#COM: Walkerville Town Centre | $55m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Walkerville Town Centre - 5 levels - $55 million

#16 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 pm

fishinajar wrote:
Faulkick wrote:One thing that worries me, is that once again Woolworths are going to run another business out of.. Business - the IGA that is across the road is going to lose a LOT of it's sales, and even the Foodland up the top of Smith street (Collinswood Foodland, on NE Road) is going to lose a decent percentage of it's business.
This is the "natural" order of things. Old smaller outdated centres are pushed out by larger new centres. But relax, boutique shops or apartment/townhouses will quickly snaffue any unwanted Mainstreet sites. Its called redevelopment, sometimes this happens quickly and noticably, sometimes its a gradual progression. I for one am a fan of it.
I'm okay with what you describe, but anticompetitive behaviour isn't good for the consumer in the long run. It goes like this;
1. 'Largechain' move into area, sends spies out to record the local prices and offers heavy discounts below them.
2. Smaller shops try to keep up, but since Largechain is selling at below cost most of the time and using its cash reserves to support it, the smaller shops either reinvent themselves or more often close shop.
3. After the opposition has been 'cleansed' from the area, Largechain is able to raise prices to whatever they wish -- and they do such offering only a few token specials in their advertising.
4. Since they are the only act in town, they also squeeze their supply chain to gain a better margin in the supply direction. This means poorer quality produce.
5. Largechain sit back and reap the profit from both sides of the supply and distribution equation, whist consumers suffer from poor produce at inflated prices and suppliers find it hard to make ends meet.

Competition and a free media is required to make the capitalist system work. Since we have little of either we are screwed.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:49 pm

monotonehell wrote:
fishinajar wrote:
Faulkick wrote:One thing that worries me, is that once again Woolworths are going to run another business out of.. Business - the IGA that is across the road is going to lose a LOT of it's sales, and even the Foodland up the top of Smith street (Collinswood Foodland, on NE Road) is going to lose a decent percentage of it's business.
This is the "natural" order of things. Old smaller outdated centres are pushed out by larger new centres. But relax, boutique shops or apartment/townhouses will quickly snaffue any unwanted Mainstreet sites. Its called redevelopment, sometimes this happens quickly and noticably, sometimes its a gradual progression. I for one am a fan of it.
I'm okay with what you describe, but anticompetitive behaviour isn't good for the consumer in the long run. It goes like this;
1. 'Largechain' move into area, sends spies out to record the local prices and offers heavy discounts below them.
2. Smaller shops try to keep up, but since Largechain is selling at below cost most of the time and using its cash reserves to support it, the smaller shops either reinvent themselves or more often close shop.
3. After the opposition has been 'cleansed' from the area, Largechain is able to raise prices to whatever they wish -- and they do such offering only a few token specials in their advertising.
4. Since they are the only act in town, they also squeeze their supply chain to gain a better margin in the supply direction. This means poorer quality produce.
5. Largechain sit back and reap the profit from both sides of the supply and distribution equation, whist consumers suffer from poor produce at inflated prices and suppliers find it hard to make ends meet.

Competition and a free media is required to make the capitalist system work. Since we have little of either we are screwed.
It's called the Wal-Mart effect?

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by fishinajar » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:12 am

Norman wrote:It's called the Wal-Mart effect?
I do agree with you monotonehell and Norman on this point to an extent. I'm actually considering getting my fruit & veg from the markets in the near future. The reason I say to an extent is that I have on many occasions attempted to shop regularly at "the smaller guy" and found his produce to be sadly lacking, choice restricted, and prices sometimes ridiculously inflated.

But as I said , I agree with the pattern: they move in and sell meat, fruit & veg, and cigarettes cheaper until the local butcher, fruit & veg, & smokemart go bust and then things do change. Our market is still relatively capitalist (in a competitive sense). If coles or woolworths takes extreme advantage of a neighbourhood you can bet the opposition won't be far behind to try to steal the local custom. It would be better with a third player.

Maybe we would benefit from "producer unions"? If coles and woolies start putting the squeeze on to much the other member producers could refuse to sell to them. This would result in an oversupply-cheaper prices to the smaller guys, and an under-supply to the big meany-very inflated prices by the non member producers. Either way the producers will need to come together and engage their balls if they don't wish to be pushed around as much.

I fear I have taken the bait and sprinted with it, far from the topic.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#19 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:39 am

fishinajar wrote:Maybe we would benefit from "producer unions"? If coles and woolies start putting the squeeze on to much the other member producers could refuse to sell to them. This would result in an oversupply-cheaper prices to the smaller guys, and an under-supply to the big meany-very inflated prices by the non member producers.
Nope. I recently bought food for a large camp from Woolworths. The camp was in the Riverland, and the oranges I bought from Woolworths came from California (they had those little stickers on them). If I'd bothered to look at the stickers in time, I wouldn't have bought them.
cheers,
Rhino

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by Prince George » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:30 pm

rhino wrote:Nope. I recently bought food for a large camp from Woolworths. The camp was in the Riverland, and the oranges I bought from Woolworths came from California (they had those little stickers on them). If I'd bothered to look at the stickers in time, I wouldn't have bought them.
That could be a seasonal thing - oranges are a winter crop, so the Californian harvest was just a couple of months ago. In just a few months, we'll have Riverland navels in the stores here.

Faulkick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#21 Post by Faulkick » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:55 am

Just thought I would say that there is 0% workrate going on for this project. I heard that because of the financial crisis, development was stopped, and possibly canned, however I have also heard that the site was bought out by another party.

Either way I just wish they would hurry up and build.

EDIT: In other Walkerville news though, the old Walkers Arms Hotel was demolished not too long ago, and construction has gone underway already, I walk past the site every day and it seems to be flying up. I think these builders once finished here need to take a walk down to the end of Fuller street and start on the town centre.

Xaragmata

#22 Post by Xaragmata » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:33 am

Faulkick wrote:Just thought I would say that there is 0% workrate going on for this project. I heard that because of the financial crisis, development was stopped, and possibly canned, however I have also heard that the site was bought out by another party.
There is an article on it in the current Independent Weekly:

http://www.independentweekly.com.au/new ... 44746.aspx
There’s a hole in my suburb
KATE NASH
20/06/2009 4:00:00 AM

Work began last year on an impressive supermarket project, complete with 20 speciality shops, topped by 42 residential apartments and a 200-car basement car park, in one of Adelaide’s most exclusive suburbs.

But there has been little obvious progress on the Walkerville Village Shopping Centre on Walkerville Terrace site since Sarah Construction workers went off-site at the end of January, leaving a massive hole in the ground behind them.

[snip - follow the link]

Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#23 Post by Songsting » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Faulkick wrote:the old Walkers Arms Hotel was demolished not too long ago, and construction has gone underway already, I walk past the site every day and it seems to be flying up.
Any updates on the progress of the Walkers Arms? I wonder when the expected completion date is?

Waewick

#24 Post by Waewick » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Prince George wrote:
rhino wrote:Nope. I recently bought food for a large camp from Woolworths. The camp was in the Riverland, and the oranges I bought from Woolworths came from California (they had those little stickers on them). If I'd bothered to look at the stickers in time, I wouldn't have bought them.
That could be a seasonal thing - oranges are a winter crop, so the Californian harvest was just a couple of months ago. In just a few months, we'll have Riverland navels in the stores here.
yes, some oranges are winters crops and sum are summer crops hence the riverland growers grow both.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Will » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:23 pm

From Commercial & General:
Walkerville Town Centre

The Walkerville Town Centre development commenced construction in 2009 and comprises almost 5,000m2 of retail space and features a ‘full line’ Woolworths supermarket of almost 2,800m2. The development also includes approximately 20 other specialty tenancies and a basement car park for approximately 200 vehicles. The project incorporates the Victoria Terrace Apartment Complex which includes 46 ‘high end’ residences over 4 storeys. The project value is in excess of $40 million and is due for completion in late 2011.

Faulkick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#26 Post by Faulkick » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:22 pm

I really do wish they would hurry up and do something.. Anything, even move the mounds of dirt, I've driven past the site thousands of times since anything was last done on it. Absolutely shocking work by everybody involved. Disgusting.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by AtD » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:09 pm

Thursday's AFR:

Savills
For Sale - Mixed Use Development
Walkerville Town Centre SA

- 21 specialty shops + supermarket (20 year lease to Woolworths)
- Projected net income over $2m/yr + GST
- 46 apartments overlooking River Torrens

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by rogue » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:48 pm

$55m Walkerville Town Centre plan in limbo

AFTER nearly a decade of controversy over the Walkerville Town Centre Redevelopment, developer Holcon has put the site on the market.

This puts in doubt plans for a $55 million town centre development, including 21 specialty shops, 40 apartments, a 500sq m square and 305 carparks.

Holcon director Stephen Connor refused to give reasons for the sale, except to say negotiations with a private investor had failed.

“We are seeking to secure an investor to purchase the retail centre component of the development with Woolworths and other specialty retail tenants we have secured to date, in place,” Mr Connor said.

This comes just three weeks after Holcon director Stephen Holmes told the City North Messenger the project would re-start within three months.

Savills agent Rino Carpinelli said the site, plus plans for the redevelopment, likely would sell for about $13 million.

He said developers or investors could buy the land and plans, buy into a joint venture with Holcon, or buy the development to take ownership of it once built.

“There has certainly been no shortage of interest from purchasers,” he said.

“We think it’s a great development opportunity or an investment opportunity.”

The Transport Department sold the land to Holcon for $5.17 million in 2008 and in the same year, Sarah Construction completed excavation of the site, which has remained unchanged - angering residents and local business owners.

In January, the Valuer General valued the land at $3.68 million, after improvements. Holcon, while disputing this figure, would not reveal what it believed the site was worth.

Walkerville Mayor David Whiting, who has spoken publicly against the development, hoped the sale would mean a different design.

Mr Whiting said he wanted to see a development that better suited the area, with a casual dining cafe or restaurant. “I am very pleased the site is being sold because I wasn’t at all impressed with the development on the site ... that’s not to say we won’t get something similar with someone else,” he said.

Walkerville Traders Association chairman James Williams said the sale was not necessarily good news for traders. “It does not matter who owns the hole,” he said.

“Any delay in the development is not a good thing for traders.”

WHAT’S HAPPENED

History of the Walkerville Town Centre Redevelopment:

2003: Walkerville selected developer Holcon for redevelopment of Walkerville Town Centre.

2004: The council negotiates with Transport SA to buy its carpark to onsell to Holcon.

2007: DAC approved a five-storey commercial and residential building.

Transport SA pulled the plug on the sale of the carpark.

Holcon sued Walkerville Council and the State Government over the failed sale of the Transport SA carpark.

2008: The case was settled out of court and the State Government sold the carpark directly to Holcon for about $5.2 million.

Work begins on clearing the land for a basement carpark.

2009: Work is stalled once stage one is complete.

Holcon name building contractors Commercial and General as preferred contractor to finish the $55 million project.

DAC approved the development to go ahead in two stages over five years.

2010: Holcon puts the site on the market.
http://city-north-messenger.whereilive. ... ent-limbo/

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Will » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:48 pm

From the Messenger:
Fill us in: Walkerville residents demand answers on hole

Council29 Mar 11 @ 09:00am by LISA BACHMAYER

THE Walkerville community remains frustrated at a lack of information surrounding the development of the former Transport SA carpark site.

The Walkerville Tce site, earmarked for a town centre redevelopment, has been dubbed the black hole by locals after being on the market for nine months.

Walkerville Council is also in the dark when it comes to developer Holcon’s plan to offload the site, with requests for information going unanswered.

Walkerville Residents Association president Wendy Vodopivec said residents were “very disheartened” by the stalled town centre redevelopment.

“It has gone on for such a long time, they’ve become resigned to the fact nothing is going to happen,” Ms Vodopivec said.

“I think the weeds around the fence are a testimony to the lack of action on the site.”

Walkerville traders have labelled the vacant land, which was excavated for a basement carpark in 2009, an eyesore and say it is has discouraged people from coming to the area.

Helen McCallum, from Flowers on the Terrace, says “everyone” has noticed its effect on business.

“Things are in the melting pot, but nothing is happening,” Ms McCallum said.

Walkerville Council CEO Kiki Magro told last week’s council meeting she had had “absolutely no correspondence” from Holcon.

“We are struggling to get information,” Ms Magro said.

“(Late last year) we engaged solicitors to provide questions on our behalf to find out what Holcon intend to do.

“They chose to ignore the questions.”

Ms Magro said a follow-up letter was also ignored and there was “not a lot” the council could do.

“We are making every effort to get information from Holcon (and I am) happy to continue doing that but there is not a lot else we can do.”

Holcon bought the land from the Transport Department in 2008, with plans for a $55 million town centre redevelopment, including 21 specialty shops, 40 apartments, a 500 sq m town square and 305 carparks.

Holcon put the site up for sale in August and it has remained a giant hole in the ground ever since.

Savills agent Rino Carpinelli said the “For Sale” sign had been taken down recently because it had been vandalised with graffiti.

He did “not know the latest” about the sale and referred questions to Holcon director Stephen Connor.

Mr Connor did not return the City North Messenger’s calls last week.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Will » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:37 am

From the Messenger:
Walkerville hole saga nears end

Business8 Dec 11 @ 08:30am by Lisa Bachmayer

AT LAST: An artist's impression of the new Walkerville supermarket.

WALKERVILLE traders and residents have welcomed news a Woolworths supermarket and specialty shops will be built on the old Holcon site.

Walkerville’s Development Assessment Panel has approved a shopping centre including a bottle shop and up to 15 other shops.

Walkerville Society chairman Tony Pederick said residents were “delighted”.

“That hole has been an eyesore and now that eyesore will be removed,” Mr Pederick said. “It will give residents more services and shops and it will be another place for people to go to.”

Otto Windler, who runs Otto & Penny Sewing Centre on Smith St, agreed.

“Anything that puts a bit of life in the area would be good,” Mr Windler said.

Locals have labelled the former Transport SA carpark the “Walkerville hole” since the town centre redevelopment stalled two years ago.

Holcon put its site on the market in July last year and Woolworths bought the site in June. A Woolworths spokesman said the company was yet to decide what shops would go in the centre, which would create 150 jobs.

“We look forward to ... reinvigorating the area and becoming an integral part of the Walkerville community,” he said. Construction is expected to start in April and be finished in 12 months