[U/C] Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Post Reply
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by Patrick_27 »

Shahkar wrote:
ml69 wrote:The existing barren Festival Plaza area is planned to be reborn as Festival Square in the Riverbank master plan, with activated plaza level provided by restaurants and cafes. A commercial building is planned for the casino side of the plaza.
The master plan is due mid-year by Walker Corp.
I hate to preach negativity, but if Labor don't get their crap together and move ahead with this Riverbank Precinct proposal in the coming months, and they get voted out in March, 2014. We may face a Liberal quick fix to this existing eyesore. If the government can spend billions on a hospital, and hundreds of millions elsewhere on education, I think they can dish out a neat sum for the arts and tourism; considering the arts are well under-funded, and tourism is one of our main economic cash-cows. This project is just as important as Health and Education, and I'll be damned if people start to throw fire at the government for funding this project generously.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 7044
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by Ben »

Wonder if these 2 applications today signal something is about to happen?
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/399/2013
Lodgement Date: 22/05/2013
Location: ADELAIDE FESTIVAL CENTRE, King William Road, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Attach temporary signage to fencing advertising events at Adelaide Festival Centre for a period of 5 years.
Type: Section 49 Application Received
Application Number: S49/11/2013
Lodgement Date: 22/05/2013
Location: ADELAIDE FESTIVAL CENTRE, King William Road, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Remove regulated tree - lemon scented gum (corymbia citriodora)
User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Contact:

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by monotonehell »

Ben wrote:Wonder if these 2 applications today signal something is about to happen?
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/399/2013
Lodgement Date: 22/05/2013
Location: ADELAIDE FESTIVAL CENTRE, King William Road, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Attach temporary signage to fencing advertising events at Adelaide Festival Centre for a period of 5 years.
Type: Section 49 Application Received
Application Number: S49/11/2013
Lodgement Date: 22/05/2013
Location: ADELAIDE FESTIVAL CENTRE, King William Road, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Remove regulated tree - lemon scented gum (corymbia citriodora)
I would say not. A temp sign for five years and remove one tree? Sounds like business as usual.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3553
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by Waewick »

monotonehell wrote:
Ben wrote:Wonder if these 2 applications today signal something is about to happen?
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/399/2013
Lodgement Date: 22/05/2013
Location: ADELAIDE FESTIVAL CENTRE, King William Road, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Attach temporary signage to fencing advertising events at Adelaide Festival Centre for a period of 5 years.
Type: Section 49 Application Received
Application Number: S49/11/2013
Lodgement Date: 22/05/2013
Location: ADELAIDE FESTIVAL CENTRE, King William Road, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Remove regulated tree - lemon scented gum (corymbia citriodora)
I would say not. A temp sign for five years and remove one tree? Sounds like business as usual.
:hilarious:
Shahkar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:22 am
Location: Adelaide CBD

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by Shahkar »

I wonder if they plan to release some good news on the day of it's 40th anniversary.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by pushbutton »

Temporary signage, for 5 years?

Sounds fairly permanent to me!
User avatar
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5138
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm
Location: Torrens Park

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by Wayno »

Shahkar wrote:I wonder if they plan to release some good news on the day of it's 40th anniversary.
Heard on the radio this morning. Weatherill has gifted $9m towards the redevelopment.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3299
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Contact:

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by Nathan »

Wayno wrote:
Shahkar wrote:I wonder if they plan to release some good news on the day of it's 40th anniversary.
Heard on the radio this morning. Weatherill has gifted $9m towards the redevelopment.
$9m? That's not going to go very far.
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4704
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by rev »

Patrick_27 wrote:
Shahkar wrote:
ml69 wrote:The existing barren Festival Plaza area is planned to be reborn as Festival Square in the Riverbank master plan, with activated plaza level provided by restaurants and cafes. A commercial building is planned for the casino side of the plaza.
The master plan is due mid-year by Walker Corp.
I hate to preach negativity, but if Labor don't get their crap together and move ahead with this Riverbank Precinct proposal in the coming months, and they get voted out in March, 2014. We may face a Liberal quick fix to this existing eyesore. If the government can spend billions on a hospital, and hundreds of millions elsewhere on education, I think they can dish out a neat sum for the arts and tourism; considering the arts are well under-funded, and tourism is one of our main economic cash-cows. This project is just as important as Health and Education, and I'll be damned if people start to throw fire at the government for funding this project generously.
Hospitals and education are far more important, and benefit a greater section of the population.
So no, just because they are spending massive amounts on those two things, doesn't mean they are obligated to spend a massive amount on the arts.
The arts does not benefit everyone. Not everyone cares about the arts. Not everyone attends arts events.

Everyone has a need for better health care and better education however.

Not that I'm against better funding for the arts, but to say that it is just as important as Health and Education is wrong on so many levels.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3553
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by Waewick »

rev wrote: Everyone has a need for better health care and better education however.

Not that I'm against better funding for the arts, but to say that it is just as important as Health and Education is wrong on so many levels.
No they don't.

Better health and eduction funding is generally aimed a certain segment or segments of the community.

for instance, a person with private health (lots of people) and children in Private School (lots of people) have no interest in improving health or education in the public sector given they more than likely are happy with what they get.

all funding focuses on segments, nothing is over arching any more.
build 'em smarter
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:06 pm

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by build 'em smarter »

Waewick wrote:
rev wrote: Everyone has a need for better health care and better education however.

Not that I'm against better funding for the arts, but to say that it is just as important as Health and Education is wrong on so many levels.
No they don't.

Better health and eduction funding is generally aimed a certain segment or segments of the community.

for instance, a person with private health (lots of people) and children in Private School (lots of people) have no interest in improving health or education in the public sector given they more than likely are happy with what they get.

all funding focuses on segments, nothing is over arching any more.
WOW! Elitist much?

You do know that even Private Schools receive government funding.... don't you?

I'm sure you still have a need for a medicare card even though you have Private health cover.

If better health care and education can be had for free, then the private sector will be forced to improve their facilities/service also to be competitive, so even those with Private education and private healthcare will benefit from government funding.

For the record, I attended private school and have private health cover, and think your argument is complete nonsense.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3553
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by Waewick »

build 'em smarter wrote:
Waewick wrote:
rev wrote: Everyone has a need for better health care and better education however.

Not that I'm against better funding for the arts, but to say that it is just as important as Health and Education is wrong on so many levels.
No they don't.

Better health and eduction funding is generally aimed a certain segment or segments of the community.

for instance, a person with private health (lots of people) and children in Private School (lots of people) have no interest in improving health or education in the public sector given they more than likely are happy with what they get.

all funding focuses on segments, nothing is over arching any more.
WOW! Elitist much?

You do know that even Private Schools receive government funding.... don't you?

I'm sure you still have a need for a medicare card even though you have Private health cover.

If better health care and education can be had for free, then the private sector will be forced to improve their facilities/service also to be competitive, so even those with Private education and private healthcare will benefit from government funding.

For the record, I attended private school and have private health cover, and think your argument is complete nonsense.
not elitist at all, I'm being realistic and I think you may simply be getting emotional.

You appear assume the greater good argument wins all the time, simply put it doesn’t.

Private schools do get public funding, which benefits the government, but these schools are likely to be impacted by the Gonski review (so there is a few hundred thousand people not wanting public education changes)

If someone doesn’t see a direct benefit to themselves their interest is going to decline. So an increase in public health and in public education isn’t going to impact everyone the same.

Put it simply, I’m not having an argument with you, I’m making an observation. Sure someone like you who likes to think they have a social conscience is going to back ideas that help the wider community, but I can’t honestly think of 1 person that I know who gives two shits about things like the Gonski review.

Also, Private schools don’t compete with public schools, they compete with each other. An improvement in public schools isn’t going to impact the level of education provided by Private schools (that really isn’t the point anyway).

and yes, I do get benefits from Medicare, that is visiting the doctor , but that isn’t going to change any time soon anyway.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but where I live the public and private schools are already good enough so I don't care about any changes either because the most likely outcome is my services get worse.

I'm also more than happy with my level of health care, so I'm not too interest in that side of things either, especially if it is going to cost me more.
ml69
Legendary Member!
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Adelaide SA

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by ml69 »

Forum topic is going off tangent. This is the Festival Theatre forum.
User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3299
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Contact:

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by Nathan »

Anyways, turns out it wasn't $9m, but $6m. Which is hardly going to make a dent in what needs fixing let alone upgrades.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide

[U/C] Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

Post by pushbutton »

That's just basic maintenance! Don't they get an annual budget for that?
Post Reply