[COM] Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4624
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by rev »

pushbutton wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:27 am
DcD2510 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:58 pm
I would actually like to see a gutting or redevelopment of the Coles. I would connect the centre with the Cinema. I would like to see investment in a centre that has been neglected for 20 or more years. The part of the centre near Coles, but also near where you used to be able to enter where there is now seating/pavement where The Reject Shop and Best and Less have roller doors or normal doors and that looks really yuck needs something done about it. I would include a sort of food area, kind of what they are doing now.
You obviously haven't been to Arndale for a few years. The part of the centre near Coles is the latest to have been completely refurbished, and looks better than the rest of the centre (which was refurbished a few years previously.
Was the walkway along the length of coles next to the checkouts done? I don't think it was. The coles store it self could do with a refurb as well.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 7005
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by Ben »

Stage 5 of this was in for tenders the other day. Unsure what that involves.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by pushbutton »

rev wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:02 pm
pushbutton wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:27 am
DcD2510 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:58 pm
I would actually like to see a gutting or redevelopment of the Coles. I would connect the centre with the Cinema. I would like to see investment in a centre that has been neglected for 20 or more years. The part of the centre near Coles, but also near where you used to be able to enter where there is now seating/pavement where The Reject Shop and Best and Less have roller doors or normal doors and that looks really yuck needs something done about it. I would include a sort of food area, kind of what they are doing now.
You obviously haven't been to Arndale for a few years. The part of the centre near Coles is the latest to have been completely refurbished, and looks better than the rest of the centre (which was refurbished a few years previously.
Was the walkway along the length of coles next to the checkouts done? I don't think it was. The coles store it self could do with a refurb as well.
That's something Coles could do if they wanted to. The Coles store is essentially still a Bi-Lo. No idea if they have plans for it.
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4624
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by rev »

I just came across some info I haven't seen before, apparently Armada will seek to sell the property or list on the ASX. When they created the Arndale trust in 2014 they said in 7 to 9 years. So between 2021 and 2023..unless they've already listed on the stock exchange?
pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by pushbutton »

It's had more names and owners than any other centre I've heard of.

Originally it was owned by the English Arndale shopping centre company, and called Kilkenny Arndale.

Then Westfield Arndale (a bit like Coca-Cola Pepsi that!)

Centro Arndale.

Then Centro became Federation Centres, and subsequently Vicinity Centres, and under both it was called Arndale Central.

Now it's Armada Arndale.

I wonder what it will be called next!!!
relapse
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:15 am

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by relapse »

pushbutton wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:06 am
It's had more names and owners than any other centre I've heard of.

Originally it was owned by the English Arndale shopping centre company, and called Kilkenny Arndale.

Then Westfield Arndale (a bit like Coca-Cola Pepsi that!)

Centro Arndale.

Then Centro became Federation Centres, and subsequently Vicinity Centres, and under both it was called Arndale Central.

Now it's Armada Arndale.

I wonder what it will be called next!!!
When Westfield owned it, it was called Westfield Kilkenny.

I always remember that because as kid I could never work out why Westfield dropped the Arndale name because Kilkenny always sounded crappy. Now that I know that Arndale was the name of a rival company who used to own the centre it all makes sense now.
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4624
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by rev »

relapse wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 pm
pushbutton wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:06 am
It's had more names and owners than any other centre I've heard of.

Originally it was owned by the English Arndale shopping centre company, and called Kilkenny Arndale.

Then Westfield Arndale (a bit like Coca-Cola Pepsi that!)

Centro Arndale.

Then Centro became Federation Centres, and subsequently Vicinity Centres, and under both it was called Arndale Central.

Now it's Armada Arndale.

I wonder what it will be called next!!!
When Westfield owned it, it was called Westfield Kilkenny.

I always remember that because as kid I could never work out why Westfield dropped the Arndale name because Kilkenny always sounded crappy. Now that I know that Arndale was the name of a rival company who used to own the centre it all makes sense now.
Well we do have generally boring, crappy suburb names here in SA.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by pushbutton »

It was definitely known as Westfield Arndale in the 1990s.

https://youtu.be/AqIARy6O62c
pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by pushbutton »

This is a mall directory from towards the end of the time Arndale was owned by Westfield.
20190412_201338.jpg
20190412_201359.jpg
20190412_201338.jpg
Attachments
20190412_201312.jpg
relapse
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:15 am

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by relapse »

That's interesting, I didn't realise that Westfield changed the name back to Arndale.

During the mid 80s it was definitely called Westfield Kilkenny. The reason why I remember that is because my parents used to always still call it Arndale and can remember being a smart ass and always correcting my Mum that it wasn't Arndale it was Kilkenny.

Maybe Westfield hoped the Kilkenny re-brand would stick, but eventually just gave up and went back to calling it Arndale?

One of my earliest memories was going there as a kid not long after the underground carpark and Big W had been added (I'm guessing around 84 or 85).
pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by pushbutton »

relapse wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:52 pm
That's interesting, I didn't realise that Westfield changed the name back to Arndale.

Maybe Westfield hoped the Kilkenny re-brand would stick, but eventually just gave up and went back to calling it Arndale
I can tell you from my experience with Westfield that's exactly what happened!
Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by Eurostar »

relapse wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:52 pm
That's interesting, I didn't realise that Westfield changed the name back to Arndale.

During the mid 80s it was definitely called Westfield Kilkenny. The reason why I remember that is because my parents used to always still call it Arndale and can remember being a smart ass and always correcting my Mum that it wasn't Arndale it was Kilkenny.

Maybe Westfield hoped the Kilkenny re-brand would stick, but eventually just gave up and went back to calling it Arndale?

One of my earliest memories was going there as a kid not long after the underground carpark and Big W had been added (I'm guessing around 84 or 85).
Arndale was a company so Westfield wouldn't be able to use it, that would be plagiarism. After a while maybe Westfield bought the name Arndale.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by pushbutton »

The Arndale company built shopping centres all over the UK, and 4 in Australia.

There were two in SA. Kilkenny, and Oaklands Park. The one in Oaklands Park was also sold to Westfield and it still is owned by Westfield now.

Interestingly it's not called Westfield Arndale.

I suppose they could have called it Westfield Arndale Marion, but I think they made the right decision just going with Westfield Marion!
pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1429
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by pushbutton »

I now just happen to live very close to one of the other Australian Arndale centres, at Springwood, Queensland.

That one is still called Arndale (just "Arndale", no prefix or suffix), and is now owned by a company called Retail First.

I'm glad it's not called Retail First Arndale! 😆
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4624
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

Post by rev »

I'm positive it was Westfield Kilkenny. Arndale is just what people called it. Although interestingly I did see an article from when Westfield sold their share in it referring to it as Westfield Arndale.
Post Reply