(VIS) Hungry Jack's Carpark

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: (VIS) Hungry Jack's Carpark

#31 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:08 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:28 am
Hudsons and Red Rooster can stay where they belong... in the suburbs.
Lol, is Hudsons even still around?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:51 pm

As much as it was a travesty the Grand Central Hotel was knocked down, it is now well and truly in the past and it's time to move on. Other than being an architectural delight, what other significance did the GCH building have?. Building a replica will just end up looking tacky.

Just like the Central Market Arcade development, this brings huge possible opportunities. As others have said it's fronting one of the busiest intersections in Adelaide, gateway to the East End, covers a huge footprint and could provide that missing link between Rundle Mall and Rundle Street. With what's planned with the Central Arcade, I actually have faith in the ACC if it does eventually come to fruition. I for one will be very glad to see that hideous carpark gone.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by baytram366 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:53 am

Very much looking forward to seeing that car park gone too but I really hope that whatever replaces it is something new and exciting for Adelaide. If it gets replaced with another car park and student apartments, I have lost all faith in the ACC. And I hope to God that once the parking structure does get pulled down, that construction gets underway right away and not left with another empty spot for years to come.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:41 pm

Rundle Lantern first started operation back in 2008. And it's too iconic to be removed.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Algernon

#35 Post by Algernon » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:03 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:41 pm
Rundle Lantern first started operation back in 2008. And it's too iconic to be removed.
No worries, nobody is out to destroy the lantern, only the crumbling 10 storey steel and concrete death trap that it's bolted to

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by Mpol02 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:30 pm

baytram366 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:53 am
Very much looking forward to seeing that car park gone too but I really hope that whatever replaces it is something new and exciting for Adelaide. If it gets replaced with another car park and student apartments, I have lost all faith in the ACC. And I hope to God that once the parking structure does get pulled down, that construction gets underway right away and not left with another empty spot for years to come.
The dream

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by Spotto » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Algernon wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:03 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:
No worries, nobody is out to destroy the lantern, only the crumbling 10 storey steel and concrete death trap that it's bolted to
Might be possible to move the lantern across the road onto the Target Centrepoint building. Or the Wilson Carpark on Hindley Street, would look pretty good there at night. There’s a good number of parking structures to choose from around the CBD.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by AG » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:22 am

I wonder if the site would be suitable for an underground bus port (with a short bus tunnel connecting to the corner of Pulteney and Grenfell Streets) to create a central location for metro buses to terminate in the city and reduce the clog of buses travelling along Currie and Grenfell Streets. Imagine it would be sort of similar to Perth Busport or Brisbane's Queen Street busway station.

bits
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by bits » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:49 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:Could be a good spot for an OTR. There aren't any servos at that end of town...
That would also lock in an inevitable new xconvenience knocking down the target building across the road.
The kids could have a fuel stop at the end of their Rundle Street car loops.
Not a single downside to this idea!

Nort

#40 Post by Nort » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:59 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:
As part of any development I'd love to see something like the Rundle Lantern kept (and even expanded, wasn't the original plan for it to cover more of the carpark until they realised there would be ventilation issues?)

Assuming the carpark does close in 2030 though, we're talking well over a decade until whatever takes its place goes up. The actual Rundle Lantern hardware will be 25 years old at that point, probably easier to build something new than try to transplant the existing parts.

Nort

#41 Post by Nort » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:03 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:14 pm
Could be a good spot for an OTR. There aren't any servos at that end of town...
I assume this is a joke (please God let it be a joke), but there is a big OTR just 800m down Pultney Street.

PeFe

#42 Post by PeFe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 pm

AG wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:22 am
I wonder if the site would be suitable for an underground bus port (with a short bus tunnel connecting to the corner of Pulteney and Grenfell Streets) to create a central location for metro buses to terminate in the city and reduce the clog of buses travelling along Currie and Grenfell Streets. Imagine it would be sort of similar to Perth Busport or Brisbane's Queen Street busway station.
God no......I couldn't think of a worse location for a busport. Adelaide doesn't need a busport, the concept of through buses works really well.
And Grenfell/Currie could easily become a transit street (with street upgrades to the mess that exists today).

And back on topic I still think the corner of Rundle and Pulteney should be home to something 3 storey and vaguely "historic" in keeping with the rest of Rundle Street. Totally wrong location for a "look at me" type building towering above the heritage.

Ozbear73
Gold-Member ;)

#43 Post by Ozbear73 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:43 pm

It’s a bit late to worry about buildings “towering over heritage” on Rundle St when right behind the Hungry Jacks Carpark you already have the Pullman at 20 storeys-ish, which would be revealed to Rundle St users in that area once the Hungrys carpark is torn down.

To say to limit this site to 3 storeys on the principle it would match buildings along Rundle street to stop a new development towering over heritage Rundle St buildings...well that ship has well and truly sailed...and in addition to the Pullman, only a short distance away now are Adelaidean and Realm and the soon to be completed 36 storey student accommodation building next to Adelaidea....yep ship well and truly sailed!

Patrick_27

#44 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:12 pm

Ozbear73 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:43 pm
It’s a bit late to worry about buildings “towering over heritage” on Rundle St when right behind the Hungry Jacks Carpark you already have the Pullman at 20 storeys-ish, which would be revealed to Rundle St users in that area once the Hungrys carpark is torn down.

To say to limit this site to 3 storeys on the principle it would match buildings along Rundle street to stop a new development towering over heritage Rundle St buildings...well that ship has well and truly sailed...and in addition to the Pullman, only a short distance away now are Adelaidean and Realm and the soon to be completed 36 storey student accommodation building next to Adelaidea....yep ship well and truly sailed!
Sorry but fuck that argument of the ship has already sailed, because I distinctly recall the argument being made when Adelaidean and Realm (among other developments) were proposed for the East End that people were harping on that these sorts of developments wouldn't get in the way of preserving the history and cultural character of the area, meanwhile the very suggestion by PeFe (which I agree with) of re-enhancing that character on this prime location is shot down with a 'well, the ship has sailed on that, sorry.' It's a completely digressive attitude and it's what's caused cities like Melbourne to be have whole blocks of their CBD and inner city suburbs have soul has been sucked out and replaced by banality much to everyone (bar the minority of apartment dwellers) distaste. If we can't think outside the box and create something that's striking but in keeping with the height and vibe of the area (rather than simply resort to another tall soulless buildings like Adelaidean) then I'd rather the site sit vacant beyond 2030 until someone has an appropriate vision.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#45 Post by rev » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:32 pm

crawf wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:51 pm
As much as it was a travesty the Grand Central Hotel was knocked down, it is now well and truly in the past and it's time to move on. Other than being an architectural delight, what other significance did the GCH building have?. Building a replica will just end up looking tacky.

Just like the Central Market Arcade development, this brings huge possible opportunities. As others have said it's fronting one of the busiest intersections in Adelaide, gateway to the East End, covers a huge footprint and could provide that missing link between Rundle Mall and Rundle Street. With what's planned with the Central Arcade, I actually have faith in the ACC if it does eventually come to fruition. I for one will be very glad to see that hideous carpark gone.
I don't think it would necessarily loom tacky if rebuilt.
Why would it automatically be tacky?
The ancient Greeks rebuilt countless temples, don't think the tens of millions of tourists who visit the Parthenon think its tacky.

But you're right when you ask what value or significance would it have.

Its not like it was destroyed by war like Dresden thus requiring it to be rebuilt to return a sense of normality.
Its not like it was a significant building of a civilisation, most South Australians wouldn't even know what it was or where it stood if you showed them a photo.
It was demolished and replaced because someome deemed it not worth keeping or restoring.

So it would just be rebuilding it for the sake of having a building with an older style of architecture.

I dont think a new tallest would suit that corner. Now a new tallest at that campus style block with like 9 low rise shitboxes on the eastern side of Hindmarsh Sq.....