News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Is it too late to save the Port?

#61 Post by skyliner » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:06 pm

Update on the city of Adelaide - no final decision yet (delayed) - will be the end of this month now. Our situation is getting better by the day however. We've had a visit from a British representative re what is to happen and he said the ship should be here.('Should come home')

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

Famed clipper Adelaide finally coming home from Scotland

#62 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:31 pm

THE historic City of Adelaide clipper ship is finally coming home.
Adelaide has won a bid to save the world's oldest surviving composite clipper from dhdemolition in Scotland and return it to South Australia's shores for the first time since 1887.

Scottish Culture and Home Affairs Minister Fiona Hyslop has just announced the coup from the decks of the 146-year-old vessel stating that sending it jlto Adelaide was the ``only viable alternative to deconstruction''.

From 1864 to 1887 the world heritage-listed clipper brought British and German migrants to the fledgling colony of South Australia. One in five South Australians can trace their ancestry back to the ship.

more: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5911307313

yousername
High Rise Poster!

Re: Famed clipper Adelaide finally coming home from Scotland

#63 Post by yousername » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:41 pm

One in five? That's amazing.
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#64 Post by Wayno » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:37 am

yes, this is indeed good news, especially for Port Adelaide. I'm unsure why the 'bring the clipper home' group did not push for a $1m donation during the recent federal election - seems like a no brainer to me. I believe they are still way short of funds.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#65 Post by Will » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Wayno wrote:yes, this is indeed good news, especially for Port Adelaide. I'm unsure why the 'bring the clipper home' group did not push for a $1m donation during the recent federal election - seems like a no brainer to me. I believe they are still way short of funds.
They should launch a public appeal. I am sure there are many people in the state who would be willing to donate money for such a cause.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by Wayno » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:16 pm

Will wrote:They should launch a public appeal. I am sure there are many people in the state who would be willing to donate money for such a cause.
Yep, they have done so - but with limited success to date ==> http://cityofadelaide.org.au

From the website:
Our Vision is to …
* Preserve the world heritage clipper ship City of Adelaide,
* Promote knowledge of this precious ship's heritage significance to South Australia, Australia and the international community,
* Enrich lives through an interpretative museum and community venue, and,
* Provide enjoyment for visitors to the maritime heritage tourist precinct of Port Adelaide and for the local community.

Our Mission is to save the historic clipper ship City of Adelaide and preserve the ship for future generations, by …
* Transporting the ship from Scotland to South Australia.
* Protecting and securing the ship under cover, and on land, in Port Adelaide.
* Developing an interpretive museum and community venue that educates, entertains and involves visitors.
* Providing visitors with an appreciation of …
o the unique construction of the ship,
o the traditional skills of the 19th century English shipbuilders,
o the traditional skills of the crew of the ship,
o the life on board for the passengers and crew,
o the trade importance of the clipper ships to the fledgling colony of South Australia in transporting goods, grain, wool, wine, etc
o the great Clipper Races from Australia to the European markets.
* Linking to other SA tourist destinations such as Pt Augusta, Burra, Paddle Steamers, ships graveyard, Migration Museum, SA Maritime Museum.
* Creating critical mass together with other local museums, heritage organisations and community groups.[/quote]
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick

#67 Post by Waewick » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:52 pm

is it going to sit in a council area?

perhaps some money from them given its going to be a tourist attraction?

I gather they have tried to get some celebrities behind it?

do we know how much they have ?

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#68 Post by JamesXander » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:55 pm

I hope they put it in a good location, where the tourist potential is maximised. I will donate to a campaign if funds are needed.

Anyway, heres an idea I've had for sometime in regards to the clipper.

I've almost thought that it would be a great edition to the Adelaide River Torrens riverfront. I know the clipper never sailed along the MIGHTY TORRENS RIVER/creek, however it is called The city of Adelaide. It would literally become an instant tourist attraction, and would be widely appreciated. It would be part of the new riverfront developement, and in terms of economic benefiets would attract more people then if it were to sit at Port Adelaide.

That said I can see its controversial, and Port Adelaide is the obvious place to put it. I just think it put it on say the north side of the torrens would be an awesome sight, and a great attraction!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by Wayno » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:12 pm

capitalist wrote:is it going to sit in a council area?
perhaps some money from them given its going to be a tourist attraction?
I gather they have tried to get some celebrities behind it?
do we know how much they have ?
i'm unsure on all counts - you need to ask them direct.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#70 Post by Hooligan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Just an idea for the clipper i have is to do something similar to this museum i visited in Sweden:
http://www.vasamuseet.se/
(You can change it to english on the top of that link)

So basically it is a museum with the ship being the focal point and contains lots of displays about her construction, fateful maiden voyage, salvaging and lots of info about life in Stockholm back in the 17th century.

I think we could do something similar with the City Of Adelaide.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#71 Post by JamesXander » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:25 pm

If Scotland are contributing to its return I can only hope they get recognition. Its a great thing they are doing IMO. Such a small issue for their country(state?), but means alot for us. Good on em.

skyliner

#72 Post by skyliner » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Been hoping Pt Adelaide would get this. Great news. A long way to to go to get it to public inspection however. I gather Cruickshank's corner is the new location - up near Birkenhead br. (east side). I hope in the end it has it's masts refitted with rigging rather than remains a hulk like at present. It would be a far greater attraction if seen - such as like the Buffalo. The vision for the area promises to make a major tourist drawcard for Pt Adelaide - they are talking of the level of Sovereign Hill in Ballarat. Will have to wait and see.

JamesXander's idea is interesting also.

Hope they get gov't financial support - it is in their interests condidering the significant heritage value it has.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Jazz
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#73 Post by Jazz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:17 am

This is excellent good news for South Australia amongst all the doom and gloom of the GFC, hung election result, public service cutbacks etc. I would like to see people register to assist in this campaign in whatever way possible. This campaign is being driven by a small number of people who have achieved success without any assistance or financial help from govt. Lets all get behind it and make it a community effort. The clipper will enrich our city's heritage, give life to our history and promote tourism in Port Adelaide! We can't let it fail for lack of interest! :D

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#74 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Trust wants new home for old ship

THE City Of Adelaide should be berthed and restored at the slip where she was repaired many times as a working vessel, the local branch of the National Trust says.

The State Government has flagged a maritime precinct at Cruickshank’s Corner, which the City of Adelaide Preservation Trust hopes will be home to the 146-year-old clipper, along with the Falie and the Nelcebee, in a historic display village.

But the Port of Adelaide Branch of the National Trust, while praising the Preservation Trust’s win this month to bring the clipper home from Scotland, says a berth on the north bank of the Port’s inner harbour would be more appropriate.

The branch’s interim chairwoman, Pat Netschitowsky, said Dunnikier’s Slip, in the historic Fletcher’s Slip precinct, should be the ship’s final resting place, as that was where she was often worked on after surviving voyages bringing migrants from Europe.

more: http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... -old-ship/

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

Re: Is it too late to save the Port?

#75 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Traders market revival of Port

THE revival of the Port town centre will be driven from the grassroots, starting with a new monthly market in the Port Mall, its organiser says.

Semaphore cafe owner Stuart Gifford says the renaissance of other Australian ports began at the grassroots level, and Le Fevre Peninsula traders and community groups have lost patience with government and developers.

Mr Gifford will launch the Third Place Community Market, for high-class fashion, art and craft, environmental displays and live entertainment, on Saturday, October 16.

“This is the first initiative in many years which will kickstart a lasting revival, starting from the Port centre and radiating out,” he said.

“We can no longer wait for the trucks to go and the trams to come.

more: http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... l-of-port/