[PRO] St Peters Cathedral [$100 million]

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Re: [PRO] St Peters Cathedral [$100 million]

Post by claybro »

SRW wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:01 pm
elderpark.png
I think somebody's gonna be in trouble for releasing unannounced state government concepts.

Note also Bicentennial Park in front of the railways.

(Btw, I don't think we should be posting articles in full from InDaily given they depend on advertising for operations. They're our only remaining competitor to Murdoch media locally after The Adelaide Review announced its last edition yesterday).
Wait-what? Concert hall next to the Festival centre on Elder Park? Where did this concept come from?
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: [PRO] St Peters Cathedral [$100 million]

Post by rev »

Algernon wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:53 pm
Btw, what's up with that womens and childrens hospital in the graphic. I could have sworn it's Bosco Verticale in Milan :lol:
That's one of the renders released for the NWCH.
User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2899
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City

Re: [PRO] St Peters Cathedral [$100 million]

Post by SRW »

claybro wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:07 am
SRW wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:01 pm
elderpark.png
I think somebody's gonna be in trouble for releasing unannounced state government concepts.

Note also Bicentennial Park in front of the railways.

(Btw, I don't think we should be posting articles in full from InDaily given they depend on advertising for operations. They're our only remaining competitor to Murdoch media locally after The Adelaide Review announced its last edition yesterday).
Wait-what? Concert hall next to the Festival centre on Elder Park? Where did this concept come from?
We've (I've) definitely been talking about it on here for a long time, but this is this first public indication the government is thinking the same.
Keep Adelaide Weird
arki
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:35 am

Re: [PRO] St Peters Cathedral [$100 million]

Post by arki »

This is a very vague proposal as it stands, I am not sure we need yet another plaza when another is currently under construction 500m down the road and in a much more prominent location at the Festival Centre.

Something that the cathedral has needed for years, would be a relatively cheap and quick win, and that the government should be supporting or should have supported with the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval is an architectural lighting system to highlight the features of the cathedral at night.

It’s sad that one of our most visible landmarks is bathed in a bland sodium spot lamp strung from across the road. European cities do architectural lighting quite well (often cathedrals) and closer to home St Francis Xavier has some well designed lighting since the redevelopment.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Re: [PRO] St Peters Cathedral [$100 million]

Post by claybro »

SRW wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:21 am
claybro wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:07 am
SRW wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:01 pm
elderpark.png
I think somebody's gonna be in trouble for releasing unannounced state government concepts.

Note also Bicentennial Park in front of the railways.

(Btw, I don't think we should be posting articles in full from InDaily given they depend on advertising for operations. They're our only remaining competitor to Murdoch media locally after The Adelaide Review announced its last edition yesterday).
Wait-what? Concert hall next to the Festival centre on Elder Park? Where did this concept come from?
We've (I've) definitely been talking about it on here for a long time, but this is this first public indication the government is thinking the same.
I'm aware that this has been discussed at length, but I wasn't aware this specific site was discussed. I think it is an excellent site, provided it fits neatly with the existing Feztival Centre, and doesn't gobble up too much of Elder Park. It would make Adelaides riverbank precinct resemble the cultural ensemble at Southbank in Brisbane -perhaps minus the gaudiness, which is a very successful precinct. Also note the location of the arena at Memorial Drive. St Peters redevelopment aside, I think whoever drew up the concept, actually got it right, with the locations of each component. I doubt this do nothing government is capable of making it happen unfortunately.
ml69
Legendary Member!
Posts: 938
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Adelaide SA

Re: [PRO] St Peters Cathedral [$100 million]

Post by ml69 »

I’d love to see a 2-storey cafe/bar/restaurant/function space in that glass Elder Jewel building. Give some reason for people to come to the riverbank at night.

Also, I know they’re only artist impressions, but the sports arena appears to be about the size of a 7000-8000 capacity arena. It’s not a full-sized Entertainment Centre.
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4608
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: [PRO] St Peters Cathedral [$100 million]

Post by rev »

arki wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:47 am
This is a very vague proposal as it stands, I am not sure we need yet another plaza when another is currently under construction 500m down the road and in a much more prominent location at the Festival Centre.

Something that the cathedral has needed for years, would be a relatively cheap and quick win, and that the government should be supporting or should have supported with the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval is an architectural lighting system to highlight the features of the cathedral at night.

It’s sad that one of our most visible landmarks is bathed in a bland sodium spot lamp strung from across the road. European cities do architectural lighting quite well (often cathedrals) and closer to home St Francis Xavier has some well designed lighting since the redevelopment.
That's kind of like saying we only need one 'mall', one 'square'. I don't think it matters how many there are, but whether they are put to use in a meaningful way and designed appropriately for that.

As for lighting, the only time imo we've done lighting features really well in Adelaide is when they lit up all those buildings in the city with random designs and art. Quite a few of those lighting displays made the architectural features of some buildings stand out.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Re: [PRO] St Peters Cathedral [$100 million]

Post by claybro »

rev wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:44 pm
arki wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:47 am
This is a very vague proposal as it stands, I am not sure we need yet another plaza when another is currently under construction 500m down the road and in a much more prominent location at the Festival Centre.

Something that the cathedral has needed for years, would be a relatively cheap and quick win, and that the government should be supporting or should have supported with the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval is an architectural lighting system to highlight the features of the cathedral at night.

It’s sad that one of our most visible landmarks is bathed in a bland sodium spot lamp strung from across the road. European cities do architectural lighting quite well (often cathedrals) and closer to home St Francis Xavier has some well designed lighting since the redevelopment.
That's kind of like saying we only need one 'mall', one 'square'. I don't think it matters how many there are, but whether they are put to use in a meaningful way and designed appropriately for that.

As for lighting, the only time imo we've done lighting features really well in Adelaide is when they lit up all those buildings in the city with random designs and art. Quite a few of those lighting displays made the architectural features of some buildings stand out.
Agree with all re the lighting. St Peters really is a grand cathedral by Australian standards, helped in prominence by its slightly elevated position, on a bend in the road. Very English in its setting. Lit up properly, it would look spectacular. Same goes for the Festival Cente. The bandstand in Elder Park looks great with its lights on.
User avatar
ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Ascot Park

Re: [PRO] St Peters Cathedral [$100 million]

Post by ReallyBad »

Algernon wrote:My girlfriend and I visit quite a number of churches in the year when we travel, not only from being fans of old architecture but also it's pretty strongly woven into the cultural fabric here in Europe where we live. From our last visit to Adelaide, I can suggest one way that St Peters can improve its annual visitation compared to, say... Francis Xavier cathedral.... DON'T LOCK THE FRONT DOOR.
It's a church of England thing. In Europe you go to any catholic Church for free, you can make a donation of course, get to England and it costs to go inside a CofE church - if they are open.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.
User avatar
Algernon
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1215
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Moravia

Re: [PRO] St Peters Cathedral [$100 million]

Post by Algernon »

ReallyBad wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:17 pm
Algernon wrote:My girlfriend and I visit quite a number of churches in the year when we travel, not only from being fans of old architecture but also it's pretty strongly woven into the cultural fabric here in Europe where we live. From our last visit to Adelaide, I can suggest one way that St Peters can improve its annual visitation compared to, say... Francis Xavier cathedral.... DON'T LOCK THE FRONT DOOR.
It's a church of England thing. In Europe you go to any catholic Church for free, you can make a donation of course, get to England and it costs to go inside a CofE church - if they are open.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Catholics do it too :) But depends where you go. For example in Milan we had to pay an entrance fee for Duomo di Milano - and then when we got to the entrance they slugged us to buy this big frock to cover my girlfriend's 'modesty' because her skirt was above her knees. Also in Verona they charged us 20 EUR each to see the big 4 churches. It's not for all of them though. Walked straight in to everything in Bergamo. And in other cities/countries they are more inviting. In my city Brno, they are so desperate for people to go to church that they even have an open day called "night of churches" where you can go in and get the grand tour of everything for free (but it's only one day a few times each year for the tour part). The only thing they charge for is an underground area were there's thousands of skeletons from the Black Death (not to be confused with the famous Bone Church in Kutna Hora which i remember paying to get into years ago.

But yeah, it's pretty funny that St Peters should be talking about increasing patronage. We were desperate to get in and have a look but it was welded shut :lol:
Post Reply