News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
CharlSx
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2491 Post by CharlSx » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:44 am

Wasn't sure where to ask the question so will put it here. Are the windows on the Myer Centre that face north and north west real windows? I was looking up at them on the weekend and it occurred to me there's no windows inside Myer.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2492 Post by SRW » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:26 am

CharlSx wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:44 am
Wasn't sure where to ask the question so will put it here. Are the windows on the Myer Centre that face north and north west real windows? I was looking up at them on the weekend and it occurred to me there's no windows inside Myer.
Mostly, yes. Goldsbrough and Shell House actually still have leasable levels accessed from their beautiful lobbies and heritage lift. The other levels are Myer's back of house (I used to work there years ago and its mostly stock but also offices for management). The Verco and Liberal Club buildings (the two closest to Stephen's Place, north/north-east) are mostly shells though. There's a former VIP/customer lounge that has windows in the Liberal Club Building (the one with the balconies), but the Verco building was gutted for the carpark and lifts.
Keep Adelaide Weird

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#2493 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:20 pm

Wakefield Hospital site to be transformed into medical precinct in $100m plan
Giuseppe Tauriello, The Advertiser
September 21, 2020 3:12pm
Subscriber only

The former Wakefield Hospital in the CBD will be transformed into a new state-of-the-art health precinct as part of a $100m plan to breathe new life into the site.

Developer Pelligra, run by Melbourne property mogul Ross Pelligra, has paid $30m for the 9000sq m site and will invest a further $70m in a major redevelopment.

Work will begin early in the new year and will include an extensive refurbishment of existing facilities, new fit-outs for incoming tenants and the development of a new building on an adjacent carpark on Ifould St.

Mr Pelligra said medical and health service providers would be lured to the site, which could potentially include aged-care facilities and a day surgery.

“Pelligra Group acknowledges that the Wakefield Hospital site holds a significant amount of history for many South Australians,” he said.

“While many developers would demolish and redevelop the multifaceted site to accommodate a high-density residential asset, this is certainly not our intention at Pelligra.

“Pelligra sees great value in the existing medical infrastructure and will be investing substantial capital to transform the site into a state-of-the-art health and wellness precinct in line with its historical use.”

The 115-year-old hospital closed at the start of the year when operator Calvary relocated to its new $345m, 344-bed facility on Angas Street.

It has since been transformed into a dedicated COVID-19 response facility as part of the State Government’s response to the pandemic.

The State Government’s lease is due to expire at the end of the year.

In addition to the main hospital site, bordered by Hutt, Wakefield, Ifould and Daly streets, Pelligra’s acquisition includes a carpark on Ifould St and a bluestone villa on Flinders St.

It follows a series of major investments made by the group in South Australia in recent years, starting with the $55m purchase of the former Holden factory at Elizabeth in 2017.

The developer is spending $250m to turn the site into a major business park in the northern suburbs, while it is also refurbishing a heritage office building on Pirie St in the CBD and partnered with local entrepreneur Mark Sellar to build 69 homes at Largs North.

Mr Pelligra said the company was seeking to expand its presence in South Australia, and specifically, tap into the state’s growing health services industry.

“The past five years have seen a rapid rise in excellent healthcare services and facilities becoming available in South Australia, and moving forward Pelligra wants to be an integral part of that industry growth,” he said.

“There is a sense of expectation with this project and Pelligra are working hard to ensure that we deliver a world-class site.”

International property groups JLL and CBRE have been engaged to secure tenants for the project, with parts of the facility expected to open early next year.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2494 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:02 pm

I was sort of hopeful to see a residential redevelopment there but that would be unlikely under current circumstances. Renewing it as an employment hub is still a very good outcome. I hope they're successful in attracting enough tenants to fill a very large space.
Keep Adelaide Weird

brizzlar
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2495 Post by brizzlar » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:38 am

G'day all,

I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to the 60 story skyscraper proposal back in 2017?

The Advertiser wrote this headline in 2017: 'JWDT website proposes 60-storey tower in Adelaide CBD'

I emailed council and they said it didn't get past initial talks with the Government etc. But they wouldn't go into detail. I'm curious to know if CASA said no way or if it was for another reason?

I know that most of the CBD have the 134m limit due to the airport, but my understanding is that there are a few parts that are technically cleared for much higher limits.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2496 Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:50 am

brizzlar wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:38 am
G'day all,

I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to the 60 story skyscraper proposal back in 2017?

The Advertiser wrote this headline in 2017: 'JWDT website proposes 60-storey tower in Adelaide CBD'

I emailed council and they said it didn't get past initial talks with the Government etc. But they wouldn't go into detail. I'm curious to know if CASA said no way or if it was for another reason?

I know that most of the CBD have the 134m limit due to the airport, but my understanding is that there are a few parts that are technically cleared for much higher limits.
The thread you're looking for.

Nort

#2497 Post by Nort » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:27 am

CDJ kept on dropping hints that it was still being worked on, but given the years since we heard anything and the fact that the companies website is dead I think it's safe to say it's never gonna happen. Would still love to see what the plans were though.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#2498 Post by Joelmark » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:10 am

Wasn’t sure where else to post this. Quite a good article on SCAP in InDaily: https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2020/ ... ning-body/

Patrick_27

#2499 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:03 pm

Sitting at Victoria Square today I realised that the ANZ building on Waymouth Street either needs a really thorough window clean or the stainless steel rim work is bleeding all over the windows, either way, it looks horrible...

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2500 Post by wilkiebarkid » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:26 pm

I discovered a render of a 40 storey mixed use building for Pirie Street that belongs to the Anthony Donato Architecture website. Unfortunately I can't access the website because my security settings claim that it is unsafe at present. The render could only be for the corner of Frome Street where the beach volleyball site is for sale.

This is the picture, albeit the link picture.

This looks fantastic. I wonder if it is recent and whether there will be news to come.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#2501 Post by Mpol02 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:58 am

Is this the same site CDB was apart of?

Patrick_27

#2502 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:05 pm

Backpackers hostel on the corner of Wakefield and Pulteney Street(s) is up for sale, never thought COVID would bring about some positive change to the city.

[Shuz]

#2503 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:46 pm

Could that be the "Dominator 1" proposal?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2504 Post by wilkiebarkid » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:44 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:46 pm
Could that be the "Dominator 1" proposal?
That was for corner of Pulteney and Flinders. The description definitely said Pirie Street, and looking at the road intersecting it, it could only be Frome.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#2505 Post by NTRabbit » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:03 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:05 pm
Backpackers hostel on the corner of Wakefield and Pulteney Street(s) is up for sale, never thought COVID would bring about some positive change to the city.
What's wrong with backpacker hostels? A city needs more than just 3 to 5 star hotels for tourism.