[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | Mixed Use

#1081 Post by SRW » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:30 pm

Eighty Eight O'Connell - Information Sessions: Council will be holding two information sessions on 17 & 20 February where community will have the opportunity to be updated by Commercial & General about the development, intended timelines and next steps for Eighty Eight O'Connell. Due to COVID-19 requirements, bookings are essential. Click here to register to attend.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1082 Post by Ben » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:30 pm

Plans are on SCAP public notification:

https://plan.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... ell_St.pdf

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1083 Post by Algernon » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:53 pm

I accidentally clicked on first page of thread and realised I posted in it 16 years ago :lol:

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#1084 Post by ginzahikari » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:06 pm

Ben wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:30 pm
Plans are on SCAP public notification:

https://plan.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... ell_St.pdf
Idk if other mixed use developments are structured like this, but I think the segregation between public and private facilities in this one is very dodgy. The public lifts are right next to the residential flats so accessing the terrace and other facilities doesn't seem that welcoming? Also what's this 'public interaction zone' thing? I'm not against this development, but the public aspect of this could definitely be done better.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#1085 Post by ozisnowman » Mon May 24, 2021 4:35 pm

obituary resider wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:04 pm
This will be worth the wait. Excpetionally high quality proposal that I am hopefull will really raise the bar for multi-storey residential projects in Adelaide. Once everything is signed it should progress relatively quickly as well.
Not if the small group of North Adelaide NIMBY's have their say. Its time the Government and the DAP tell these NIMBY's to put up and shut up or if they are not happy sell up and move to the country.

You want to live in the CBD but want a VILLAGE atmosphere - only in ADELAIDE.

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#1086 Post by d3v310per » Mon May 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Article from AdelaideNow this afternoon...

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... de980cf468

North Adelaide residents mobilise against $250m redevelopment of former Le Cornu site

North Adelaide residents belatedly are mobilising against the $250m redevelopment of the former Le Cornu site on O’Connell Street.

Almost 180 people have attended a meeting as part of a campaign to lobby against the proposed construction of three apartment towers on the former Le Cornu site at North Adelaide.

Its organisers have urged residents to lodge objections with the State Commission Assessment Panel (SCAP), which will soon meet to discuss an application for planning approval.

Addressing the meeting, heritage campaigner Professor Warren Jones said residents must fight against the height of the three towers, one of which will be 15 storeys while the other two will be 13 levels.

Professor Jones said the $250m project – a joint venture between Adelaide City Council and property developer Commercial & General announced last December – was a “massive overkill”.

“This is not just a NIMBY issue,” he said.

“It is much wider. There is no doubt that what is going to happen here affects all of South Australia in reality and symbolism. It is very important we address these terrible problems which may or may not occur.”

Professor Jones said opposition to the project should not be aimed at stopping it. He suggested the focus instead should be on having the apartment blocks reduced in height.

“It is about getting it down to eight storeys,” he said.

Town planner Geoffrey Walker told the meeting he had made a submission to SCAP objecting to the proposed height of the three towers.

Mr Walker said the building would create “unacceptable levels” of overshadowing, especially between March and September.

“Personally, I think this is unacceptable,” he said.

Mr Walker said the design of the development was at odds with the heritage character of North Adelaide.

“This area has one of the highest concentrations of heritage places in Australia,” he said.

“I have been told that a real estate agent already has told one property owner that the value of their property has gone down by $200,000 since this project was announced.”

Mr Walker said residents had “reached the point of no return”.

He urged them to sign a petition circulating within North Adelaide and to write to Premier Steven Marshall, Planning Minister Vickie Chapman, Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor and Liberal MP for Adelaide Rachel Sanderson.

North Adelaide Society founder Elbert Brooks said the development was the “worse monolithic proposal in the 30 years we have been dealing with the former Le Cornu site”.

Two Adelaide City councillors, Phillip Martin and Anne Moran, told the meeting they had been gagged from publicly speaking about the project.

The pair are bound by a confidential agreement signed between the council and Commercial & General.

“I have been threatened with either fines or some other punishment for speaking publicly,” said Cr Martin.

Cr Moran said she also had been told not to speak publicly about the project.

“I have been gagged so I will not be saying anything publicly,” she said.

Algernon

#1087 Post by Algernon » Mon May 24, 2021 5:27 pm

d3v310per wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:53 pm

“It is much wider. There is no doubt that what is going to happen here affects all of South Australia in reality and symbolism. It is very important we address these terrible problems which may or may not occur.”
They should take this one to the hague because clearly it's a world issue

Patrick_27

#1088 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon May 24, 2021 5:39 pm

Whether or not he presents a good argument for bringing the height of the three buildings down to eight storeys, the fact is, the nearby residents expected to campaign against this development with him will want to see it scrapped all together. It astounds me the privilege of the North Adelaide residents... They want to see the council put more effort into helping their local area flourish and do better, meanwhile stand in the way of any actions that might bring about improvement to the area.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#1089 Post by Mpol02 » Mon May 24, 2021 6:32 pm

This is so appalling.
This development will really bring a life back to Borth Adl. O’Connell is just empty these days. The most happening place is a bakery. That should tell you something. Can the SA government sue them at all?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1090 Post by Spotto » Mon May 24, 2021 8:12 pm

180 vocal opposers out of around a total 7,000 people living in North Adelaide. 2% but “not just a NIMBY issue”...

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1091 Post by SRW » Mon May 24, 2021 10:00 pm

d3v310per wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:53 pm
Article from AdelaideNow this afternoon...

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... de980cf468

“I have been told that a real estate agent already has told one property owner that the value of their property has gone down by $200,000 since this project was announced.”
Prove it.
Keep Adelaide Weird

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#1092 Post by citywatcher » Mon May 24, 2021 10:28 pm

I'll buy it off them then

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1093 Post by rev » Tue May 25, 2021 7:01 pm

Poor council, now they can deal with the short sighted self interest nimbys they helped create by giving them the time of day nearly every time a development has been proposed.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#1094 Post by Jaymz » Tue May 25, 2021 7:50 pm

.....I'm sure Con Makris is now kicking back in his Gold Coast penthouse laughing his head off. All the while getting approval to build heaps of them.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#1095 Post by cmet » Tue May 25, 2021 8:50 pm

Just start building it honestly, the area is dead and this is obviously a good thing