COM: Adelaide Showgrounds Redevelopment | $35m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

COM: Adelaide Showgrounds Redevelopment | $35m

#1 Post by rogue » Wed May 02, 2007 12:11 pm

From AdelaideNow....
$35m for exhibition hall

May 02, 2007 11:00am

THE Federal Government will provide $35 million to build a state-of-the-art exhibition hall at the Wayville Showgrounds.

The building will replace Centennial Hall which will be demolished. It has been boarded up since 2005 because of safety concerns.
Finance Minister Nick Minchin said today the grant recognised the importance of the showgrounds which attracted about one million visitors each year.

"The funding is a major investment by the Howard government in the future of the showground and the economic success of South Australia in the years ahead," Senator Minchin said.

"This project will bring a new impetus to the showground site and enable much greater use of the showground throughout the year."

The showgrounds are also evaluating a major proposal to upgrade the equestrian facilities with with new stabling and an indoor arena. MORE SHORTLY

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2 Post by rhino » Wed May 02, 2007 2:49 pm

You're quick, Rogue! I was just going to post that article myself. The renders look good, but I don't know how to get them on here. They're on the Adelaide Now website.
cheers,
Rhino

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Al » Wed May 02, 2007 3:32 pm

Anyone smell an election coming up?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Wed May 02, 2007 4:00 pm

What does the current building look like?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by Cruise » Wed May 02, 2007 5:08 pm

That will be great for the sexpo lol

Mants
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Mants » Wed May 02, 2007 5:16 pm

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by crawf » Wed May 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Looks very nice.

Apparently the Mad Mouse is getting demolished, though a new and allot more smoother roller coaster will replace it.

Its about time that outdated and dangerous ride got replaced.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Will409 » Wed May 02, 2007 6:50 pm

I have noticed that the Madmouse does really look as if it is past its used by date. When I last went for a ride on it is 2005, I noticed one section had a worn out weld on the frame. On the curve above the platform, whenever a car went over that section of track, the frame would actually seperate and bounce a small amount and then drop back down again after the car had passed over. A simple red weld with an arc welder would have easily fixed it.

It will be a bit of a shame to see the Madmouse make its last run since it has formed memories in so many people over the years but we have needed something new for a while.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by bmw boy » Thu May 03, 2007 11:37 pm

this looks great

according to 10 news as well as Centennial Hall.... Duncan Hall & The old Investigator Science Center building (now Edge Christian church) will also make way for the new building.

rhino

#10 Post by rhino » Fri May 04, 2007 2:21 pm

I will definately be on the Mad Mouse this year for one last run! I will miss that much more than Centennial Hall, I wish they would build another one instead of a roller coaster :( A really big Mad Mouse would be fantastic!
cheers,
Rhino

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by bmw boy » Fri May 04, 2007 2:33 pm

rhino wrote:I will definately be on the Mad Mouse this year for one last run! I will miss that much more than Centennial Hall, I wish they would build another one instead of a roller coaster :( A really big Mad Mouse would be fantastic!
.... is the mad mouse not a roller coaster??

rhino

#12 Post by rhino » Fri May 04, 2007 2:38 pm

bmw boy wrote:
rhino wrote:I will definately be on the Mad Mouse this year for one last run! I will miss that much more than Centennial Hall, I wish they would build another one instead of a roller coaster :( A really big Mad Mouse would be fantastic!
Definately not. A rollercoaster has a number of cars joined together and offers a smoother ride and motion sickness. The Mad Mouse, being single cars, can offer a very different ride due to the fact that it can be thrown around a lot more. You will never get a rollercoaster taking sharp bends at the speed the old Mouse does.
cheers,
Rhino

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Tom » Fri May 04, 2007 2:53 pm

What a shame though about the frontage of Centenary Hall it would of been nice to have some at the front that would be a reminder of our past as well.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by bmw boy » Fri May 04, 2007 2:58 pm

rhino wrote:
bmw boy wrote:
Definately not. A rollercoaster has a number of cars joined together and offers a smoother ride and motion sickness. The Mad Mouse, being single cars, can offer a very different ride due to the fact that it can be thrown around a lot more. You will never get a rollercoaster taking sharp bends at the speed the old Mouse does.

hmmm, i suppose you are correct, although generally speaking i thought the mad mad wouldve been classed as a roller coaster

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by crawf » Sun May 06, 2007 2:09 am

Exhibition Precinct Masterplan