News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#961 Post by how good is he » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:06 pm

Rev, can you just be specific and give us examples of what you mean with some real life examples of what "much more iconic development should go there." I didn't say anything was remarkable or a particular standout about these developments but if you could tell us what you consider IS a remarkable or particular standout development that would suit these sites in Pt Adelaide, then we may better understand your point of view or be better informed.
My point is not a "anything is better than nothing mentality" but more about being realistic as its easy just to bitch and complain about any development, so maybe be constructive and show us your alternative?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#962 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:53 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:49 pm
how good is he wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:47 pm
Just to clarify your point, can you give us examples of what you mean with some real life examples of what "much more iconic development should go there." Its great to want/expect better of any new development but realistically what is proposed is far better than what is there now or has been on any of those sites for the past 50 years.
I wish people in this state would drop the something is better then nothing mentality.

What's remarkable or stand out about any of the developments in the area?
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this (finally, we agree on something!) That said, in the case of Port Adelaide, I wonder whether people's eagerness for anything to happen there is simply to avoid nothing happening at all which has been the case for years. However, I don't see any need to rush into developing this particular portion waterfront because once residents move into the neighbouring 'suburbs' currently under construction the demand for civic spaces and hospitality venues will increase and will inevitably see a better use of these kinds of sites.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#963 Post by how good is he » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:05 pm

Sorry but aren’t we talking about a proposed brand new hotel with bars, dining, accomm. ie a major hospitality venue anyway? If you want to pick on the architectural merit of the building I can understand that however I’m not sure what you expect to be built here? To Rev, saying iconic do you mean comparable to say the Guggenheim or The Louvre or The Shard or what comparable iconic building exactly would you want/expect built here?

Neko Neko Peko Peko
Gold-Member ;)

#964 Post by Neko Neko Peko Peko » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 pm

I suspect Rev means iconic in regards to doing something more exciting architecturally. I realise the Docklands in Melbourne isn't really a successful example, but it's full of crazy buildings - each one isn't particular famous, but they are different and you can tell they've had some fun planning them. This is what I'd like to see done more at the Port instead of the bland predictable proposal

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#965 Post by rev » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:34 am

What Neko said above pretty much.

We've lost the opportunity to turn the Torrens riverbank into something iconic and standout, we're losing a large portion of the inner Port area to housing/suburbia.
This little stretch on either side of the birkenhead bridge is the last opportunity to have some outstanding waterfront development on a major Adelaide waterway.
This buildings design has no inspiration. Its not a bad design, but the area deserves a lot better.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#966 Post by how good is he » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:45 am

Yes we can all agree that the proposals may be predictable, un-inspiring, bland, generic & its a missed opportunity for the last piece of waterfront blah blah blah. However what is far harder is giving actual examples of alternative buildings or developments that they would prefer here. Docklands is the only suggestion given so far and sure there are many buildings which are varied/quite different but I'm yet to think of a building there that would make much difference here, let alone be iconic. Any other examples of what we should be aspiring to here?

Llessur2002

#967 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:58 am

how good is he wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:45 am
I'm yet to think of a building there that would make much difference here, let alone be iconic. Any other examples of what we should be aspiring to here?
I've said it before, Portsmouth's Spinnaker Tower (or something like it) would look awesome here:

It's 170m tall, would be an instant landmark and tourist attraction and would look great from cruise ships entering Outer Harbor. It also fits the dock setting perfectly.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#968 Post by SRW » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:05 pm

Port Adelaide is not gonna Bilbao its way out longterm decline.

Any project that brings life to the place is a welcome project. Only once life rebuilds there will the value of the place be recognised enough for the type of iconic architecture you're all coveting. We need to build up to it. This proposal is one step on the way.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#969 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:40 pm

The Port could get a massive profile boost with some creative lighting featuring the Birkenhead Bridge as the centrepiece. Upgrading the lighting on the lighthouse and surrounding buildings would also add significant vibe at least at night, for a relatively low cost.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#970 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:47 pm

Dock One, Port Adelaide 17 March 2020.
From https://www.facebook.com/dockone.portad ... 9149241598
Attachments
90057632_549649155908264_7919548411081129984_o.jpg
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

rev

#971 Post by rev » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:15 am

Honey of a City wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:40 pm
The Port could get a massive profile boost with some creative lighting featuring the Birkenhead Bridge as the centrepiece.
No point polishing a turd.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#972 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri May 15, 2020 4:12 pm

$61,000 grant from SA Government Education Department.

NRM was delighted to receive news today that the SA Govt has allocated funding to enable the complete replacement of all of the skylights in the two exhibition pavilions at Port Adelaide.

The 31 year old museum pavilions, owned by the SA Government, had 'life expired' skylights and there was no other option but to have them replaced and with more resilient product. The risk of damage to the SA Govt owned rolling stock housed inside, in addition to museum owned locos and carriages due to the old skylights was just too great.

We are eagerly awaiting the big job, and also when the museum can reopen to the public in the future.

https://www.facebook.com/NRMPortAdelaide
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

rev

#973 Post by rev » Tue May 19, 2020 11:29 am

SRW wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:05 pm
Port Adelaide is not gonna Bilbao its way out longterm decline.

Any project that brings life to the place is a welcome project. Only once life rebuilds there will the value of the place be recognised enough for the type of iconic architecture you're all coveting. We need to build up to it. This proposal is one step on the way.
Sure. But there is no master plan that anyone is working from.
Dock One is its own development, and Fletchers Slip its own thing as well. Then there's New Port.
What's the plan for the existing heart of the Port?
We've got a plain jane hotel thats gone up, a government office building near the waterfront out of all places, and a new hotel proposal on the water front.
The latter three sure, more of with good design.
But Dock One, Fletchers Slip..from the looks of it they're going to turn parts of the water front into delphin island type suburbia. Thats not what the Port should become.

Its proximity to the beaches, the fact its on the water front of the Port River, makes it the ideal location for high rise apartments, night life, cafes, restaurants, hotels and so on. As we all know there's abundance of old hotels, some open some closed, that would all take off. Think of it as a new Glenelg type destination.

An ideal tourist attraction would be a Collins Class submarine being put on display when the first one us retired.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#974 Post by Eurostar » Tue May 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Making the Port more family friendly area would be good. Kayaks/canoes, amusement arcade, sideshows, ferris wheel etc.
Attachments
350px-Chelsea_Piers.jpg
350px-Chelsea_Piers.jpg (35.49 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
800px-Chelsea-front.jpg

Patrick_27

#975 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:53 pm

With the recent stepping down of UoA Vice Chancellor and such, there was mention in the media that the university were seriously exploring a northern suburbs campus, and were having these discussions with City of Playford, most likely to position themselves in competition with UNISA at Mawson Lakes, however with Tafe at Port Adelaide touted for closure, I can't see why UoA wouldn't consider the Port? It's an emerging hub both for residential and possibly business, there would already be a campus-worth of facilities that the university could tap into and from the government's position, it would help strengthen the area in terms of day-time foot-traffic, might also create a student culture down there to help sustain some of the bars. I seem to recall back when Newport Keys was on the table that a university campus was part of that proposal, but I believe the idea there was to entice interstate/overseas institutions to set it up.