[COM] Westfield West Lakes (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Proposed: Westfield West Lakes extension

#31 Post by pushbutton » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:09 am

Well I think the whole point of going to a shopping centre is whatever you want it to be. It might be to shop, or it might be for a meal, a coffee, to browse, for the sake of the exercise of walking, to meet friends, to watch a movie, or be entertained in some other way (some centres have other leisure facilities like ice skating, bowling, stage shows, arcade games, golf etc).

Sometimes people go to a shopping centre just to relax and enjoy the atmosphere (of which the style and architecture are a very important part).

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by pushbutton » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:38 am

As a point of interest, I just looked at the store listings on the Westfield Tea Tree Plaza website, and found there are 237 stores there.

I then looked at the store listings on the elizabeth shopping centre site and found there are 235 stores there.

Not that I care to argue about it, but it is interesting to note, and given that most shopping centres have regular fluctuations of a few stores at any time opening / closing / relocating / refurbishing etc, it's fair to say both these centres have ABOUT THE SAME number of shops! (admittedly this doesn't include Tea Tree Plus since at the moment it is officially a separate entity).

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM] Re: Minor upgrade to Westfield West Lakes

#33 Post by Cruise » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:52 pm

Not exactly a minor upgrade but this is the only West Lakes shopping centre thread i could find.

http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... -approval/

SHOPPERS will have at least 30 extra reasons to visit Westfield West Lakes in 2011 following council approval for a $100 million expansion.

Charles Sturt Council’s development assessment panel last week approved an application by Westfield to expand the centre by close to 20 per cent, adding nearly 15,400sq m of retail floor space, enough for 30 or more shops.

Centre manager Isaac Tait said the upgrade would allow for a greater mix of shops.

“We’re looking at this stage to have a discount department store and between 30 and 35 speciality stores,” Mr Tait said.

The upgrade will include:* a new internal mall running north-south connecting with existing malls adjacent to David Jones and Harris Scarfe; an expanded Harris Scarfe; three new “mini-major” shops separated from the main centre; roof-top car parks to the west of the complex; and improved landscaping along Brebner Drv.

Mr Tait said details were still being worked out regarding the timing of the upgrade but it was likely to be completed within two years.

The centre last underwent a $60 million upgrade in 2004, which included a new food court and cinema complex.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by Somebody » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Good stuff - West Lakes isn't too bad, pity about the present car dependence and the crappyness of the Hungry Jacks in the carpark. Will be good to see it get light rail in the short term future as well, although it seems strange that Grange will keep heavy rail yet West Lakes is getting trams :wank:
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by pushbutton » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:57 am

Surveyors have been working on the site for the past week to get measurements and make final adjustments to the plans.

I still have no definite date for when construction will actually start though.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by crawf » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:58 am

Westfield West Lakes is one of the better shopping centres in SA, its nice and modern. However its food choice is bad, which is surprising since they have just built a very nice food court area.

Anyway discovered on Wednesday that Rebel Sport is opening soon on the 2nd level next to JB HiFi, would be good to see the centre have a mini entertainment precinct like Westfield Marion considering all the hi-rises going up there and AAMI Stadium but then again I want the same for nearby Port Adelaide.

P.S this thread should be merged with the other Westfield WL thread.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by pushbutton » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:17 am

But why bump it up if here's nothing new to add?

Oh well, since you did bump it up, let me add this. It's not exactly an upgrade mind you, but I have it from a, erm, well let's say a 100% reliable and anonymous source that Westfield wants to install boom gates at the carpark entrances at West Lakes and charge for parking. Apparently they already do this at some of their interstate and overseas centres and they want to do it here, starting with West Lakes.

Whether or not it happens is all down to the Charles Sturt council now because the application has definitely already gone in!

I am sure they would loose customers if they did that and I'm not happy about it at all, but I guess it's just another way for them to make money!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#38 Post by Cruise » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:24 pm

I have heard that also, i don't think they will loose customers though, it just means customers will park in side streets and turn the area into a ghetto.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by AtD » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:29 pm

If it's anything like how Westfield run their car parks interstate, the first two or three hours will be free and then the price rises significantly from there on. You often also get free parking if you buy a movie ticket. They may even only use it for game days.

There is one near my work in Canberra. Many employees, rather than paying $4 to park in the public car park, drive out of the gates and back in again every few hours. Of course, sometimes they forget and are charged a lot more than $4!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by Norman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:05 pm

Cruise wrote:I have heard that also, i don't think they will loose customers though, it just means customers will park in side streets and turn the area into a ghetto.
I think you're too 'loose' with your grammar, maybe next time don't 'lose' your dictionary.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#41 Post by Cruise » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Not important

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by crawf » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:55 pm

pushbutton wrote:But why bump it up if here's nothing new to add?

Oh well, since you did bump it up, let me add this. It's not exactly an upgrade mind you, but I have it from a, erm, well let's say a 100% reliable and anonymous source that Westfield wants to install boom gates at the carpark entrances at West Lakes and charge for parking. Apparently they already do this at some of their interstate and overseas centres and they want to do it here, starting with West Lakes.

Whether or not it happens is all down to the Charles Sturt council now because the application has definitely already gone in!

I am sure they would loose customers if they did that and I'm not happy about it at all, but I guess it's just another way for them to make money!
This was on Seven News a couple of weeks ago, I think they only want to do it on game days only.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

[COM] Westfield denied request to install boom-gates at West Lakes

#43 Post by Prince George » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm

http://weekly-times-messenger.whereiliv ... for-gates/

Honestly, if this story was coming from a city that I didn't live in, I might be able to just shake my head and laugh about it. But instead ...

As most of us know, Westfield want to put in boom gates at West Lakes to manage parking demand, specifically
The Westfield plan

Westfield wants to install boom gates and ticket machines at West Lakes, to allow it to ``better manage car parking at the centre’’.

The first three hours of parking at the centre would be free, the fourth hour $2, the fifth hour a further $3, and a further $3 an hour thereafter, up to a maximum of $20.
If Westfield really are going to expand West Lakes at some point and presumably attract more visitors to the centre, then this sounds like a Good Thing. Sadly, the response was all too predictable, albeit rather stronger than I expected.
WESTFIELD’S contentious bid to charge people to park at its West Lakes Shopping Centre has again been knocked back by Charles Sturt Council.

More than 80 people at the council’s Development Assessment Panel (DAP) meeting erupted into cheers and embraced each other after Westfield’s application to install boom gates at West Lakes was refused for the second time, on Tuesday, May 18.
Cheers? Embraces? Because you won't have to pay for parking at a shopping centre?
The DAP’s decision went against a staff recommendation to approve the proposal. Reasons given by the panel for the refusal included:
Time limited parking would not provide “an adequate focus for community life”
Dear West Torrens, do you understand what you're saying? That your "community life" is focussed on a shopping mall? Is your plan actually to become a living version of Mall Rats?

There's more, but that's enough irritation for one day.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Westfield denied request to install boom-gates at West L

#44 Post by crawf » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:12 pm

I believe you mean the City of Charles Sturt.

To me it doesn't really make much sense to me why they are focusing on West Lakes and not Marion, when AFL is expected to leave AAMI in the next 4-5 years and Westfield Marion is our biggest and busiest shopping centre. There is so many days where it is impossible to get a carpark, boom gates could attract more people to use the train network or buses.

While West Lakes is our 4th biggest shopping centre, has loads of carparks and has average public transport.
If Westfield really are going to expand West Lakes at some point and presumably attract more visitors to the centre, then this sounds like a Good Thing. Sadly, the response was all too predictable, albeit rather stronger than I expected.
I don't see how this will affect the future expansion of West Lakes nor attract more visitors.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Westfield denied request to install boom-gates at West L

#45 Post by skyliner » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:21 pm

just another expense in an economy that says we have a low GPI where in fact living costs are skyrocketing. Eg QLD electricity costs to rise 50% in 4 years. Cost of living $1200 extra a year from 1/7/10 on. Can't see it being much different elsewhere. (Although we have many tolls roads and Adelaide doesn't - count your blessing there!)

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.