PRO: Garden Island Motorsport Complex | $25m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Edgar
Legendary Member!

Re: #Proposed : $25m Motorsport Complex (Garden Island)

#61 Post by Edgar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Someone from another forum prepared this amateur drawing of what he/she would like to see in Garden Island

http://nissansilvia.com/forums/index.ph ... &p=3994934

Not a bad attempt :D
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#62 Post by AtD » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:30 pm

lol, is that Harbour Town?

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by Edgar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:15 pm

lol, now that you point it out, it is too :lol:
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#64 Post by Strangled Cat » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:46 am

http://www.andra.com.au/article.asp?Id=1938
The Adelaide Motorplex Committee has invited drag racing clubs, race-teams, families and friends to attend a Public Meeting, to be held at 2pm, Sunday the 23rd of August. The meeting will be held at the Masonic Hall, corner of Commercial St (Port Rd) and Dale St, Pt Adelaide.

The meeting is to inform all interested parties of the progress and current developments regarding the proposed multi-code, privately funded Adelaide Motorplex, and planned for construction in the Pt Adelaide/Gillman area.

The development of this Motorsport Park is a positive one for South Australia and the many associated industries/businesses that would benefit from such a world class facility.

This project has the full support of the Australian National Drag Racing Association (ANDRA Inc).

ANDRA's CEO Tony Thornton will be joined by a representative from CAMS as well as Senior Politicians, Guest speakers and well as the Adelaide Motorplex consortium themselves. There will also be an opportunity to publicly ask questions to those present on the day.

Tony Thornton commented, “We encourage you all to attend the Public Meeting and show support for this exciting South Australian project. ANDRA drag racing has continued to grow over the last number of years and Adelaide has missed out on two of Australian motorsport’s leading championship series.”

“ANDRA has been working closely with the Adelaide Motorplex consortium for the last two years and we are optimistic that we are getting closer to a result. Drag Racing is pleased that we have been able to provide a base from which other motorsports may benefit,” concluded Thornton.

The Adelaide Motorplex will be a multi-purpose complex meaning that will bring ANDRA Drag Racing back to South Australia.

ANDRA believes that providing safe and controlled environments where participation by the public is readily accessible is a socially responsible outcome that could offer some assistance to address the 'hoon' problem.

If your organisation, business or club has an interest in this very important motor sport issue, ANDRA encourages you to attend.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#65 Post by adam_stuckey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:33 pm

Pretty good turn out I could even get inside!
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by Howie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:43 pm

Just realised this was on yesterday.. shame I should've come down to get some pics.

Edit: Quite a few people turned out from this pic of facebook.
Attachments
5700_103134559696625_100000002458638_87888_8111559_n.jpg
5700_103134559696625_100000002458638_87888_8111559_n.jpg (75.67 KiB) Viewed 6377 times

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#67 Post by Strangled Cat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Yeah it was a good turn out. Masonic Hall was full and the crowd spilled past the the bunting and right onto the street. It was very informative, just a shame there's no actual date set for the rally.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by Howie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:22 am

Guess this project will be good as dead if Dry Creek development goes ahead..
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=8&t=2564

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#69 Post by Strangled Cat » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:33 pm

Adelaide Motorplex Public Rally
Parliament House, North Terrace Adelaide.
Sunday 25th October @ 12.00pm
People Power - No Cars

Parking facilities to be announced, or just use public transport or city car parks.

There is also an official petition (CLICK HERE), please download it and get as many signatures as you can and return to
City Dismantlers
Unit 4, 11-31 Port Wakefield Rd
Gepps Cross SA 5094

To unsubscribe from these announcements, login to the forum and uncheck "Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email." in your profile.

You can view the full announcement by following this link:

http://smasa.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=2443.0

Regards,
The Street Machine Association of South Australia Team.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by Wayno » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:28 pm

The push continues

See last sentence - Labor promises to meet and discuss. Third last sentence - Libs promise land...

From AdelaideNow - Oct 25
HUNDREDS of driving enthusiasts rallied at Parliament House today demanding the Rann Government support a new street racing complex for South Australia.

Ralliers spilled on to North Tce, blasting air horns and whistles, as they called on Premier Mike Rann to release land to a consortium lobbying to build a $25 million motorsport venue in Adelaide.

The complex would have a quarter-mile racing strip, a street circuit and speedway, a sprintboat course and a conference centre and business park.

It could also serve as a training ground for emergency service vehicles, driving schools and a concert venue.

In July this year, the Land Management Corporation told the consortium the proposed site a Gilman, which was suggested by the LMC two years ago, was no longer suitable.

Opposition sport, recreation and racing spokesman Terry Stephens told the vocal crowd a Liberal government would provide land for the complex, either for lease or purchase.

Consortium spokeswoman Anna Micheel urged supporters to "keep the pressure on the Government right up to the election".

A spokesman for Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon said a meeting had been scheduled to discuss the issue early next month.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#71 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:55 am

From today's Adelaide Now:

Tailem Bend licensed for speed
STUART INNES
November 05, 2009 12:01am

DRAG racers will have a legal venue for thrashing their cars with the planned development of a motorsport complex at the old Mitsubishi site at Tailem Bend.
The former Mitsubishi test site also will cater for driver training and automotive testing under an agreement just signed.
A consortium, headed by the Sporting Car Club of South Australia and Motorcycling SA, has entered a Memorandum of Understanding with the land's owner, Coorong District Council.
Racing would be organised and supervised by appointed officials and would not be at the whim of individuals.
The 690ha triangular site, created by the junction of the Dukes and Mallee highways just east of Tailem Bend, already has a 1.6km bitumen strip, a skid pan and some off-road/dirt track courses.
Existing facilities can be used for sprints and motorkhanas from early next year, once race venue licences are approved.
The plan is to add facilities and tracks for bitumen circuit racing, drag racing, drifting, super motard (motorbike racing that has tarmac and dirt surfaces on each lap), motocross, rallying and endurance events.
The cost of the plan is unknown but insiders admit it will be at least a "multi-million dollar" investment over several years.
A comprehensive feasibility study is the next step and will include feedback from car and motorbike sports clubs offering suggestions.
The complex will be used for driver training as well as testing of motorbikes, cars, commercial vehicles and even machinery.
Sporting Car Club spokesman and race driver Lyn Punshon said there was a need for more motor sport venues across Australia.
"SA can take a position of leadership when the Tailem Bend motorsport facility comes on stream," he said yesterday.
Coorong District Council bought the land when Mitsubishi ceased manufacturing cars in SA last year. It called for expressions of interest in April, with an eye to economic development. Mayor Roger Strother said he was excited about the motorsport facility.
"It will bring enormous economic benefit to the district and put the Coorong District Council on the map with national exposure," he said.
The Sporting Car Club claims to be the oldest motorsport club in the southern hemisphere. It is an experienced promoter of motorsport and has among its 1800 motoring enthusiast members many volunteer officials, competitors and respected business brains.
The project has the backing of the national governing bodies for motorbike and car sports respectively, Motorcycling Australia and CAMS.
Motorcycling SA president Ivan Golding said the Tailem Bend project would provide substantial benefits to motorsport.
CAMS chief Graham Fountain said the project also could be used for youth development programs.
The Tailem Bend project is ahead of a proposed Gillman Motoplex, which has stalled because of an inability by the developers to secure the land from the State Government.
cheers,
Rhino

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by Howie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:51 am

Way too far to make an impact on local racers in Adelaide.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by Splashmo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:19 pm

Howie wrote:Way too far to make an impact on local racers in Adelaide.
Build it and they will come. Especially car club people.

Of course now it just means they'll be speeding up and down the freeway.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#74 Post by peas_and_corn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:53 pm

Here's what a friend of mine had to say about the proposal, he knows a bit more than I do about these things-

Firstly, a bit of history. The track itself, the old "River Bend" facility closed 25 odd years ago. At that point everything that was there (spectator mounds, toilet facilities, etc) were all torn down. So the only thing left on the block is a strip of concrete/ashphalt. After the closure, Mitsubishi used the facility as a 4WD test track, so I would imagine (having not actually seen it) that the track itself couldn't actually be in fantastic shape, a smooth track is no use to somebody who wants to test a 4WD.

The land was sold to the local council somewhere around the early part of this decade, and they had grand plans to turn it into a full sc ale industrial park. Not sure what has happened with that, since local council seems pretty happy with the idea of turning it back into a motorsport facility now. The Sporting Car Club of SA have been involved with running motorsport events for a long time. They run things like the Collingrove Hillclimb and lap sprint days at Mallala successfully. This would be their first foray into drag racing.

Though as you've no doubt read in the article, drag racing is just the beginning. They plan on turning it into a bit of a one stop shop, with facilities for motorkhana, a gokart track and a bunch of other things. This is a business model rather similar to that of the Motorsport at the Port plan, with the biggest difference being that the SCCSA idea is a bit further out of the city. At the moment they're just at the feasibility study stage, though in reality if found feasible, and if they have the required capital, we could be racing late next year.

As you've heard me debate before, the sheer number of positives for having this sort of facility is huge.

Tailem Bend is about an hour from the CBD. Closer for those travelling from south of the city. The freeway makes the trip quite easy, especially for those towing. The trip back is a tad harder, as race team trailers are usually weighed down with toolboxes, eskies, spare parts and sundry small bits that have been accumulated over a lifetime of racing and hanging around cars. You've come down the freeway, you know how steep it is towards the end. In reality it does demand a fair amount of concentration, especially if you're towing something heavy. Bu tother than that, there isn't anything there. By comparison, the Willowbank facility is in Ipswitch, a small town about an hour up the freeway from Brisbane, and is incredibly successful. Ipswitch, while is still a small town, has been growing in leaps and bounds over the past few years. But in Ipswitch there was already some infrastructure in place...such as beds. Tailem bend has nothing but a couple of servos.

The drive up there is also relatively straight. I shudder to think about it, but I dare say that the anal wart hoons will be turning the SE Freeway into their own race track. Using Sydney as an example, from the time you pull out of the gate on a Wednesday night, it's on I'm told. They launch out of the gate, and fly up the freeway. In fact a motorcyclist was killed there Saturday afternoon. I know there was a similar practice on Port Wakefield Rd heading out to AIR, and to be honest I can't really see the trip up Port Road out to the proposed Port Motorplex, though I must say the number of people willing to do stupid things on Port Road will be far lower, since it is totally urban and viciously patrolled by the local constabulary; as is Port Wakefield Rd. The freeway? While on race days there could be a special setup, I worry about the first person who does something really stupid and kills themselves.

So where do I sit on this one? Well, I'll believe it will happen when I'm standing on the start line. We've been hearing that we'll have a track ready for next season for 8 or 9 years now. As an official for ANDRA, the sport's governing body in Aust, I'm totally in favour of anybody who wants to run drag racing events. However in the short term, I'll continue to look forward to our regional Tri-Series, and we're planning on being in Perth for the Western Nationals come Feb, and with a bit of luck we'll be in Qld for the New Year Series.

If there's anything I've missed in this rambling, let me know and I'll redress.

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#75 Post by flavze » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:07 pm

As a Hills resident and a motorsport enthusiast i am extremely keen to see something like either one of the new Motorsport complexs up and running.
Though a Tailem Bend venue would be easier and quicker for me to attend i would favour the Garden Island venue at this moment.
I think the ability for motorsport related buisness's to located around the complex have a much greater chance of being sustainable at the Garden Island location.

One advantage of the Tailem Bend venue is the remoteness of it and the lack of whingers that would be nearby.
Also with the continued development of the North-South traffic corridors the Idea of locating it up the freeway has appeal .