New City Arena

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: New City Arena

#166 Post by rev » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:39 am

Metallica who were due to play Adelaide Oval, and have multiple sold out shows at Marvel Stadium. Yeh, ok.

As has been said, by multiple people with a finger on the pulse of the industry, the problem isn't a lack of venues.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#167 Post by HiTouch » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:11 am

rev wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:58 pm
floplo wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:03 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:39 am
The issue isn't the stadium, it's the priorities. Our health system is a disaster. That should be fixed first before we even entertain the notion of building another stadium.
To be short, I disagree with that. Was there ever a time when the Health system was not a disaster? And every time more money is put into the system, the response is just "Not enough, we need more, more, more...." . Society always faces choices and trade-offs, and while health is important, it's not the only thing that matters and we should actually spend money on other things.

But more of a Pub discussion, then for this thread.
moderators, feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread.
When was the last time you saw paramedics protesting in such a direct manner?
When was the last time you saw dozens of ambulances ramped at all major public hospitals besides the current situation?

Perhaps it's time the wankers that sit in parliament house on North Terrace listened to the people on the front lines of our health care system?

So you're saying a stadium that nobody has asked for, that we have no need for(at least not the made up needs some people believe), should come before a better health care system? Wow

If the trade off is the health care system in its present state, for a stadium, No thanks.
Especially when there's a perfectly good proposal for across the river at a third of the cost, that would free up 2/3 of the money this wank project will cost, money that could be spent fixing our health care system, and also better equipping other public safety assets like the MFS, CFS and SAPOL. Im sure money could even be spared to fix some God damn roads finally that are like driving off road. How about all those bridges, I believe a majority in the state, that were in desperate need of repair or replacement?
There's many more important things that should get funded before an over the top unnecessary stadium.

I think everybody is overreacting about our health system. Labor established a decent health precinct that blew out the budget and now all the health sector want is money. As soon as you give them an inch, they want a mile.

On the other hand, this arena is completely in the wrong spot, in fact, it makes logical and cost effective sense upgrading the entertainment centre and use the extra money to upgrade Memorial Drive's tennis facilities.

The people who say we will miss out on international performances if we don't upgrade are also wrong. They said the same thing before the entertainment centre upgrade to spruik it up. In Adelaide's case, venue size doesn't matter, ticket sales and promotion do matter and, for the past 10 years, the people who are trying to sell our state to international performances have been really bad at their job.

Maybe if we started investing money into employing industry talent, we would not be having this discussion but I guess hiring these sorts of people would be at the expense of our local big cat's egos.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#168 Post by Nort » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:28 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:11 am
I think everybody is overreacting about our health system. Labor established a decent health precinct that blew out the budget and now all the health sector want is money. As soon as you give them an inch, they want a mile.
Tell us you don't know any Ambo's without telling us you don't know any Ambo's.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#169 Post by HiTouch » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:53 pm

Nort wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:28 pm
HiTouch wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:11 am
Tell us you don't know any Ambo's without telling us you don't know any Ambo's.

it shouldn't matter if I do or don't know ambos. The Ambos are only angry because they are caught up in the emotion that certain lobbyists are gaslighting. It's not the ambos fault, its the middle managers that are causing them to be hysterical. Those middle managers should be fired and ambos should be educated in knowing how good they actually have it. They will naturally calm down when they see.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#170 Post by Jaymz » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:06 pm

Excuse my scepticism, but for my entire adult life i've read or heard the media talk about our health system being in "crisis" or at the "breaking point" and it still seems to function pretty well. First world problems.

For the opposition to promise they will funnel money from the the Riverbank Arena into health, means they will borrow hundreds of millions of dollars over the next 5 years to pump into the health system. That is unlikely to happen, but it's also pork barreling at best and pure recklessness at worst.
Last edited by Jaymz on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#171 Post by A-Town » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Ticketek chief warns superstars will bypass Adelaide unless the Riverbank Arena is built

Australia’s major event ticket agency chief is warning Adelaide will continue to be bypassed by major acts such as Billie Eilish unless the proposed $662m Riverbank Arena is built.

He argues the arena is essential unless Adelaide “is happy to no longer be part of the contemporary live entertainment touring scene”.

Ticketek Australia managing director Cameron Hoy added to event promoters Michael Chugg and the late Michael Gudinski’s endorsements of the arena – the centrepiece of Premier Steven Marshall’s re-election pitch – warning promoters could not make major acts viable at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre.

Mr Hoy’s firm is the ticket promoter for the Australian leg of United States singer-songwriter Eilish’s world tour next September, that will include all mainland state capitals – except Adelaide.

“It’s nothing new, Adelaide is going to continue to be bypassed by major acts, such as Billie Eilish, until such time as it gets a larger arena,” said Mr Hoy, Ticketek’s Australian managing director.

“It’s sad. We’re seeing thousands of South Australians buying tickets to interstate gigs because promoters can’t make these acts commercially viable at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre, due to its lack of capacity.

“The proposed new Adelaide Riverbank Arena is essential unless Adelaide is happy to no longer be part of the contemporary live entertainment touring scene.”

Mr Hoy is also the chief commercial officer and managing director of global ticketing for Ticketek’s parent firm TEG, a Sydney-based global live event, ticketing and technology company that operates in 40 countries.

Mr Marshall seized on Mr Hoy’s comments, declaring the Riverbank Arena would “attract world-class acts right here to our state”.

“It will inject even more life into the city – fill up bars, restaurants and hotels – creating local jobs and massively boosting our economy,” he said.

“I am unapologetically ambitious for our state. Adelaide is the most liveable city in the nation, and the third-most liveable in the world.

“We need a world-class venue to showcase major international artists and draw national events and conferences to our great state.”

The Advertiser in March revealed Mr Marshall’s plans for a 15,000-seat, multipurpose indoor arena for sport, entertainment and conventions, built between Adelaide’s railyards and the River Torrens – with major construction not starting until 2025.

A business case released in August predicted the arena, when operational from 2028, would attract 825,000 visitors annually, create more than 4500 jobs during construction and add more than $1bn to the state economy.

Nine letters of support for the project were highlighted in the business case, from backers including Netball SA, Tennis SA and the Adelaide Convention Bureau – along with event promoters Mr Chugg and the late Mr Gudinski.

Labor in June vowed to scuttle the arena, which it has branded a “basketball stadium”, and divert at least $100m into country health.

But Treasurer Rob Lucas then pointed out that Labor would free up only $10m over the next two years by scrapping the arena – construction would not start until 2025.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertai ... kA-KsBLVJY

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#172 Post by NTRabbit » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:19 pm

Ticketek can't even get their own product to work half the time on a good day, in what world does anyone from their management deserve to be listened to about anything?

Nort

#173 Post by Nort » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:17 pm

Quick back of the envelope maths:

825,000 visitors annually, a build cost of $663,000 and according to proponents in this thread, such venues have a lifespan of 30 years.

Those numbers mean that for each visitor to the venue over its estimated lifespan, the government is paying $26.75.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#174 Post by rev » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:18 am

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:06 pm
Excuse my scepticism, but for my entire adult life i've read or heard the media talk about our health system being in "crisis" or at the "breaking point" and it still seems to function pretty well. First world problems.

For the opposition to promise they will funnel money from the the Riverbank Arena into health, means they will borrow hundreds of millions of dollars over the next 5 years to pump into the health system. That is unlikely to happen, but it's also pork barreling at best and pure recklessness at worst.
Two more deaths this week because of first world problems like not having enough ambulances because they're all stuck ramped at hospitals.

A senior doctor even quit this week because he's had enough of the situation, things like chronic understaffing.

Sure our health system isn't as bad as the third world or that of war zones like Syria. But that doesn't mean we should be content with what's going on, because what's going on is simply not good enough. People should not be dying waiting for an ambulance to become available or dying in the back of an ambulance because there's no room or enough staff in our emergency departments and hospitals.

We don't accept most professions doing excessive consecutive hours between shifts, why do we expect our doctors and nurses to do massive hours? Why is it acceptable for one of our most critical sectors to be over worked?

Ever heard of a politicians office or parliament being understaffed or politicians being overworked?

If we have $700 million for a stadium where the playing surface becomes a roof, surely we have the money to fix our health system...

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#175 Post by HiTouch » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:07 am

rev wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:18 am
Jaymz wrote:

Two more deaths this week because of first world problems like not having enough ambulances because they're all stuck ramped at hospitals.

A senior doctor even quit this week because he's had enough of the situation, things like chronic understaffing.

Sure our health system isn't as bad as the third world or that of war zones like Syria. But that doesn't mean we should be content with what's going on, because what's going on is simply not good enough. People should not be dying waiting for an ambulance to become available or dying in the back of an ambulance because there's no room or enough staff in our emergency departments and hospitals.

We don't accept most professions doing excessive consecutive hours between shifts, why do we expect our doctors and nurses to do massive hours? Why is it acceptable for one of our most critical sectors to be over worked?

Ever heard of a politicians office or parliament being understaffed or politicians being overworked?

If we have $700 million for a stadium where the playing surface becomes a roof, surely we have the money to fix our health system...
Our Health System is not third world, people aren't dying in the back of an ambulance. For the last time, the health system is fine and there is nothing to fix! Lobbyists and unions are stirring trouble. :wallbash:

Nort

#176 Post by Nort » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:00 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:07 am
rev wrote:
Jaymz wrote:

Our Health System is not third world, people aren't dying in the back of an ambulance. For the last time, the health system is fine and there is nothing to fix! Lobbyists and unions are stirring trouble. :wallbash:
For the last time, you stating something is a fact doesn't make it so.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#177 Post by HiTouch » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:11 pm

Nort the big liar wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:00 pm
HiTouch wrote:
rev wrote:

For the last time, you stating something is a fact doesn't make it so. I tell porkies all the time to stir negative emotions.
Well if it isnt the pot calling the kettle black

Nort

#178 Post by Nort » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:55 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:11 pm
Nort the big liar wrote:
HiTouch wrote:

For the last time, you stating something is a fact doesn't make it so. I tell porkies all the time to stir negative emotions.
Example?

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#179 Post by HiTouch » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:36 am

Nort wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:55 pm
HiTouch wrote:
Nort the big liar wrote:

Example?
I don't need or want to give you an example.

Nort

#180 Post by Nort » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:48 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:36 am
Nort wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:55 pm
HiTouch wrote:

Example?
I don't need or want to give you an example.
I'll continue to fall back on first-hand stories from people I know working in the medical sector then, despite your attempts to label them as "stirring trouble".