[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: ONH: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | 20m | 6lvls | Mixed

#856 Post by JAKJ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:16 am

pushbutton wrote:It's got beyond a joke with that site. I pretty much agree with what was suggested in the Advertiser.

The site has become significant to Adelaide in its current state and should be preserved and heritage listed. It's a monument to the great Adelaide tradition of missed opportunities.

They should install a sign at the front of it with details of all the various proposals that have been knocked back over the years.
Unfortunately this does not reflect the truth. Developers have had more proposals approved than knocked back (particularly in recent years), it is the developers that are holding back development of the site and somehow still shifting the blame to a nebulous group of North Adelaidians, that are neither representative of the local population, or more importantly actually have any say in the matter!

It's interesting (but not surprising) from the comments on The Advertiser that people don't actually read the contents of the article which (ignoring a bit of sensationalism) effectively outlines what I have said above and seem to instead believe that the North Adelaide Society is singlehandedly blocking all developments to the site.

It seems like the readership of the Advertiser are more interested in seeing their comments posted on a website then actually reading and analysing the facts.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#857 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:33 am

I think people are forgetting the underlying power that some North Adelaide residents carry.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#858 Post by rev » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:47 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:I think people are forgetting the underlying power that some North Adelaide residents carry.
Exactly.
How else do people like Anne Moran keep getting elected? She looks after those with a similar mindset to her own. It's these people who take the time to vote in the non-compulsory voting in Council Elections.

Now if the residents who aren't opposed to everything and want progress and development started to vote, maybe, just maybe, we would see a change in the council.
We can complain all we want.
But it's up to those who live in the area to vote these nimby naysayers stuck in the 18th century out of Council.

More on topic, people keep saying most proposals have been approved for this site.

Is anyone able to compile a list of proposals for this site, the year they were proposed, and whether council approved or rejected the proposal?
Because it's popular belief among many people(I read SSC and even Melbournians have this opinion) that council has rejected all proposals.

If we can get the facts right then...

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#859 Post by JAKJ » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:59 pm

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2007-05-0 ... ct/2536960

That's 7 years ago now. Anything past this date the council has not had a say. The State government also provided final approval for the submitted proposal in 2008, 6 years ago. It is also worth noting that while there was opposition from a few members of the council before major project status was awarded, Makris never actually submitted a proposal for approval.

So in summary, Makris has never had a proposal for the site knocked back, the ACC is not involved in the decision making and what has been proposed to the State Government after major project status was granted has been approved.

Complaining about the North Adelaide society or even the ACC in respect to the Lecornu site is completely pointless and only serves to highlight the ignorance of the Advertiser's readers and lets the developer off the hook for leaving such a public site empty for so long.

rev

#860 Post by rev » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:23 pm

You posted ABC as your source, and your source, the ABC, says this...
The State Government say it has done what previous city councils failed to do in granting the Makris design major project status.
So what is it the council failed to do, if no proposals were ever submitted?
What is all the contention and angst between the two parties about then?
If the developer hasn't had any plans to develop the site, what's his problem with the council?

2007 was when the previous proposal was made. In 2008 the GFC hit which was blamed for the proposal falling through. Couldn't get financing or something as a result.
from earlier on in this thread..

So we have

2014 proposal..yet to be submitted apparently.
2007 proposal given major project status by State gov. Rejected initially by council hence government intervention?

Anyone else got any more to add?
Because these are all I know of.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#861 Post by JAKJ » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:17 pm

No proposal was ever officially lodged with the council.

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/fina ... 5748387842

Also, as I stated before, from 2007 onwards the council has not had any decision making power over the site, so any opposition from the council is irrelevant, and any comments complaining about the council or the North Adelaide residents blocking development are irrelevant also, it doesn't get much clearer than that!

rev

#862 Post by rev » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:50 pm

JAKJ wrote: it doesn't get much clearer than that!
Oh really?

And this is what I asked...
Is anyone able to compile a list of proposals for this site, the year they were proposed, and whether council approved or rejected the proposal?
It couldn't have been put any clearer.
You didn't have to give us a pointless rant and bury some of the information in the middle.

You sound like one of our infamous councilors or a North Adelaide resident who whinges about concerts in the parklands.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#863 Post by JAKJ » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:09 pm

rev wrote:
JAKJ wrote: it doesn't get much clearer than that!
Oh really?

And this is what I asked...
It couldn't have been put any clearer.
You didn't have to give us a pointless rant and bury some of the information in the middle.

You sound like one of our infamous councilors or a North Adelaide resident who whinges about concerts in the parklands.
At what point did I say I was against the development? I am actually for the development but I think that blaming the ACC or the North Adelaide Society (who I am not a big fan of) is a waste of time and skirting the real issue (that they have nothing to do with holding up the development). It would be great to get this developed, just sick of the typical crap put out by the Advertiser and how easily people seem to believe it without checking the facts.

[Shuz]

#864 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:35 am

Need to change thread title to reflect new proposal - PRO: LeCornu Redevelopment | Mixed-Use
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | Mixed Use

#865 Post by MessiahAndrw » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:20 am

You can do a lot for $200 million. Why do we want something that's coloured like baby poo and looks like it was designed by a 1970s modernist architect that just graduated? Whatever happened to wanting to leave your mark with timeless beauty instead?
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#866 Post by pushbutton » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:21 am

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The building in that Wikipedia article looks dull and ugly to me.

Nathan

#867 Post by Nathan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:10 am

MessiahAndrw wrote:You can do a lot for $200 million. Why do we want something that's coloured like baby poo and looks like it was designed by a 1970s modernist architect that just graduated? Whatever happened to wanting to leave your mark with timeless beauty instead?
Because building something like that would just be a historical pastiche, that would undermine the true heritage buildings in North Adelaide.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#868 Post by MessiahAndrw » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:29 am

Nathan wrote:Because building something like that would just be a historical pastiche, that would undermine the true heritage buildings in North Adelaide.
Yet, what they propose is a historical pastiche to the modernist movement of the 1970s.

Everything we build today, one day will be considered heritage, so wouldn't he want to leave his mark on the city by building something worthwhile that future generations will appreciate and want to protect?
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

Nathan

#869 Post by Nathan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Yeah... the proposal isn't really 70s late modernism...

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#870 Post by Ben » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:38 am

Plans are on public consultation for just over a week until May 1

http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/publications