Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Contact:

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by Nathan »

metro wrote:
crawf wrote:It would also be good if the visually intrusive Torrens Island power station could be demolished and relocated far away from Adelaide


I would rather see Torrens Island Power Station given heritage listing and preserved to educate people decades/centuries in the future on how the people in our time generated electricity. It was bad enough seeing the demolition of the Stanvac Oil Refinery, a huge 20th century industrial landmark of the Southern suburbs and a significant part of our state's history and a symbol of our dependence on oil.. now gone forever, to lose Torrens Island as well would be a disaster. :roll:
If only we built beautiful power stations here.
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by rev »

If Dubai and China can build islands in the middle of the oceans out of nothing, then I'm sure we can manage to replace soil at the salt pans with suitable soil for an urban development.

The salt pans are an eyesore.
It's a large area, and when people are complaining about urban sprawl to the north and south of the metro fringes, and the lack of public transport options, the cost of infrastructure for such far flung areas, then I would have thought that such an opportunity to develop a large parcel of land into thousands of homes close to the city would be something that quite a few people on this forum would be in favor of.
bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by bits »

metro wrote: Certainly not the most attractive thing, and I sure wouldn't want to live next door to it, but it is kind of essential. Besides, there is a water treatment plant in Glenelg right next to million dollar beachfront property.
The Glenelg plant is not at all comparable to the Bolivar sludge drying pans.

PS we dont need to save a power station to show future generation how we use to generate power, they could read a paper on it. Or fly to some other struggling or abandoned city which still has one and never had the money to even pull it down; probably a city that wasted time on keeping the thing in the first place.
Could you imagine how much junk humans would have accumulated over the past 200,000 years if we kept everything everyone ever made just to show future generations their version of someone else's commonly made invention.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5434
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by crawf »

Did some research on Bolivar and found this
A STUDY on building up to 30,000 homes west of Port Wakefield Rd near Bolivar will be at least six years away.
An SA Water spokesman this week said a feasibility study on moving the Bolivar Wastewater Treatment Works to open up the land around it for housing would hopefully start by 2016 and be completed in 2020.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 6801422136
- The treatment plant would be relocated past Gawler River.
He said a State Government preliminary study into building 10,000 homes on the Dry Creek saltpans - the council's other major housing vision - should be a priority in the meantime.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Contact:

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by ChillyPhilly »

It's like a massively watered-down reincarnation of the Multi-function Polis.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.
User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Contact:

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by monotonehell »

Nathan wrote:If only we built beautiful power stations here.
I've never thought of Battersea PS as "beautiful" before. Not that I disagree.
battersea-power-station-control-room-of-station.jpg
battersea-power-station-control-room-of-station.jpg (222.7 KiB) Viewed 7712 times
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1020
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by Goodsy »

Land is now selling for Eden Two Wells

http://edentwowells.com.au/
bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by bits »

GoodSmackUp wrote:Land is now selling for Eden Two Wells

http://edentwowells.com.au/
Does Two Wells count as northern suburbs? I think it counts as rural town.

I love the idea of 1500+sqm blocks but it is a long way from the city.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1020
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by Goodsy »

bits wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote:Land is now selling for Eden Two Wells

http://edentwowells.com.au/
Does Two Wells count as northern suburbs? I think it counts as rural town.

I love the idea of 1500+sqm blocks but it is a long way from the city.
It could be considered the very edge of Adelaide, It's less than an hour away from the city.
User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3270
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Contact:

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by Nathan »

Unless you owned a herd of animals, why does anyone a 1500+sqm block?
User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2967
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by rhino »

Nathan wrote:Unless you owned a herd of animals, why does anyone a 1500+sqm block?
To build the house you want to live in without being restricted to a small footprint.
To have a shed/workshop because you enjoy making things.
To have a veggie garden because you like to grow your own veggies.
To have some fruit trees - same reason.
To have a garden because you enjoy gardening.
To have a swimming pool.
To have a tennis court.
To have a putting green (yes, I've seen a house with one).
To have room for your friends to come over.
To have room for your kids' friends to come over.
To grow trees.
To have space for a dog or two to run around in.
To have chickens.
Because your daughter wants a pony.
Because your son want space for his skateboard ramps.
Because you like fishing or sailing and have a boat and need to house it.


You surprise me Nathan - I usually find you to be a voice of reason, but I find your comment above absolutely ridiculous. Sorry.
cheers,
Rhino
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Contact:

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by ChillyPhilly »

12-month extension granted to Buckland Park.

After the recent floods, one would think that it'd be cancelled in full.

http://indaily.com.au/news/2016/10/14/y ... velopment/
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1020
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by Goodsy »

ChillyPhilly wrote:12-month extension granted to Buckland Park.

After the recent floods, one would think that it'd be cancelled in full.

http://indaily.com.au/news/2016/10/14/y ... velopment/
that's interesting, considering they bulldozed all the preliminary work they started at the Angle Vale Road/Port Wakefield Road Intersection.

Although the roads are already mapped out on google earth


Image
Blimp
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by Blimp »

I can't see it going ahead. Surely potential buyers would have heard all about the recent floods and its impacts on the area and would be looking elsewhere. Its not like there's a shortage of crummy sprawling suburbs popping up around the place anyway.

Should have never been proposed, the state should be retaining this land for primary industry!
User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

Post by PeFe »

We can only hope that the developer re-assesses the chances of selling houses on the Buckland Park flood plain.
Given South Australia's low population growth (9750 people or 0.6%, http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/planning/population) last year, hopefully Walker Corporation will give up by its own volition, allowing the South Australian government to re-consider their approval for new housing in this area.
The flooding has provided an opportunity for all parties to exit this embarrassing housing project.
Post Reply