[COM] Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

#406 Post by rev » Mon May 18, 2020 10:39 am

Coles Arndales is a shit hole, from the store it self to the staff to management.
Hopefully Romeos not only renovate it but "refit" the staff as well.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#407 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed May 27, 2020 2:27 pm

Coles will have its last day of trading on 31 May.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev

#408 Post by rev » Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:27 pm
Coles will have its last day of trading on 31 May.
Couldn't come soon enough.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#409 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu May 28, 2020 3:40 pm

oh yeah that is the worst Coles in Adelaide
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#410 Post by Ben » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:42 pm

Got an email today that the greater union cinema is closing 31 August.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#411 Post by Howie » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:46 pm

That’s pretty disappointing hopefully another operator can take over.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#412 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:12 pm

Howie wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:46 pm
Who would take over the site.

It's too close for Reading, too low brow and modern for Palace Nova, and I doubt Hoyts would be interested (though they're probably the best fit).

rev

#413 Post by rev » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:42 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:12 pm
Howie wrote:

It's too close for Reading, too low brow and modern for Palace Nova, and I doubt Hoyts would be interested (though they're probably the best fit).
Someone with the right mindset and money to invest in it. The place hasn't changed in 20 years. Most of the year the signage has lights out.
Connecting the cinema complex to the main centre it self would go a long way too. They could expand the centre out over the taxi rank area and some of the car parking spots, and bring that entry further out, create a food court area and link it to the cinema by removing that access road from the side of the loading dock to the cinema entry. The eateries could be backed up onto the Foodland wall, mostly indoor dining but could also incorporate outdoor dining, something like what they've done at TTP.

Westfield Marion wasn't always the massive shopping centre it is today. It was a shit hole many levels below what Arndale is and Arndale isn't even that bad to begin with.
Invest money in the centre the right way and it will bring the masses back. Not just the basic make up they've done.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#414 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:16 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:42 am
Brucetiki wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:12 pm
Howie wrote:

Someone with the right mindset and money to invest in it. The place hasn't changed in 20 years. Most of the year the signage has lights out.
Connecting the cinema complex to the main centre it self would go a long way too. They could expand the centre out over the taxi rank area and some of the car parking spots, and bring that entry further out, create a food court area and link it to the cinema by removing that access road from the side of the loading dock to the cinema entry. The eateries could be backed up onto the Foodland wall, mostly indoor dining but could also incorporate outdoor dining, something like what they've done at TTP.

Westfield Marion wasn't always the massive shopping centre it is today. It was a shit hole many levels below what Arndale is and Arndale isn't even that bad to begin with.
Invest money in the centre the right way and it will bring the masses back. Not just the basic make up they've done.
In theory I agree with you but I think the problem that would be encountered in connecting it with the centre is that it would put some restrictions on the hours the cinema operates, unless an expansion of the centre is deigned to cater for after hours access like Marion has been. I think the owners of the centre really need to rethink the layout of the whole site, not just the centre and figure out how to maximise the growth in residents in the area because every time I've been there recently, even the minor changes have done sweet FA to bring it up to likeable standard. For instance, look at what's being done with Port Canal Shopping Centre, it's more appealing than it ever has been and it's only going to be get better as the further stages open up.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#415 Post by Mpol03 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:26 pm

So basically just bulldoze the thing and start from scratch. It’s a turd. Dressing it up anymore isn’t going to help at this point and the centre had a poor stigma to it.

I know realistically it won’t happen for probably another ten years. Shame about the cinema though.

bits
Legendary Member!

#416 Post by bits » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:20 pm

Arndale will continue to exist for ages but it has proven that it is not a leading mall. It is just an OK local mall.

It is like Hollywood Plaza. In that it is a decent size, it is the destination for locals and once held ambitions of being a draw card for people outside the area but wasn't able to reach that.
It will never match the significance of Marion, TTP, West Lakes, Elizabeth or Noarlunga.

rev

#417 Post by rev » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Yeh ok its not going to be a Marion, but settle down mate Elizabeth and Noarlunga are holes as well. Their only saving grace is their distance from the closest Westfield and that they are in far flung outer suburbs.

The problem is investment in the centre.
When Vicinity (who own Chadstone) owned it, they could have pumped the money in and turned it around. That qas probably the best opportunity since Westfield unloaded it to see it redeveloped substantially.

Apparently the next two upgrade stages have been given the green light but I cant see Armada doing a great job of it.
It needs a serious addition like a dedicated food court with outdoor dining.
It would work well between Foodland southern entry and the cinema, linking the two. I think that would also help secure the cinema, and that side of the centre including Foodland need a renovation bad.

rev

#418 Post by rev » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:00 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:59 pm
Yeh ok its not going to be a Marion, but settle down mate Elizabeth and Noarlunga are holes as well. Their only saving grace is their distance from the closest Westfield and that they are in far flung outer suburbs.

When Centro or Vicinity or Federation or whatever they call them selves now (who own Chadstone) owned it, they could have pumped the money in and turned it around. That was probably the best opportunity since Westfield unloaded it to see it redeveloped substantially to a higher standard.

Apparently the next two upgrade stages have been given the green light but I cant see Armada doing a great job of it.
It would work well between Foodland southern entry and the cinema, linking the two. I think that would also help secure the cinema, and that side of the centre including Foodland need a renovation bad.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#419 Post by baytram366 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:02 am

rev wrote:

When Vicinity (who own Chadstone) owned it, they could have pumped the money in and turned it around. That qas probably the best opportunity since Westfield unloaded it to see it redeveloped substantially.

Wait? What? There is a Foodland at Arndale? I've lived in the area more than 10 years and never noticed :lol:
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

rev

#420 Post by rev » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 am

baytram366 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:02 am
rev wrote:

Wait? What? There is a Foodland at Arndale? I've lived in the area more than 10 years and never noticed :lol:
It's only recent. Romeos took over the space where Coles was.