COM: SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre | $100m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

Re: #COM: $100m State Swimming Centre

#406 Post by pushbutton » Mon May 16, 2011 10:43 pm

It's having the roof replaced (very much needed as last time I went it was raining, inside and outside!)

That is supposed to be the first step in a staged redevelopment which supposedly will make it more focused on family leisure water activities and fun rather than trying to attract major sporting events as the Marion centre has focussed on.

Nothing much is certain yet (apart from the roof replacement) but let's hope in the coming years it will turn into something really good! I'm thinking wave-pool, a few decent waterslides and a lazy river as a minimum.

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#407 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue May 17, 2011 4:59 pm

pushbutton wrote:It's having the roof replaced (very much needed as last time I went it was raining, inside and outside!)

That is supposed to be the first step in a staged redevelopment which supposedly will make it more focused on family leisure water activities and fun rather than trying to attract major sporting events as the Marion centre has focussed on.

Nothing much is certain yet (apart from the roof replacement) but let's hope in the coming years it will turn into something really good! I'm thinking wave-pool, a few decent waterslides and a lazy river as a minimum.
Thanks for letting me know!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Omicron

#408 Post by Omicron » Wed May 18, 2011 12:44 am

Having been past quite a few times, it's a rather strange-looking building in a strange place.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#409 Post by pushbutton » Wed May 18, 2011 7:28 pm

Assuming the last post refers to the SA aquatic and leisure centre and not the adelaide aquatic centre I completely disagree. I think it's actually turned out to be a very good looking building and the location is excellent.

ghs

#410 Post by ghs » Sat May 21, 2011 6:12 pm

I checked it out today.

Overall I think its quite good. It's $7.20 (from memory) to enter and
$2 for each waterslide ride and another couple of dollars to use the saunas.

I did not try the waterslides. It's difficult to see what the spacebowl is like
as I could only see the outside.

The serious swimming pools are in a separate section to the kids area
(while at North Adelaide the kids section is quite close to the lap pools).

The're 1 spa and for some reason there was a cover on it and a reserved sign
outside.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#411 Post by pushbutton » Sun May 22, 2011 12:28 pm

Plus there's also another spa next to the waterslides entrance and the learners pool. It's not exactly hot water in there but it's a pretty decent spa otherwise.

I agree though the spa you're referring to hasn't been open yet on any of the 3 times I've been so far.

The Scooter Guy

#412 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun May 22, 2011 12:31 pm

Any interior shots? I'm looking forward to going there!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Vee
Legendary Member!

#413 Post by Vee » Mon May 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Great news!
Swimming Australia has awarded the SA Aquatic and Leisure Centre in Marion the rights to hosts the 2012 Australian Swimming Championships. The Championships will be included in the 2012 London Olympic and Paralympic Games selection criteria, with Australia's best expected to take to the Adelaide pool in March.

The event will be held at the Aquatic Centre from 15 - 22 March, 2012.
Swimming Australia CEO Kevin Neil said the announcement confirmed that Adelaide now had one of the best swimming facilities in the country.
More

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#414 Post by Wayno » Mon May 23, 2011 3:25 pm

well done to all involved in winning this event!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#415 Post by Matt » Mon May 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Vee wrote:Great news!
Swimming Australia has awarded the SA Aquatic and Leisure Centre in Marion the rights to hosts the 2012 Australian Swimming Championships. The Championships will be included in the 2012 London Olympic and Paralympic Games selection criteria, with Australia's best expected to take to the Adelaide pool in March.

The event will be held at the Aquatic Centre from 15 - 22 March, 2012.
Swimming Australia CEO Kevin Neil said the announcement confirmed that Adelaide now had one of the best swimming facilities in the country.
More
"...will be included in the 2012 London Olympic and Paralympic Games selection criteria..."

Are these the actual Olympic trials or what? (ie, do swimmers directly qualify for the Olympic team at this event in Adelaide?)

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#416 Post by stumpjumper » Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 pm

I agree that attracting the Olympic trials is a great thing, but I can't see why the amount of taxpayers' funds used to buy the event is, now that we have it, still 'commercial in confidence'. What competition are we keeping the information from?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#417 Post by pushbutton » Mon May 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Can't say I'm excited about this event. It's just a short one-off event which I will have no interest in watching. Centres such as this should be for the benefit of ordinary everyday people not elite athletes.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#418 Post by stumpjumper » Mon May 23, 2011 8:18 pm

THat makes it all the more interesting to find out how much we paid to get the event here.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#419 Post by crawf » Mon May 23, 2011 10:08 pm

:roll:

Congrats to Swimming SA, great news

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#420 Post by Will » Mon May 23, 2011 11:18 pm

pushbutton wrote:Can't say I'm excited about this event. It's just a short one-off event which I will have no interest in watching. Centres such as this should be for the benefit of ordinary everyday people not elite athletes.
It is. Have you already forgotten the leisure components of the centre? :?

Furthermore, even if you have no interest in watching competitive swimming, there are plenty of people who are. So much so, that the trials are expected to inject almost $5 million into the local economy, not to mention the positive publicity of a nationwide audience focussed on something new in Adelaide.