News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#526 Post by Nathan » Sun May 30, 2021 1:22 pm

Norman wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:08 pm
I wouldn't have a problem with it if it includes open space that can be used by the public 75% of the time. At least this way we know that it will be maintained at a decent level while still allowing for public access, and the council would not be charged with the upkeep.

I wonder how the other clubs based in Melbourne address this, if they use closed playing fields or open space.
But even when it's available to the public, would it be useful open space? It'd be an open field with no shade or street furniture, and there would be so many caveats on what you'd be allowed to do on it so as to not compromise the playing surface. Other than the odd group kicking a ball around, I imagine it would remain empty most of the time (just like every other sports field that we treat as a synonym for "park"). How much does the community use a space like Thebarton Oval, or even a supposedly "open" space like University Oval, that isn't organised sport?

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#527 Post by NTRabbit » Sun May 30, 2021 11:23 pm

Norman wrote:
I wouldn't have a problem with it if it includes open space that can be used by the public 75% of the time. At least this way we know that it will be maintained at a decent level while still allowing for public access, and the council would not be charged with the upkeep.

I wonder how the other clubs based in Melbourne address this, if they use closed playing fields or open space.
Hawthorn and Waverley Park would be the best outcome, I'm reasonably certain the local community can use it whenever the Hawks are not, the same as any local amateurs oval.

Patrick_27

#528 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun May 30, 2021 11:37 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:23 pm
Norman wrote:

Hawthorn and Waverley Park would be the best outcome, I'm reasonably certain the local community can use it whenever the Hawks are not, the same as any local amateurs oval.
Not keen on the Gasworks site, but agree that anything similar to Waverley Park would be an ideal outcome.

For those who don't know what Waverley Park looks like nowadays, pictured below.
Attachments
waverley-park-aerial.jpg

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#529 Post by NTRabbit » Sun May 30, 2021 11:41 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:22 pm
But even when it's available to the public, would it be useful open space? It'd be an open field with no shade or street furniture, and there would be so many caveats on what you'd be allowed to do on it so as to not compromise the playing surface. Other than the odd group kicking a ball around, I imagine it would remain empty most of the time (just like every other sports field that we treat as a synonym for "park"). How much does the community use a space like Thebarton Oval, or even a supposedly "open" space like University Oval, that isn't organised sport?
Not every community open space needs to be small, shaded, and equipped with furniture and a playground. In my personal experience I think your're underestimating the community demand for a large, open playing surface like an oval or soccer pitch - there's always people looking to use my local oval when the football/cricket teams aren't, for kids playing their own games, giving the dogs a run, using remote control vehicles, you name it, and that's with "picnic equipped" small reserve and playground options also nearby.

There's room for both types, and I'd argue that with Bowden Park, Kevin Taylor Park, Emu Park, and Thomas Harkness Reserve, the latter is already well served. Though admittedly, the former also already exists the other side of Park Terrace in Mary Lee Park.

Nathan

#530 Post by Nathan » Mon May 31, 2021 9:46 am

My understanding of the intention of the Gasworks park was something more akin to Paddington Reservoir Gardens in Sydney (mixed with a bit of Carriageworks). A type of public space significantly different from what's provided by the likes of Bowden Park, Kevin Taylor Park, Emu Park, etc. The retained heritage buildings provide an opportunity that simply isn't available anywhere else. That's really my main beef with the proposal — the lost opportunity to provide something unique in Adelaide.

I'm very confident I'm not underestimating the demand for a community sports field. Mary Lee Park across Park Tce is filled with soccer fields. Outside of organised club activities, it stays pretty much empty. The few people that do go there — the odd dog walker or jogger — stick to the fringes. The pétanque area gets more casual use, and that's not very much.

As a training field, the Crows will prohibit anything that would compromise the playing surface. Dogs and remote control vehicles will surely be barred.

Nathan

#531 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:52 pm

Disappointing change in direction from RenewalSA, essentially putting apartment developments in the too-hard basket and switching to lower density townhouse developments.

Nightingale apartments sold out in a day. Developers have no problem selling apartments up and down the likes of Churchill Road and Anzac Highway. I don't believe for a second that the inability to sell apartments in a much better location (and with higher quality standards) is due to a lack of demand.
Bob Dylan said "The times they are a-changin’" and at Bowden we adapt to the times and are unafraid to embrace new ways of thinking. As such we’re making a change. From now on we’ll be shifting our focus away from high-density, multi-storey apartments towards the creation of more human-scale townhouses. The move will maintain the spacious village vibe we love at Bowden and increase housing choice for our future residents. Read more about the shift in direction here:
A CHANGE IN DIRECTION AND A PROPERTY BOOM MAKE BOWDEN A MECCA FOR DEVELOPERS WITH VISION
https://renewalsa.sa.gov.au/news/bowden ... CR0S_-xLxs

The pioneering urban infill development of Bowden in Adelaide’s inner west is experiencing an all-time high. The upswing in home-ownership in South Australia and a growing appetite for connected living close to the city has generated unprecedented momentum at the industrially chic precinct and sparked a major shift in its delivery approach.

Originally focused on high-density, multi-storey apartments, the project has pivoted towards the development of two and three-storey townhouses and more boutique-scale apartments to maintain a more spacious village vibe and tap into emerging housing preferences.

The shift will not only increase the housing choice available at Bowden and enhance the liveability of the precinct but will also increase opportunities for a wider diversity of developers (and prospective home-buyers) to live and invest in Adelaide’s most exciting city-fringe neighbourhood.

“Our change in delivery strategy has opened up opportunities for townhouse developers to be a part of the Bowden success story, especially those who may not have previously considered building in Bowden because of our former focus on higher-density development,” says Shane Wingard, Project Director Bowden at Renewal SA.

“We are experiencing a significant level of interest from both home-buyers and the wider development industry in investing in Bowden and contributing to its growth, with all 14 of the precinct’s sustainable and affordable Nightingale apartments selling out in 24-hours and all 41 of Renewal SA’s high-end townhouses known as the Guild Terraces now sold and settled.

“While it’s no surprise to us that the project has taken off given the aspirational lifestyle that Bowden provides, there’s no doubt it’s a particularly exciting time to be a part of the project,” Shane says.

For developers, Bowden offers an enviable platform to showcase their property credentials within a flagship residential development that has state significance and that will be viewed as a model for the way that communities live together for generations to come.

Being a masterplanned, government-backed initiative, development partners are also guaranteed a certainty of process that they may not experience elsewhere.

For home-buyers, Bowden offers the chance to live in a neighbourly, open, safe and leafy community, with all the benefits of a village, but in a city context, being only 2.5km from the Adelaide CBD.

“All homes are a mere stroll from Bowden Town Park, Bowden Railway Station, central hotspot Plant 4 and the much-used Outer Harbor Greenway, with the parklands and a wealth of established shops, cafes, restaurants, pubs and markets only a stone’s throw away,” Shane says.

“With a new microbrewery, restaurant, hairdresser, florist and licensed event space soon opening at Plant 4’s sister space, Plant 3, and Bowden’s new architecturally-designed childcare centre due for completion in early 2022, the liveability of the precinct is due to be enhanced even further.

“Bowden is undoubtedly fulfilling its promise to re-invent city-fringe living and the time to invest is now.”

Developers across the country are encouraged to consider current and upcoming opportunities to be a part of Bowden’s pivot towards townhouse development, with Lot 3001 Third Street Bowden now available via Expression of Interest.

A 2,461m2 land parcel in the heart of the precinct, Lot 3001 is considered ideal for medium-density townhouses that reflect the industrial design character of the precinct and that not only take cues from Bowden’s manufacturing past through texture and materials, but that also delivers a contemporary, green design with a high level of visual interest and enduring appeal.

“Bowden is a climate-smart precinct that has achieved a 6-Star Green Star communities rating—considered global best practice—and is believed to have delivered the highest concentration of Green Star homes in Australia, with every individual housing project meeting a minimum 5-Star Green Star rating,” says Shane.

“We are seeking a development partner for Lot 3001 who is interested in enhancing Bowden’s environmental credentials and demonstrating sustainable built form that will leverage Adelaide’s microclimate to achieve a minimal carbon footprint.”

A further, and major, development opportunity is soon to open at Bowden in late July 2021 with the release-to-market of the area’s former Gasworks site, a 5.65-hectare, former industrial land parcel that forms a key part of Bowden’s history and future transformation.

The market tender process will be undertaken in two-stages by Renewal SA – a Registration of Interest followed by a Request for Proposal – to best determine how to remediate and redevelop this significant historic site as a thriving, vibrant part of the Bowden neighbourhood.

The former Gasworks site is the largest surviving coal carbonisation gasworks site from the 19th and early 20th centuries in the entire state, having produced the gas to light the streets of Adelaide during the 1800s and been the catalyst for western Adelaide’s early industrial growth.

It is envisaged that future development will reuse existing structures of heritage and cultural significance in order to deliver a lively, pedestrian-friendly, mixed-use precinct that fulfils Bowden’s vision and delivers lasting benefits to the local community.

In addition to these sought-after opportunities for developers, home-seekers who have been looking to buy their own piece of Bowden will soon get their chance too, with 24 townhouses on the corner of Drayton and Second Streets soon to go on the market off-the-plan in August 2021.

Developed by Renewal SA and designed to cater for a diverse demographic and a wide economic spectrum, with options priced from $422,000 to $700,000+, the ‘Tapestry’ townhouse project will be 5-Star Green Star rated and mirror the quality, materiality and density of the now sold Guild Terraces. It will also seek to complement both the historic and emerging character of Bowden.

“The Bowden project is a frontrunner in human-centred design, sustainability and adaptive re-use, having successfully demonstrated that high quality, medium to high-density living outside of the city on well-connected transit corridors is not only possible, but desirable,” says Todd Perry, General Manager Property and Project Delivery at Renewal SA.

“Current and future development has the opportunity to capitalise on this.”

Todd believes that in addition to being an exemplar infill development for Adelaide, Bowden embodies Renewal SA’s overall mission to drive economic growth and improve the lives of South Australians.

“Our aim as the state government’s property arm is to make great places to live, support home ownership and generate jobs and investment through the transformation of property,” Todd says.

“Bowden is a living example of this mandate.

“We welcome all developers who wish to play a part in the re-imagined inner west to enquire now, while there is still land available and the chance to leave a permanent and visible legacy in one of the most diverse and successful residential projects in South Australia.”

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#532 Post by SRW » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:00 pm

The turn to townhouses is unsurprising given market trends, but it is disappointing that a 'masterplanned' community would sacrifice the land best suited to high density to something so low yield.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#533 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:52 am

It doesn't really say where these new town houses will be. If they are further away from the train station and more towards Chief Street, then I have no problem with that. If they are building town houses next to Bowden Station, that's another thing.

Nathan

#534 Post by Nathan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:52 am

Norman wrote:It doesn't really say where these new town houses will be. If they are further away from the train station and more towards Chief Street, then I have no problem with that. If they are building town houses next to Bowden Station, that's another thing.
The next release to developers, and the townhouses RenewalSA are building themselves, are the block bordered by Second, Third and Drayton Streets. (So adjacent to the Guild Townhouses, closer to the train line).

The press release reads to me as a wholesale switch to townhouses as the focus for the entire development. It would definitely be an issue if they go that way near the station. The area between the town square and the station (plus the northern side of Gibson St) should be a catalyst site. RenewalSA needs to be waaaaay more proactive in making something happen there.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#535 Post by Bob » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:25 am

Nathan wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:52 am
Norman wrote:It doesn't really say where these new town houses will be. If they are further away from the train station and more towards Chief Street, then I have no problem with that. If they are building town houses next to Bowden Station, that's another thing.
The next release to developers, and the townhouses RenewalSA are building themselves, are the block bordered by Second, Third and Drayton Streets. (So adjacent to the Guild Townhouses, closer to the train line).

The press release reads to me as a wholesale switch to townhouses as the focus for the entire development. It would definitely be an issue if they go that way near the station. The area between the town square and the station (plus the northern side of Gibson St) should be a catalyst site. RenewalSA needs to be waaaaay more proactive in making something happen there.
If it does become a new townhouse development in that section, it should be conditional that all of them be built at the same time, the Guild Terrace effort was amateurish - one townhouse sold off the plan at a time then they would build it, this approach has resulted in that particular project being dragged out over several years. The first townhouse occupants would be living in an ongoing building site environment all around them over an unacceptable timeframe.

Whereas the old Caroma factory at Norwood also developed by Renewal SA , sold all of the townhouses off the plan on the basis that the townhouse component would all built along with the new supermarket within 12+ months, and all of them sold before building even got underway - it gives buyers more certainty.

At the end of the day it is obvious it has been a struggle to get the demand from buyers for townhouses at Bowden, so the approach might have to be different than the Guild Terrace effort to speed the building project completion time?

claybro

#536 Post by claybro » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:29 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:52 am

Renewal SA are to town planning what the DPTI are to transport. Just mid level bureaucrats with uni degrees and old public service hangers on playing at stuff with no real world experience and a heap of taxpayers money. Unfortunately- it will not be surprising if Bowden turns out to be very mediocre and cheap.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#537 Post by Norman » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:03 am

Took a bit of a drive through Bowden yesterday and recorded it on the GoPro. Here's what I saw:

https://youtu.be/nL_4rQVrYls

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#538 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:26 pm

Can someone please post this article, cheers: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... our=append

Nathan

#539 Post by Nathan » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:06 pm

Rival developers threaten Adelaide Crows’ planned headquarters at Brompton Gasworks
The Adelaide Crows’ quest for a new club headquarters is under threat of being derailed by stiff competition for the Brompton Gasworks site.

The Adelaide Crows’ quest for a new headquarters is again at risk of being thwarted, this time by rival bids for the inner-west Brompton Gasworks, where the AFL club is proposing a housing/commercial development.

Three rival bids will be lodged for the 5.81ha site, which the Crows and Melbourne-based developer Pelligra want to transform into the club’s new home as part of the redevelopment.

Four property developers, including the Crows’ consortium, have been short-listed from ten interested firms by State Government land agency Renewal SA for a formal request for proposal process to deliver a combination of housing, retail, commercial and recreational spaces.

The Crows last year abandoned plans for a training and administrative facility at the aquatic centre in North Adelaide, following resistance from Adelaide City Council.

Adelaide Football Club chairman John Olsen said Brompton and Thebarton sites were being assessed for a new administration, high performance and community facility, which would be an elite training base for Adelaide’s men’s and women’s players and coaches, as well as a destination for Crows members and fans.

“We have a board-appointed working committee, comprising both internal and external expertise, leading this project and we are also continuing to assess and finalise due diligence on Thebarton Oval, as well as the Brompton site,” Mr Olsen said.

The Sunday Mail in May revealed the Crows were zeroing in on the Brompton site, ahead of Thebarton, in the Pelligra joint venture. The federal government has granted the Crows $15 million to relocate their headquarters from West Lakes.

But it is understood the Crows’ bid is predicted to realise up to $25m less profit than rivals, because the club administration and oval complex reduces the amount of more lucrative housing.

Cleaning up land contaminated during the gasworks’ operation from 1863 to 2000 is predicted to cost up to $60m.

Renewal SA chief executive Chris Menz confirmed four “local and interstate” developers had been short-listed but declined to release details, citing a confidential bidding process.

“After a highly competitive registration of interest process for the remediation and redevelopment of the former Gasworks site at Bowden – in which a significant number of a high-calibre submissions were received – Renewal SA is pleased to have short-listed four developers for this city-defining project,” he said.

The other firms are understood to include Adelaide-based Commercial & General, which ironically is redeveloping the Crows’ West Lakes headquarters in a $1bn, 1300-home project. The other two are thought to be Melbourne-based MAB Corporation and the Sydney-based Macquarie Group.

The short-listed proponents will have six weeks from the October 19 opening of the request for proposal process to submit their plans. This will include their vision, draft master plan, firm financial offer, detailed remediation strategy and construction program.

Renewal SA is “targeting” to select a preferred proponent by December 31 for the site, which is bordered by Chief St, Second St, Drayton St and the northwestern suburban train line.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#540 Post by baytram366 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:31 am

I hope I am not the only one that hopes for all of the existing old stone structures are retained no matter what development happens on the rest of the land. This area is of high historical value and should be only added to, not demolished and wiped clear
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections