PRO: Garden Island Motorsport Complex | $25m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
The Proboscis Monkey
Sen-Rookie-Sational

PRO: Garden Island Motorsport Complex | $25m

#1 Post by The Proboscis Monkey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:03 pm

Portside Messenger is reporting plans for a new motorsport complex on Garden Island:
http://www.messengerwest.com.au/article ... _news.html

Edited :

Garden Island Site (current)

Ash-SV6
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: New motorsport complex

#2 Post by Ash-SV6 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm a big motorsport fan, and as much as I would love to see a new drag racing complex for holding ANDRA events, I don't think Garden Island is the location for it. The Island is too small and environmentally sensitive.

The Proboscis Monkey
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3 Post by The Proboscis Monkey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:11 pm

The article also says a few northern suburbs sites are under consideration, which may work better anyway.

Either way, it's definitely something motorsport in this state needs, most of the other states have a half-modern motorsport facility - think the Quit Motorplex in Perth.

The Clipsal 500's popularity proves there enough is interest here, it just needs the money and infrastucture.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:44 pm

Yes about time too! Finally something to fill the void left by AIR, even though AIR's been reopened for street meets, it's just never been the same. I think the government should get behind this, as enthausiasts need a place to take it off the streets and away from the heat.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Edgar » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:28 am

Couldn't find where Garden Island is in the map?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AG » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:00 am

Garden Island is located by the Port River, not far from Torrens Island and Port Adelaide.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Norman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:02 am

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:24 am

Here is the perth kwinana complex they're modelling on

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=61

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Edgar » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks Norman for the map.

Is that a private marina berths I see in the map?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:40 pm

Nightcrawler from the skylinesaustralia website posted.
old news .... I posted about this middle of last year after a long chat with Terry V. Looks likes Bill R is involved too and he and his consortium want to pump up to $10M into the project if the State Govt will put $10M in too - and so they should. It will have a huge reduction/impact on hoon driving, drifting and drag racing if we actually have a legal place to do it twice a week smile.gif I will be peeing my pants with excitement if this actually goes ahead. Apparently people have already acquired some 2nd hand timing gear and timing boards from an Eastern states drag complex that have updated - so things are definitely in the works.

Ash-SV6
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by Ash-SV6 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Cheapest option would be to do an upgrade of Adelaide International Raceway, but obviously they need to purchase it off Bob Jane first. Only problem with AIR is the track faces into the setting sun and the crowd is far too close to the strip for top level categories such as Top Fuel.

Personally I think near Murray Bridge would be a good spot - cheaper land, big town that would welcome the economic benefits, and closer for Victorian and New South Wales competitors.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:33 am

Howie wrote:Yes about time too! Finally something to fill the void left by AIR, even though AIR's been reopened for street meets, it's just never been the same. I think the government should get behind this, as enthausiasts need a place to take it off the streets and away from the heat.
AIR has SUCKED ever since they stopped top fuel events.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by Norman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:48 am

I wouldn't participate, but I'd come to watch.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#14 Post by Cruise » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:32 am

hey howie, i read your comments in the messenger today did you know they printed it?

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Edgar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am

Ash-SV6 wrote:Cheapest option would be to do an upgrade of Adelaide International Raceway, but obviously they need to purchase it off Bob Jane first. Only problem with AIR is the track faces into the setting sun and the crowd is far too close to the strip for top level categories such as Top Fuel.

Personally I think near Murray Bridge would be a good spot - cheaper land, big town that would welcome the economic benefits, and closer for Victorian and New South Wales competitors.

AIR will not be upgraded unless someone buys it from Bob Jane, and AIR case is put to sleep, after several court hearing, and nothing can be done still. It will become another case of the Victoria Racepark development, which we should just forget and put it behind us and look for something new and better even.

Murray Bridge is too far off the east, though it may be beneficial to interstate, but it also concerns the distance that the average South Australians have to travel to get there, which is no ideal for open street class participants, where most would be racing in their daily driven cars.

Garden Island is the perfect location, close to the city, close for people of the northern, and easy commuting for people from the South too (you can bypass the city).