thinking it's a 3 storey brick building (more sympathetic in scale to the metropolitan), with pretty blue sky above it (the glass). It's technically proficient, straight out of a 1st year architecture textbook and perfectly fits for what a government appointed architect would "think" the design needs. It also looks like complete and utter shit. Plot twist, there's a 30 storey building above it, turns out eyes can see that too. But really proficient.

Nort

#23 Post by Nort » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:38 pm

I prefer the curve at ground level for something interesting, but I do like the brick of the amended because of how well it will tie into the Central Markets redevelopment across the street.

Love that we can get a proposal like this now that isn't just met with excitement for its height being tall by Adelaide standards. It was only a few years ago that even the rumour of an ~120m tower would have been the most exciting thing going on.

edit: Just did some quick numbers. 5 years ago we had 3 towers over 100m. In another 5 we'll likely have at least 13.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Jaymz » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:36 pm

Let's hope The Advertiser today has it wrong. If this 33 level building is getting built for $25 million then we'd be better off without it.

Hopefully just poor reporting.

Smithy84
Gold-Member ;)

#25 Post by Smithy84 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:34 am

Jaymz wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:36 pm
Let's hope The Advertiser today has it wrong. If this 33 level building is getting built for $25 million then we'd be better off without it.

Hopefully just poor reporting.
Agreed… $25m is a huge concern.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:47 am

Can someone with access to the article please actually post it, thanks.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by AG » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:03 pm

Article from Saturday's paper here
Attachments
20210619_192447.jpg

[Shuz]

#28 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:49 pm

Just realised this tower and Adelaide Central Markets tower will be across the road from each other!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nort

#29 Post by Nort » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:03 pm

Is there any chance the council would object to that lane widening? Unless the ACC is expected to spend a lot of money on it seems like not a bad deal.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by Jaymz » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:20 pm

Here's the article as requested.....

State Assessment Commission Panel to discuss 33-level apartment tower on Grote Street
Plans to build a 33-level apartment tower looming over the Central Market will be scrapped if a narrow city lane is not widened.

Colin James
June 19, 2021 - 8:11AM

Developers wanting to build a 33-level apartment tower have been negotiating with Adelaide City Council over the future of a narrow city lane.

Planning approval for the $25m building at the intersection of Grote St and Penaluna Place will be sought from the State Commission Assessment Panel next week.

A report by government planning staff says its future is dependent on Penaluna Place being widened to two lanes to enable access by residents and service vehicles, such as rubbish trucks.

This would involve the council being given a 1.2m-wide strip of private land on the 1200sq m site’s western side.

“At the time of writing, this agreement is not in place,” says the report. “However, the applicant is endeavouring to have both parties sign the agreement in advance of SCAP considering the application.”

Original designs for an eight-level podium at the bottom of the building were changed after concerns were raised by the State Government’s Office for Design and Architecture.

The development will involve the demolition of a two-storey masonry building that once housed the La Boheme bar and Tunney’s tobacco store, which opened in 1910.

The tower will be built next to the State Heritage-listed Metropolitan Hotel and Her Majesty’s Theatre and opposite the Adelaide Central Market.

It will feature shops and cafes on its ground floor, carparking and commercial space on its first six floors and then apartments on the remaining 26 levels.

There will be three, three-bedroom penthouse apartments on the top level.

In her assessment of the application, government chief architect Kirsteen Mackay expressed concerns about the overall commercial-appearance of the building and its potential impact on the surrounding area, especially Penaluna Place.

“I am particularly concerned by the duplicated dual lane cross overs to Penaluna Place and the resultant impact on the pedestrian link,” she said.

“To that end, I am also concerned by the proposed road widening arrangement to the southern end of Penaluna Place to accommodate the anticipated increase in vehicle movements.

Ms Mackay said her support for the project was “contingent on the large scale development being executed to an exemplary quality commensurate with this significant central location.”

“ … I am of the view that the current architectural expression appears highly commercial and does not reflect the primary residential use,” she said.

“It is critical that the proposal presents a convincing contribution to the established character of the locality and the wider urban context which, in my opinion, is yet to be successfully demonstrated.”

Ms Mackay questioned the size of the balconies for the apartments, saying they did not meet the minimum requirements of the City of Adelaide development plan.

“In my opinion, this is inconsistent with the high level residential amenity envisaged for the central site location,” she said.

“I recommend further review of the apartment layouts and fenestration arrangements to ensure optimum residential amenity for all apartments.”

The application will be discussed by SCAP on Wednesday.