[VIS] Business SA Proposed River Torrens Natural Pool

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[VIS] Business SA Proposed River Torrens Natural Pool

#1 Post by rev » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:29 am

Business SA pitches proposal to build natural pool in River Torrens to boost tourism

At the turn of the 20th century, the River Torrens was Adelaide's premier swimming venue.

The water was clear, families would go there to cool off or catch a fish for dinner and it hosted countless swimming carnivals and events.

It is a scene hard to imagine these days — swimming has been banned in the River Torrens for at least 50 years due to the polluted water.

Business SA wants to see the river returned to its former glory and has called on the next elected state government to fund a feasibility study into building a natural swimming pool adjoining the River Torrens on the edge of Elder Park.

The aim would be to restore the water quality to a standard safe for swimming, and in doing so, attract more locals and tourists to the city during warmer months.

Business SA Chief Executive Martin Haese said the natural pool proposal would boost tourism during summer, when daytime visitation drops as people flock to the beach.

"We would expect local businesses and sporting clubs utilising this scenic location to benefit from the uplift in visibility that this pool would provide," he said.

"Globally, seaside and riverside swimming pools are already popular."

Mr Haese said the closest comparable set-up is Cataract Gorge on the edge of Launceston in Tasmania.

"With treated River Torrens water naturally feeding this swimming pool, Adelaide can significantly boost its sustainable credentials by hosting a nation-first sustainable pool on the doorstep of the CBD," he said.

"A feasibility study will have to be undertaken to verify our assumptions, but the experts we have engaged to scope this proposal are optimistic that this project can be delivered safely and successfully."

"It is also important that other key stakeholders are engaged, particularly the Kaurna people for whom 'Karrawirra Parri — River Red Gum Forest' holds cultural significance."

The natural pool would be 50 metres in length and fed by a channel direct from the river with multiple layers of treatment, both natural and mechanical.

Business SA has pitched the proposal as costing $10-12 million plus an additional $250,000 per year to provide lifeguards.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/markets ... d=msedgdhp

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

[VIS] Re: Business SA Proposed River Torrens Natural Pool

#2 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:41 am

Proposals to clean up this part of the Torrens and make it suitable for swimming seem to come up every few years, but at least this one seems more plausible due to its design incorporating only a small area of the lake and treating the water first.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by gnrc_louis » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:13 pm

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Waewick » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:45 pm

It's a great idea, the Torrens should really be something you actually want to go near.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Goodsy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:21 pm

cleaning up the Torrens(and the Patawalonga foir that matter..) should be a no brainer.. Even if they don't allow swimming, it should still be clean enough to swim in

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by citywatcher » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:54 pm

Such a nostalgic vision

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Nort

#7 Post by Nort » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:06 pm

I think it would be great to have, but the location is terrible. Very exposed and no shade, unless Elder Park had structures built or a lot of trees planted.

Put it on Pinky Flat as part of the wetlands they keep talking about building.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by SRW » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:45 am

Nort wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:06 pm
I think it would be great to have, but the location is terrible. Very exposed and no shade, unless Elder Park had structures built or a lot of trees planted.

Put it on Pinky Flat as part of the wetlands they keep talking about building.
Came here to say this. Pinky Flat is the better location.

Elder Park is an event space with a potential lake stage 'Elder Jewel' in the works for this very spot.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#9 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:01 pm

Agree re: location, I would argue this is better suited near the University footbridge. That bit pf public realm seems to cater more for the family/picnic vibe. Plonking this right in the midst of Pinky Flat or Elder Park removes from the fact that these sites are predominately used to host major events.

[Shuz]

#10 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:07 pm

Pool or no pool, the smell will be a beauty.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Algernon

#11 Post by Algernon » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:25 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:07 pm
Pool or no pool, the smell will be a beauty.
This is the thing for me. I've thought about this proposal and I can see this working on a few levels. There's no net negative to the environment, it activates the waterfront, there's a possible economic benefit there (although it will probably shark a few potental customers of the AAC). But as a reasonably avid swimmer, I can't imagine what it would be like trying to suck in breaths between strokes when you're getting a nose/mouth full of that beautiful "torrens smell". I haven't lived in Adelaide for 15 years and last visited maybe 4 years ago and I still remember that stench.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by omada » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:49 am

I think the goal should be to improve the river as a whole rather than what amounts to an outdoor pool. What happened to the city beach proposal , wetlands etc Pinky Flat?

There seem to be initiatives to clean it up, but I really can't see much progress. As with any river the problem is multi-jurisdictional, as this is problematic. All I could find was this:

https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/topic ... ens%20Lake.