[U/C] Burnside Village (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: Burnside Village (Extension)

#256 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:10 pm

The whole northern end is fenced off and demolition has started.
Attachments
5AEF5873-3DB7-4B20-A09C-ADE2EC0216C4.jpeg

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#257 Post by how good is he » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:51 pm

Ok so it’s new cinemas and dining but it also says 80 NEW speciality stores ... has any of these tenants/retailers etc been named (seems like a lot)?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#258 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:51 pm

how good is he wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:51 pm
Ok so it’s new cinemas and dining but it also says 80 NEW speciality stores ... has any of these tenants/retailers etc been named (seems like a lot)?
Some brands have left the centre for the upgrade (i.e. Kikki K), a lot of the banks that were situated on Greenhill Road have moved the edge of the centre (two of which taking up space previously a part of Village Pharmacy) so presumably the banks will will spread out in the new section of the centre and Village Pharmacy will spread out themselves back to their former footprint. There are two mini-major spots in the upgrade, if they can't secure two big international clothing retailers (I suspect they will get H&M, seeing as they're already set up in SA and talking more stores, but I can't see them getting Uniqlo), then we can probably expect to see something like a Cotton On/Factorie/Typo superstore. As for cinemas, so long as Theo Maras has a good rapport with the centre owners, PalaceNova will likely fill the cinema space, they're most suited to the centre clientele. If not them, I could see a GU Film House fitting in this spot. In terms of dining, there probably won't be any recognisable brands there. That's my early guess.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#259 Post by Eurostar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:19 pm

Tenants I think might work here:

Hudson's Coffee
Bakery On O'Connell
Fasta Pasta

Nort

#260 Post by Nort » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:08 am

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:19 pm
Tenants I think might work here:

Hudson's Coffee
Bakery On O'Connell
Fasta Pasta
They already have a bakery in the center, I can't see them adding a second.

Nathan

#261 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:56 am

Fasta Pasta? That's one step away from Cafe Primo. Can't see them being a good fit for Burnside at all.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#262 Post by Ben » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:10 am

I think it was a pisstake?

bits
Legendary Member!

#263 Post by bits » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:19 am

Fasta Pasta likely works anywhere.
Where does Cafe Brunelli rank for everyone? Is it above or below Fasta Pasta?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#264 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:40 am

bits wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:19 am
Fasta Pasta likely works anywhere.
Probably on par now that they're just opened in Salisbury

EBG

#265 Post by EBG » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:04 pm

7/3/2020 - Most of the demolition is nearly finished with only the post office at the eastern (Portrush Rd) end and the former ANZ bank at the western end remaining.
The rubbish is being sorted for recycling.
Please click on pictures for bigger.
Attachments
20200307_burside 2.jpg
20200307_burside 1.jpg

EBG

#266 Post by EBG » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:24 pm

Update for 15/3/2020 the old post office on the corner of Portrush Rd and Greenhill road and the ANZ bank have now been demolished. Please click on pictures for bigger.
Attachments
20200315_Glenside 1.jpg
20200315_Glenside 2.jpg

Waewick

[U/C] Re: [COM] Re: Burnside Village (Extension)

#267 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:58 pm

bits wrote:Fasta Pasta likely works anywhere.
I think people underestimate Fasta Pasta

Could see it working at the Village. One of its beat stores was in Burnside (shut down because of management iasues rather than profit)

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#268 Post by Ben » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:31 pm

Unfortunately this is now on hold once demolition is completed this week.

From the Advertiser:
A substantial redevelopment of Burnside Village Shopping Centre has been put on hold as the owners grapple with the fall out from the coronavirus crisis.

THE $360 million redevelopment of the Burnside Village Shopping Centre, which broke ground in February, has been put on hold.

Demolition works on the corner of Greenhill Rd and Portrush Rd will be completed next week and “the site maintained for development’’, owners, the Cohen Group, said.

At this stage, there is no clarity about when the project will be restarted.

“The unprecedented and rapidly escalating social and economic impact of COVID-19 will result in a delay of the Stage Six expansion of Burnside Village until there’s greater clarity within the economic environment,’' the group said in a statement.

“The Cohen Group is still working on plans for the project with key stakeholders but the coronavirus is having an impact on these plans and it is uncertain how it will affect the project timing.

“In the short term, the Group will focus on the operations of Burnside Village and its commercial and industrial property portfolio and supporting its current tenants, staff and customers through one of the most challenging social and economic periods in our history.

“The Cohen Group has a long and successful history in the property industry and is in a strong position to work through the current environment.

“In the meantime, demolition works on the Stage Six expansion site will be completed over the next week and the site maintained for development.

“The Cohen Group appreciates the support it has received from the community, project partners, tenants, Council and Government for the expansion and looks forward to proceeding with development in a stronger economic environment.’’

The development was planned to be three storeys high, and include an alfresco dining precinct with up to 12 restaurants, a “luxury cinema”, around 90 specialty stores over two levels and approximately 600 underground spaces, linked to the existing basement car park.

It was expected to create 1000 jobs one finished.

Property Council executive director Daniel Gannon said there was a strong need for targeted and sensible stimulus to keep the property sector viable during the crisis.

“South Australia's economy is facing significant challenges arising from the COVID-19 crisis, and the property sector is no different,’' he said.

“The impacts are globally indiscriminate, and we’re seeing this felt locally.

“This heightens the need for targets and sensible stimulus to keep hard hats and steel caps on workers across construction sites in Adelaide.

“South Australia will get through this, but it means that business will be done differently over coming months as we transition from ‘survival phase’ to ‘recovery phase’.’’

Demolition at the project started in February.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#269 Post by Ben » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:39 am

I’ve heard Zara are having a closing down sale. Does anyone know if this is true?

Patrick_27

#270 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:34 am

Ben wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:39 am
I’ve heard Zara are having a closing down sale. Does anyone know if this is true?
Haven't heard anything but this doesn't surprise me, Zara are closing a lot of their smaller, subsidiary brand stores across Europe and they've been touting a jump from Burnside for ages (ever since they relocated their Australian offices from the centre) however if they don't have a city location and no announcements for an opening at any of the big Westfields, could this spell an end to Zara in SA?