[CAN] 100 Grote Street | 56m | 15lvls | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#61 Post by AG » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:29 am

If it was still at the design stage, wouldn't it be a lot smarter to say nothing about it? It should still be confidential at this stage. Either way, it still shouldn't be here in these forums.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#62 Post by Pants » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:47 am

beamer85 wrote:
Pants wrote:Done, the reason for my scepticism is that there's no record of a DA having been lodged with council.

If you're not winding us up and either you or the council's made a mistake about that, then no problem.

It looks like there's been too much effort put into it to be fake, so if it's not, sorry we doubted you.

As for input on design, I'd just repeat what everyone else has said. It looks like an unremarkable 80's office tower, mostly because of the half-octagon shape of the three sections of the Grote Street facade. The facade lines should be cleaner IMO. Also, the glass is great but needs to be broken up a bit. Basically, it just doesn't look like a hotel, which should be inviting.
If the building is still in the design stage why would they have even lodged a d/a yet?
Done's first post in this thread said that an application was lodged with the ACC that day.

Done
Gold-Member ;)

[CAN]

#63 Post by Done » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:05 pm

*Edit
Last edited by Done on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN]

#64 Post by Adelarch » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:09 pm

Done, what info is in the title block? - can't quite make it out from your pics. It should contain details on both the architect and the client

Pistol
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#65 Post by Pistol » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:36 am

I apologise for doubting you Done.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#66 Post by Will » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:51 am

Room with a pew

RENATO CASTELLO

March 04, 2007 12:15am

Article from:
Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
PLANS for a $20 million four-star hotel in the city's West End have prompted fresh concerns that Adelaide could face a glut of hotel rooms.
An Adelaide investment consortium has lodged plans with Adelaide City Council for a 14-storey hotel in Grote St next to the Franklin St Bus Station.
The 207-room hotel, rumoured to be connected to the international Sheraton hotel group, will be 56m tall.
It will be built on the back of the existing 82-year-old Church of Christ building, which will become a restaurant and bar.
It comes just a month after the Sunday Mail revealed the Westpac bank building on the corner of North Tce and King William St will become a four-star, 121-room Seasons of Adelaide hotel.
SA Tourism Alliance president Les Penley said any new hotels must be "approached with caution".
"You don't see too many existing hotel operators in this state clambering to build more rooms because they know it is a delicate balance," he said.
"There must be an appropriate balance of all styles of rooms otherwise hotels slash prices and room yields will decline.
"I think we have got the balance right at the moment."
He said the industry had experienced "stellar performances" in the past 12 months with 2006 a record year thanks to a busy March and the Australian Tourism Exchange in June.
"But this must not be seen as the benchmark upon which new properties are built," Mr Penley said.
His comments come as latest figures released by the Australian Hotels Association reveal that major events had boosted occupancy rates by six per cent in the past 12 months.
Occupancy rates for 2006 averaged 79 per cent, up from 72.63 in 2005.
AHA accommodation division manager Hamish Arthur predicted hotels would be running at about 90 per cent capacity this month with the Clipsal, Fringe and World Police and Fire Games.
But he said the figures needed to be kept in perspective.
"It was only 18 months ago that occupancy for the month of June was just 58.52 per cent, which is extremely low for accommodation properties," he said.
"In 2007 it's going to be tough for Adelaide's hotel accommodation market to be as strong as it was last year."
A spokesman behind the latest venture said a "number of parties" were interested in operating the hotel.
He said Adelaide's CBD population was growing and the impending resources boom meant there was a need for more accommodation.
"We have confidence in Adelaide and there is a shortage of good quality accommodation," he said.
"We want to retain the church and merge the old with the new as is done a lot in New

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN]

#67 Post by crawf » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:24 am

The 207-room hotel, rumoured to be connected to the international Sheraton hotel group, will be 56m tall.
Sounds like the Sunday Mail has been visiting S-A :wink:

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#68 Post by Pants » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:15 am

Nice scoop afterall Done, sorry for doubting you.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#69 Post by Howie » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:47 am

You've outdone yourself! :) Nice work mate. Outstanding scoop.

MaximumForce
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN]

#70 Post by MaximumForce » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:01 am

Done, I was just about to link to the Advertiser article when I noticed that Will had already beat me to it.

I think there was a bit of suspicion due to the hoaxes we've seen in the past, and people look for ways to verify e.g. DA# mentions on the developers website etc.

I didn't doubt you though :) You are now a highly valued and trusted source of information.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#71 Post by Al » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:40 am

Good one. You were right on the money, Done. Thanks for sharing this info with us.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[CAN]

#72 Post by Ho Really » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:22 am

Pistol78, Will, do you guys sleep?

Cheers

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[CAN]

#73 Post by Ho Really » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:42 am

Good onya Done.

First of all, good luck on this project. If your relations (the developer) and the architects decide to go with the glass facades, please encourage them to buy and employ locally. Check out the Flinders Link development (IAG, Santos) and the up-and-coming SA Water as examples. City Central One's (ANZ) exterior is a Victorian job and so is the Commonwealth Law Courts.

As for input on the exterior looks, a few here have already said it may need a little less glass to make it fit in better with the church and its environs. That's a reasonable suggestion. Looking at the artist's impression there are no balconies, I am guessing it's a feature not required due to a high Greenstar rating.

Cheers

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN]

#74 Post by Will » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:11 pm

Ho Really wrote:Pistol78, Will, do you guys sleep?

Cheers
Last night was the first time I had come to this forum at that hour. 8)

Pistol
Legendary Member!

[CAN]

#75 Post by Pistol » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:47 am

Sleep is overrated :D