[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | Mixed Use

#1096 Post by claybro » Wed May 26, 2021 4:26 pm

“I have been threatened with either fines or some other punishment for speaking publicly,” said Cr Martin.

Cr Moran said she also had been told not to speak publicly about the project.

“I have been gagged so I will not be saying anything publicly,” she said.
[/quote]

Moran has been gagged from speaking publicly? Now there's a positive development!!!

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#1097 Post by A-Town » Wed May 26, 2021 6:57 pm

O'Connell St will benefit so much if this ends up being built and we eventually have trams running up and down the street.

EBG

#1098 Post by EBG » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:36 am

there is an enormous single story temporary building on site as of at least last Sunday picture later.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1099 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:30 am

EBG wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:36 am
there is an enormous single story temporary building on site as of at least last Sunday picture later.
That's for the Van Gough exhibition as part of the Illuminate Adelaide fesitval

RoiMartel
Gold-Member ;)

#1100 Post by RoiMartel » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:13 am

From the developers;

"If you drive along O’Connell Street now, you will see that action is already happening on site.
Construction is underway on the Eighty Eight O’Connell Display Suite ahead of its opening in September. Building work for the main development is anticipated to commence in the first quarter of next year, with completion currently scheduled for late 2024."

https://88oconnell.com/

PeFe

#1101 Post by PeFe » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:43 pm

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#1102 Post by JAKJ » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:56 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Development at the site is good but the scale is inappropriate. Apart from the North Adelaide village across the road once these towers are built there is no opportunity to build anything even approaching their height in the vicinity. Like it or not North Adelaide is a predominantly heritage area and these towers will absolutely dwarf even the Brougham Place developments.

Having said that, now that it's done what's critical is the offset and the staggered podium. How that is handled will make or break this project (e.g. something of true quality or another cheap as crap gold coast style apartment tower).

North Adelaide is not Surfers and will never be Surfers. Taller buildings with larger footprints are not always better, there needs to be some consideration of where they are located and things such as public transport linkage (no sign of the tram until they sort out the King William Street bridge mess and there is a change in political climate).

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#1103 Post by cmet » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:11 pm

Overdue. If they could get the tram down here next North Adelaide will be a completely different place in a few years

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#1104 Post by ozisnowman » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:49 pm

JAKJ wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:56 pm
I'm not sure how I feel about this. Development at the site is good but the scale is inappropriate. Apart from the North Adelaide village across the road once these towers are built there is no opportunity to build anything even approaching their height in the vicinity. Like it or not North Adelaide is a predominantly heritage area and these towers will absolutely dwarf even the Brougham Place developments.

Having said that, now that it's done what's critical is the offset and the staggered podium. How that is handled will make or break this project (e.g. something of true quality or another cheap as crap gold coast style apartment tower).

North Adelaide is not Surfers and will never be Surfers. Taller buildings with larger footprints are not always better, there needs to be some consideration of where they are located and things such as public transport linkage (no sign of the tram until they sort out the King William Street bridge mess and there is a change in political climate).
Problem we have is North Adelaide was envisaged by Colonel William Light as part of the City of Adelaide not an off-shoot residential village.
Yes i understand their is heritage problem is heritage should be based on historical importance as well as architectural importance just because something is old should not make it heritage. What if the Melbourne City Council was so heritage minded and influenced by NIMBY's as they are in Adelaide - what would Melbourne look like today.

North Adelaide should start to be considered part of the Adelaide CBD just like North Sydney or South Bank - and yes buildings of significance should be protected but not everything.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#1105 Post by JAKJ » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:30 pm

Comparison to the CBD of a major city is not fair. Adelaide has plenty of space on the CBD fringe to expand high rise residential and commercial (Bowden, West End and Coca Cola for example) which have much better transport connections and similar proximity. There is currently no competitive demand and unlikely to be so in the near future to tear down one of Australia's most beautiful historic residential suburbs for development purposes. It doesn't make sense and it won't happen. This project will sit here in isolation apart from if anything is developed across the road at the North Adelaide village site. At present there is inadequate public transport and/ or parking and this is unlikely to be improved in the near future.

Nathan

#1106 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:54 pm

JAKJ wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:30 pm
At present there is inadequate public transport and/ or parking and this is unlikely to be improved in the near future.
I can't say I've ever had an issue with parking in North Adelaide. The North Adelaide Village normally has plenty of parks, and if not, there's plenty along the likes of Tynte St and Childers St/Barton Tce.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

#1107 Post by how good is he » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:32 pm

I am neither for nor against this development so I make this comment from a neutral position.
What I find extraordinary is the actual planning process.
Council I thought bought the site [you would think] to effectively control the outcome [and the height limit], then held consultation to deliver guidelines for an 8 storey height limit.
So how, when and why did it magically change to 15 storeys?
I mean if other developers had submitted offers based on this 8 storey height limit/guidelines [and offered less] how would they feel?
Last edited by how good is he on Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1108 Post by how good is he » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:32 pm

Ps would they potentially have a legal claim against council?

Nathan

#1109 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:16 pm

The last Makris proposal also had a 15 storey hotel component, and that was approved, so not sure anyone is getting hard done by.

Algernon

#1110 Post by Algernon » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:30 pm

Someone who responds to this saying we need to argue about it a bit more and wait is not "part of" adelaide's problem, they're the problem.