New City Arena

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: New City Arena

#121 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:57 pm

Apart from the nonsensical nature of this proposal because SMA/Tennis SA have been pitching a Memorial Drive upgrade for years and this ultimately won out. I don't think the numbers stack up in terms of return for investment, it reeks of under the table dealings between AVM and the state government. And frankly, comparatively where is even a fraction of that kind of infrastructure spending on the arts/cultural sector ever? How much money does the Fringe, Adelaide Festival, and Cabaret Festival return to this state per-annum? And yet, AFC had to donor fund more than half of the Her Maj upgrade. Any upgrades received or pending at the Festival Centre internally/externally are merely cosmetic to tie in with the Festival Plaza redevelopment and aren't going where they're needed (technical/back of house), the ASO and AFC have been pitching a concert hall to current and previous government(s) for years to no avail continually sidelined for sport infrastructure spends (this being one of them). You have the State Library, Art Gallery and Museum begging for funding to expand their facilities and programmes and put more of their collections on public display and instead the government give a mere $80m for a new storage facility for all three institutions that was originally promised 22-years ago when they were last in government. Sure, they're building the new indigenous cultures gallery but once again there is an ulterior motive behind that in that it ties in with their Lot 14 plans. The sporting sector receives so many hand outs no questions asked whilst other sectors crumble (most being told to maximise the very little funding they receive), and I'll bet it probably has a lot to do with gambling industry and there reliance on sport.

claybro

#122 Post by claybro » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:48 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:57 pm
Apart from the nonsensical nature of this proposal because SMA/Tennis SA have been pitching a Memorial Drive upgrade for years and this ultimately won out. I don't think the numbers stack up in terms of return for investment, it reeks of under the table dealings between AVM and the state government. And frankly, comparatively where is even a fraction of that kind of infrastructure spending on the arts/cultural sector ever? How much money does the Fringe, Adelaide Festival, and Cabaret Festival return to this state per-annum? And yet, AFC had to donor fund more than half of the Her Maj upgrade. Any upgrades received or pending at the Festival Centre internally/externally are merely cosmetic to tie in with the Festival Plaza redevelopment and aren't going where they're needed (technical/back of house), the ASO and AFC have been pitching a concert hall to current and previous government(s) for years to no avail continually sidelined for sport infrastructure spends (this being one of them). You have the State Library, Art Gallery and Museum begging for funding to expand their facilities and programmes and put more of their collections on public display and instead the government give a mere $80m for a new storage facility for all three institutions that was originally promised 22-years ago when they were last in government. Sure, they're building the new indigenous cultures gallery but once again there is an ulterior motive behind that in that it ties in with their Lot 14 plans. The sporting sector receives so many hand outs no questions asked whilst other sectors crumble (most being told to maximise the very little funding they receive), and I'll bet it probably has a lot to do with gambling industry and there reliance on sport.
This is an age old question and not just in SA. Sport generates multi millions, week in week out in tourism and employment way and above the arts. The move of AFL from West Lakes to the CBD spawned a multitude of new hotel developments, and increased visitor numbers to Adelaide CBD on a level that the arts could only dream of. That is not to say there is not a social contract various governments should engage in. The amenity and culture of a city/state, is not necessarily as financial tangible ,or even from a mental health point of view. Just when it comes down to cold hard cash-sport in Australia rightly or wrongly will always win, because it appeals to the masses, in a way that the arts just don't.
I am NOT saying that more investment should not be put into arts venues and programs, only an observation of what exists. If any city has got the balance right between arts and sport funding it is probably Melbourne, but when the funds dry up over there, they too will make some tough choices. If the SA government chose to pump a couple of hundred million into the Festival center, or half a billion into a proper concert hall, it still would not attract the types of numbers and out of town tourists an indoor sports stadium will, so they have chosen what they think will attract the most activity and hopefully for them-votes. The Memorial Drive v new venue is a different question, given there is no detailed costing or plans into the cost of properly upgrading Memorial Drive, or indeed the new proposal.

Waewick

#123 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:01 pm

Jaymz wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love a shiny new stadium as much as anyone, but I really don't see the need for this one. If the purpose is mostly to attract larger musical acts then we already have those bases covered.... Adelaide Oval, Entertainment Centre (which I still believe is more than adequate and well serviced by the tram) and even Coopers Stadium.... which has previously been used for acts such as Foo Fighters, Fleetwood Mac etc.

They talk about the new stadium providing more convention space, but I struggle to see how the three built side by side on the river aren't enough. I mean, is the current Convention Centre at capacity? I doubt it.

As for the massive spend on finishing the North/South Motorway, I see this as expensive but super important that it gets done and done properly the first time. The decision to make the new tunnels three lanes instead of two I think is a sensible idea as once they are completed they can't be widened.
I was at a function where they had some people taking about this.

Apparently the convention centre isn't big enough to win the bigger conventions that go on around the world. This extension will allow them to bid on even bigger conventions than they do now. They indicated figures that for every $ spent on these conventions participants spend $6 ( twice as much as a normal tourist)

This was never about a sports stadium it seems, that just appears a useful addon ( and a misguided selling point)

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#124 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:22 pm

Waewick wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:01 pm
Jaymz wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love a shiny new stadium as much as anyone, but I really don't see the need for this one. If the purpose is mostly to attract larger musical acts then we already have those bases covered.... Adelaide Oval, Entertainment Centre (which I still believe is more than adequate and well serviced by the tram) and even Coopers Stadium.... which has previously been used for acts such as Foo Fighters, Fleetwood Mac etc.

They talk about the new stadium providing more convention space, but I struggle to see how the three built side by side on the river aren't enough. I mean, is the current Convention Centre at capacity? I doubt it.

As for the massive spend on finishing the North/South Motorway, I see this as expensive but super important that it gets done and done properly the first time. The decision to make the new tunnels three lanes instead of two I think is a sensible idea as once they are completed they can't be widened.

Apparently the convention centre isn't big enough to win the bigger conventions that go on around the world. This extension will allow them to bid on even bigger conventions than they do now. They indicated figures that for every $ spent on these conventions participants spend $6 ( twice as much as a normal tourist)

This was never about a sports stadium it seems, that just appears a useful addon ( and a misguided selling point)

I hope as I have mentioned before they have comprehensively investigated the likelihood of such global large-scale conventions happening again post-Covid.

Algernon

#125 Post by Algernon » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:02 am

gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:22 pm
Waewick wrote:

I hope as I have mentioned before they have comprehensively investigated the likelihood of such global large-scale conventions happening again post-Covid.
Good point. In the city I live (Brno) the Exibition Centre was converted to a temporary field hospital for COVID infections (during the 6 month peak where about 0.25% of the whole country died) then later became the designated mass vaccination centre (still in operation).

For context, our borders haven't really been closed in the same fashion as Australia and we share 4 land borders in the middle of a continent. Even still. there were no qualms whatsoever about closing the place and repurposing it.

Gonna be some years before anyone let alone Adelaide needs an Exibition Centre, let alone a one of its current size, let alone a bigger one.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#126 Post by A-Town » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:29 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:22 pm
Waewick wrote:

I'd be very surprised if this isn't happening by the time it's built.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#127 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:27 pm

I am not a Subscriber.
$700m Riverbank Arena sparks debate over railyards future.
A park? Plaza? Factory outlet centre with cinema? The planned $700m indoor arena beside the River Torrens has reignited debate over the railyards.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... edadead830
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Nathan

#128 Post by Nathan » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:08 pm

Riverbank Arena plan reignites debate over building on top of Adelaide CBD railyards
A park? Plaza? Factory outlet centre with cinema? The planned $700m indoor arena beside the River Torrens has reignited debate over the railyards

A property industry leader and the lord mayor are calling for better access from the CBD to the Torrens riverbank over Adelaide’s railyards.

With the state government planning to build a $700m multipurpose indoor arena between the railyards and the River Torrens, debate over what should be done about the train tracks has reignited.

The planned Riverbank Arena would include an underground tunnel below the Morphett St bridge, providing a direct link from the Adelaide Convention Centre.

But that would not solve the access issue from North Tce, west of Morphett St, to the riverbank.

SA Urban Development Institute chief executive Pat Gerace said the railyards acted as a “moat”, blocking access from much of North Tce to the riverbank.

“If the arena is to proceed, they should do all that they can to ensure that the investment is made now for connectivity between North Tce and the riverbank to really take maximum advantage of it,” Mr Gerace said.

Mr Gerace suggested one option of building a plaza over the top of the rail lines to accompany the arena, making it a “more welcoming space”.

He proposed a new train stop at the planned 15,000-capacity arena, improving access from public transport.

“It would be fair to say we’re a long way off embellishing the riverbank the same way that Southbank in Melbourne has, for example,” Mr Gerace said.

Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor said Adelaide City Council did not have an official position on the arena itself, but she, too, would welcome a direct connection over the rail lines, with trains still able to pass through.

“Physical connections across (either over or under) the railyards would be a benefit for parklands users and provide improved access to the city from the parklands,” Ms Verschoor said.

SA Property Council boss Daniel Gannon said there would be “many” access points to the arena, mostly from along the riverbank itself.

“There will be a 30m-wide external opening under the Morphett St bridge, basically next to existing boat sheds, in addition to a 10m-wide underground tunnel that links the internal spaces of the facilities (the arena and convention centre),” Mr Gannon said.

He said the arena was a huge opportunity to link the riverbank and biomedical precincts, creating jobs and ensuring local talent stayed in SA.

“It’s plausible to see short-stay medical and six-star hotel accommodation flanking the arena,” Mr Gannon said.

He also suggested a direct factory retail outlet with a cinema complex could be considered for the area, as well as commercial office spaces and high-end restaurants and bars.

“This is a central and iconic location, and it is also a direct beneficiary of transport feeding into the Festival Plaza, Riverbank Arena and Adelaide’s cultural boulevard, North Tce,” Mr Gannon said.

“For these reasons, we shouldn’t be dissuaded by train tracks – instead, we should embrace the opportunity and develop something truly iconic.”

The location proposed for the arena infringes on Helen Mayo Park, on the banks of the River Torrens.

Adelaide Park Lands Association president Shane Sody said the association would be “campaigning vigorously to save Helen Mayo Park from a proposed arena and/or any other buildings that developers might threaten this open, green public space”.

In 2013, the Adelaide City Council pushed for the state government to build a park over the rail lines. It argued at the time that it would provide an unbroken link between the university buildings directly west of the Morphett St bridge and the Torrens.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#129 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:54 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:08 pm
Riverbank Arena plan reignites debate over building on top of Adelaide CBD railyards
A park? Plaza? Factory outlet centre with cinema? The planned $700m indoor arena beside the River Torrens has reignited debate over the railyards

A property industry leader and the lord mayor are calling for better access from the CBD to the Torrens riverbank over Adelaide’s railyards.

With the state government planning to build a $700m multipurpose indoor arena between the railyards and the River Torrens, debate over what should be done about the train tracks has reignited.

The planned Riverbank Arena would include an underground tunnel below the Morphett St bridge, providing a direct link from the Adelaide Convention Centre.

But that would not solve the access issue from North Tce, west of Morphett St, to the riverbank.

SA Urban Development Institute chief executive Pat Gerace said the railyards acted as a “moat”, blocking access from much of North Tce to the riverbank.

“If the arena is to proceed, they should do all that they can to ensure that the investment is made now for connectivity between North Tce and the riverbank to really take maximum advantage of it,” Mr Gerace said.

Mr Gerace suggested one option of building a plaza over the top of the rail lines to accompany the arena, making it a “more welcoming space”.

He proposed a new train stop at the planned 15,000-capacity arena, improving access from public transport.

“It would be fair to say we’re a long way off embellishing the riverbank the same way that Southbank in Melbourne has, for example,” Mr Gerace said.

Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor said Adelaide City Council did not have an official position on the arena itself, but she, too, would welcome a direct connection over the rail lines, with trains still able to pass through.

“Physical connections across (either over or under) the railyards would be a benefit for parklands users and provide improved access to the city from the parklands,” Ms Verschoor said.

SA Property Council boss Daniel Gannon said there would be “many” access points to the arena, mostly from along the riverbank itself.

“There will be a 30m-wide external opening under the Morphett St bridge, basically next to existing boat sheds, in addition to a 10m-wide underground tunnel that links the internal spaces of the facilities (the arena and convention centre),” Mr Gannon said.

He said the arena was a huge opportunity to link the riverbank and biomedical precincts, creating jobs and ensuring local talent stayed in SA.

“It’s plausible to see short-stay medical and six-star hotel accommodation flanking the arena,” Mr Gannon said.

He also suggested a direct factory retail outlet with a cinema complex could be considered for the area, as well as commercial office spaces and high-end restaurants and bars.

“This is a central and iconic location, and it is also a direct beneficiary of transport feeding into the Festival Plaza, Riverbank Arena and Adelaide’s cultural boulevard, North Tce,” Mr Gannon said.

“For these reasons, we shouldn’t be dissuaded by train tracks – instead, we should embrace the opportunity and develop something truly iconic.”

The location proposed for the arena infringes on Helen Mayo Park, on the banks of the River Torrens.

Adelaide Park Lands Association president Shane Sody said the association would be “campaigning vigorously to save Helen Mayo Park from a proposed arena and/or any other buildings that developers might threaten this open, green public space”.

In 2013, the Adelaide City Council pushed for the state government to build a park over the rail lines. It argued at the time that it would provide an unbroken link between the university buildings directly west of the Morphett St bridge and the Torrens.
If the Advertiser had any credibility or journalistic merit (they have neither of course), they wouldn't even bother asking Gannon for an "independent" perspective. Because as a former advisor to Marshall and rumored candidate for the Liberals for the Upper House, he certainty does not give an independent perspective - regardless of whatever bullshit title he currently has.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#130 Post by Norman » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:50 pm

Nathan wrote:

Sheesh! Anything else in there Daniel? The kitchen's sink? How would these uses be complementing the existing biomedical precinct?

In my opinion, a great start would be some pedestrian access from the hospital across the railyards, and a second entrance to the railway station from the west. That will at least start solving some of these access issues.

Algernon

#131 Post by Algernon » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:00 am

Norman wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:50 pm
Nathan wrote:

Sheesh! Anything else in there Daniel? The kitchen's sink? How would these uses be complementing the existing biomedical precinct?

In my opinion, a great start would be some pedestrian access from the hospital across the railyards, and a second entrance to the railway station from the west. That will at least start solving some of these access issues.
Another piece of the puzzle is the water part of the waterfront not being a fucking cesspit.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#132 Post by rev » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:59 pm

$662m Riverbank Arena can ignite state like Adelaide Oval, says Australian Hotels Association

The state government proposed Riverbank arena can emulate Adelaide Oval and “ignite the state” despite resistance, says the boss of one of SA’s most influential bodies.
Paul Starick
Paul Starick
Editor At Large
@paulstarick
2 min read
September 28, 2021 - 6:56AM

A proposed $662m multipurpose Riverbank arena can overcome initial resistance and ignite the city and state, just like the redeveloped Adelaide Oval, says the influential Australian Hotels Association.

Writing in the AHA’s September newsletter, state president David Basheer says the 15,000-seat arena’s connection to the Adelaide Convention Centre will allow Adelaide to compete for interstate and international events from which it has been locked out.

Mr Basheer concedes “mixed” public reaction to the arena but recalls significant resistance to Adelaide Oval’s $535m redevelopment, opened in 2014.

“It simply took a sold-out Showdown and a Rolling Stones concert (in 2014) to instantly give

the new (Adelaide Oval) stadium unanimous public acceptance. The proposed city arena can ignite the city and the state in a similar way,” writes Mr Basheer, whose hotel group includes North Tce’s Strathmore.

“Look how the Adelaide Oval redevelopment led to significant public and private investment in the area. The arena can further inspire more investment.”

Mr Basheer says the arena is the state’s best long-term opportunity to grow tourism, directly benefiting hotels and other food and beverage outlets. He also highlights the benefits to regional tourism when conference delegates extend their visits.

“The cost of doing nothing will see a further leakage of conferences and events to the new

facilities in Sydney and Melbourne, along with the proposed future expansion in Brisbane,” he says.

The centrepiece of Premier Steven Marshall’s re-election pitch, the arena, when operational from 2028, would attract 825,000 visitors annually, create more than 4500 jobs during construction and add more than $1bn to the state economy, a business case released in August forecasts.

Mr Marshall said a vibrant Riverbank precinct would “ensure we attract high-class, economy boosting conferences, concerts and other events which currently are often choosing other states due to capacity and facility constraints”.

“I am unapologetically ambitious for our state, and this arena is the next piece in the puzzle, which will transform the Riverbank precinct into a world-class destination,” he said.

The Advertiser in March revealed Mr Marshall’s plans for a 15,000-seat, multipurpose indoor arena for sport, entertainment and conventions, built between Adelaide’s railyards and the River Torrens – with major construction not starting until 2025.

Labor in June vowed to scuttle the arena, which it has branded a “basketball stadium”, and divert at least $100m into country health.

But Treasurer Rob Lucas then pointed out that Labor would free up only $10m over the next two years by scrapping the arena.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 9f5eff9f98

How many times are we going to "ignite the state" or "kick start the state" with these projects, before someone actually puts a proper plan together for sustained economic growth instead of relying on these one off projects?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#133 Post by citywatcher » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:26 pm

rev wrote:
$662m Riverbank Arena can ignite state like Adelaide Oval, says Australian Hotels Association

The state government proposed Riverbank arena can emulate Adelaide Oval and “ignite the state” despite resistance, says the boss of one of SA’s most influential bodies.
Paul Starick
Paul Starick
Editor At Large
@paulstarick
2 min read
September 28, 2021 - 6:56AM

A proposed $662m multipurpose Riverbank arena can overcome initial resistance and ignite the city and state, just like the redeveloped Adelaide Oval, says the influential Australian Hotels Association.

Writing in the AHA’s September newsletter, state president David Basheer says the 15,000-seat arena’s connection to the Adelaide Convention Centre will allow Adelaide to compete for interstate and international events from which it has been locked out.

Mr Basheer concedes “mixed” public reaction to the arena but recalls significant resistance to Adelaide Oval’s $535m redevelopment, opened in 2014.

“It simply took a sold-out Showdown and a Rolling Stones concert (in 2014) to instantly give

the new (Adelaide Oval) stadium unanimous public acceptance. The proposed city arena can ignite the city and the state in a similar way,” writes Mr Basheer, whose hotel group includes North Tce’s Strathmore.

“Look how the Adelaide Oval redevelopment led to significant public and private investment in the area. The arena can further inspire more investment.”

Mr Basheer says the arena is the state’s best long-term opportunity to grow tourism, directly benefiting hotels and other food and beverage outlets. He also highlights the benefits to regional tourism when conference delegates extend their visits.

“The cost of doing nothing will see a further leakage of conferences and events to the new

facilities in Sydney and Melbourne, along with the proposed future expansion in Brisbane,” he says.

The centrepiece of Premier Steven Marshall’s re-election pitch, the arena, when operational from 2028, would attract 825,000 visitors annually, create more than 4500 jobs during construction and add more than $1bn to the state economy, a business case released in August forecasts.

Mr Marshall said a vibrant Riverbank precinct would “ensure we attract high-class, economy boosting conferences, concerts and other events which currently are often choosing other states due to capacity and facility constraints”.

“I am unapologetically ambitious for our state, and this arena is the next piece in the puzzle, which will transform the Riverbank precinct into a world-class destination,” he said.

The Advertiser in March revealed Mr Marshall’s plans for a 15,000-seat, multipurpose indoor arena for sport, entertainment and conventions, built between Adelaide’s railyards and the River Torrens – with major construction not starting until 2025.

Labor in June vowed to scuttle the arena, which it has branded a “basketball stadium”, and divert at least $100m into country health.

But Treasurer Rob Lucas then pointed out that Labor would free up only $10m over the next two years by scrapping the arena.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 9f5eff9f98

How many times are we going to "ignite the state" or "kick start the state" with these projects, before someone actually puts a proper plan together for sustained economic growth instead of relying on these one off projects?
There is no plan. Just building infrastructure to be able to grab a small piece of the pie. Thus these one offs are necessary.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Nathan

#134 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:08 pm

If an entertainment centre (sorry, "multipurpose arena") is so good for hotels, an AHA member would have built one near the existing one sometime in the last two decades.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#135 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:48 pm

Where was the significant resistance to the Adelaide Oval rebuild? There was a minority section within SACA opposed to it because it looked like (with some justification it turned out) the SACA heads were selling Adelaide Oval to the AFL, in exchange for getting bars and dining rooms named after them, while ignoring the grade cricket disaster, but otherwise I recall the majority of the state being generally in favour of it.