COM: SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre | $100m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
dsriggs
Legendary Member!

Re: #COM: $100m State Swimming Centre

#421 Post by dsriggs » Tue May 24, 2011 12:25 am

The only reason this was built was to attract elite-level events in the first place.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#422 Post by [Shuz] » Tue May 24, 2011 8:47 am

I'm wildly eager to get ahold of those tickets myself. I would love to watch the elite compete.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

waz94
Gold-Member ;)

#423 Post by waz94 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 am

pushbutton wrote:Can't say I'm excited about this event. It's just a short one-off event which I will have no interest in watching. Centres such as this should be for the benefit of ordinary everyday people not elite athletes.
And the winner of the most stupid and selfish comment of the day goes to........ :applause:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#424 Post by Wayno » Tue May 24, 2011 10:54 am

Will wrote:Furthermore, even if you have no interest in watching competitive swimming, there are plenty of people who are. So much so, that the trials are expected to inject almost $5 million into the local economy, not to mention the positive publicity of a nationwide audience focused on something new in Adelaide.
Agree. Such events embiggen (ala The Simpsons) Adelaide's reputation. Also the rumour mill is saying another international event will be announced today - at high noon! not necessarily to do with this swimming centre though...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#425 Post by Vee » Tue May 24, 2011 11:09 am

[Shuz] wrote:I'm wildly eager to get a hold of those tickets myself. I would love to watch the elite compete.
Same thinking, Shuz.
Might have to compete in a ballot for these tickets, if there are any left for general attendance (especially for any of the finals)?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#426 Post by Will » Tue May 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Wayno wrote:
Will wrote:Furthermore, even if you have no interest in watching competitive swimming, there are plenty of people who are. So much so, that the trials are expected to inject almost $5 million into the local economy, not to mention the positive publicity of a nationwide audience focused on something new in Adelaide.
Agree. Such events embiggen (ala The Simpsons) Adelaide's reputation. Also the rumour mill is saying another international event will be announced today - at high noon! not necessarily to do with this swimming centre though...
I assume this is it:

From the Advertiser:
First Ian Thorpe at Australian Olympic swim trials - now SA wins Kangaroo Island Pro surfing event

Reece Homfray and Anna Vlach From: AdelaideNow May 24, 2011 12:41PM

SOUTH Australia has secured a World Tour surfing event - the day after picking up the national swimming trials.

The inaugural Kangaroo Island Pro will be held at Vivonne Bay from November 4 to 9.

Former world champion Mark Occhilupo is already confirmed as a starter and he will be joined by up to 150 top male surfers from around the world.

The Kangaroo Island Pro will be the first time South Australia has hosted an ASP World Tour surfing competition - the highest-rated surfing event SA can currently attract on the ASP World Tour.

Presented by Sealink, the event is expected to inject about $2.5 million into the local economy in its first year.

Tourism Minister John Rau said the event would showcase Kangaroo Island and South Australia to the world.

"The Kangaroo Island Pro will provide a fantastic opportunity to promote Kangaroo Island as a wonderful surfing and tourism destination, and it will also bring a new market of tourists to this amazing island," he said.

The six-star ASP World Tour surfing event will attract prize money of $US145,000, the highest amount possible in its first year.

Surfing Australia will look at building a festival around the event. Camping facilities for about 5000 people will be available and Sealink will offer packages to the event.

Also competing at the event will be SA's Dion Atkinson, who is ranked 39th in the world, and current state champion Teale Vanner, who is from Kangaroo Island.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#427 Post by Wayno » Tue May 24, 2011 3:43 pm

First Ian Thorpe at Australian Olympic swim trials - now SA wins Kangaroo Island Pro surfing event

SOUTH Australia has secured a World Tour surfing event - the day after picking up the national swimming trials.

The inaugural Kangaroo Island Pro will be held at Vivonne Bay from November 4 to 9.
Glad SA Tourism secured this mid-tier event. Definitely a good plug for KI. Vivonne Bay is a truly special location. It won 'best beach in Australia' a few years ago.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#428 Post by Will » Wed May 25, 2011 12:19 am

This story in the Advertiser, highlights why it is necessary to spend money to attract these important events here to our city, and why it is important to vehemently reject and vilify those who would rather our city continue to plod along because 'development only benefits developers'.

The sad reality is that many people around Australia hate us, and their hatred is based on ridiculous sterotypes of churches, serial killers and bogans. If we can highlight positive features about our city, it will make all those ignorant people whose hatred of us is based on absurb and outdated lies, see reason.

Swim star's backflip on 'joke' Adelaide

Reece Homfray From: The Advertiser May 24, 2011 11:00PM

NATIONAL swimming champion James Magnussen felt a sting from his teammates when he mocked Adelaide.

Magnussen later apologised for labelling Adelaide an "absolute joke" and saying no one would show up to watch the London Olympic trials next year.

Other swimming stars hit back at the 100m freestyle star on Facebook, after he attacked Swimming Australia's decision to award Adelaide hosting rights to the national titles for two years.

"Olympic trials 2012 in Adelaide. What an absolute joke! Can't wait to swim in front of crowd of 10 and that will only happen if the entire city turns out to watch," he wrote on Facebook on Monday.

But yesterday he apologised for his "regrettable comments" and said he meant no disrespect to the city, the swim centre and event organisers.

His comments were widely condemned by some of the sport's biggest names, including Geoff Huegill, Eamon Sullivan and Brenton Rickard and later removed from his Facebook page.

On Monday, the NSW swimmer posted a comment saying competitors from the eastern states would lose support from family and friends, and five million Sydneysiders would miss out on seeing Ian Thorpe attempt to swim his way to the London Olympics.

But Magnussen yesterday issued a statement which said:

"My concerns, although poorly worded, were purely for my friends and family and other swimmers who are close friends (who) will struggle to be able (to) attend this event due to the increased financial strains holding it away from Sydney," he said.

"And I was obviously disappointed the trials weren't to be held at my home pool SOPAC where it had been the last five years."

On Monday, Rickard responded to Magnussen's Facebook comment by saying:

"How bout all u boys pull your heads in, might be a nice change to have it outside Sydney for first time in a few years," Rickard wrote on Facebook.

Huegill told Magnussen to show some respect.

"If you can get five million people to Homebush then go for it. It's not all about you mate," Huegill said.

Swimming SA general manager Craig Hobart would not respond to Magnussen's comments but said he was confident the national titles would be a success.

rhino

#429 Post by rhino » Wed May 25, 2011 9:37 am

Will wrote: it is necessary to spend money to attract these important events here to our city, and why it is important to vehemently reject and vilify those who would rather our city continue to plod along because 'development only benefits developers'.
Well said that man!
cheers,
Rhino

Vee
Legendary Member!

#430 Post by Vee » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 am

Will wrote:This story in the Advertiser, highlights why it is necessary to spend money to attract these important events here to our city, and why it is important to vehemently reject and vilify those who would rather our city continue to plod along because 'development only benefits developers'.

The sad reality is that many people around Australia hate us, and their hatred is based on ridiculous stereotypes ....
Thanks for the article, Will and I agree with your comments re investing in events that will attract people to Adelaide and inject funds into our economy and the need to counteract some of the cringeworthy and ill-informed comments (often by comedians and sportspeople).

It also provides a boost to state pride, the importance of which is not easily quantified in dollar terms but adds to the appeal of our city, "essential boasting points" and the ability to attract and retain residents. It also provides a catalyst for people to visit and experience the charms of our city and the highly professional and well-run events and allied activities on offer to mitigate the negativity as mentioned above and turn this into positives.

Kudos to the relevant Tourism/Swimming officials for getting this event for South Australia.

rhino

#431 Post by rhino » Wed May 25, 2011 10:07 am

I heard Craig Hobart (Swimming SA General Manager) talking to Matt & Dave this morning, and he commented that while the Olympic Swimming Centre in Sydney can hold 3 times as many people as the Adelaide centre (because it was built for the Olympics which had guaranteed crowds), it is rarely filled for the National Titles, whereas he expects that the Adelaide centre will be filled to capacity for this event. Hopefully people across Australia will notice this if they watch it on TV.
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#432 Post by crawf » Wed May 25, 2011 10:20 pm

James who?
Will wrote: This story in the Advertiser, highlights why it is necessary to spend money to attract these important events here to our city, and why it is important to vehemently reject and vilify those who would rather our city continue to plod along because 'development only benefits developers'.

The sad reality is that many people around Australia hate us, and their hatred is based on ridiculous sterotypes of churches, serial killers and bogans. If we can highlight positive features about our city, it will make all those ignorant people whose hatred of us is based on absurb and outdated lies, see reason.
I think you might be reading into it too much, it sounds like this guy is mostly pissed off because it's not being held in Sydney. Which is quite selfish but seriously doesn't deserve media attention

P.S Hate is such a strong word. I don't believe the rest of Australia hates us, Adelaide has just had a shocking reputation for far too long. Though things are changing for the better, the historic SACA vote is a prime example of that.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#433 Post by Will » Thu May 26, 2011 10:50 am

Maybe you are right Crawf, however there is a small part of me which thinks that were a major disaster to happen here in Adelaide (i.e. of the scale of the QLD floods or the Christchurch earthquake), the rest of Australia wouldn't care, and there would be no charity concerts, events or TV shows organised to help us.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#434 Post by Wayno » Thu May 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Will wrote:Maybe you are right Crawf, however there is a small part of me which thinks that were a major disaster to happen here in Adelaide (i.e. of the scale of the QLD floods or the Christchurch earthquake), the rest of Australia wouldn't care, and there would be no charity concerts, events or TV shows organised to help us.
I tend to agree with Will. An example that comes to mind is that SA is known for bizarre murders. The Snowtown 'body in the barrel' murders were particularly gruesome, and definitely worthy of entering australian folklore, but my many interstate friends don't know the name of the murderers, their motivation, etc. Compare that to Ivan Milat, Martin Bryant, etc who are more than well known Australia-wide. Maybe not a good example, but that's the best my brain can produce today.

Maybe i'm just holding a bigger set of chips on my shoulder :-)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#435 Post by crawf » Thu May 26, 2011 7:02 pm

I guess the Snowtown murders are far too complex to know the exact motivation, not to mention it involved more than 3 murderers. Though the name 'Snowntown' is definitely well known across the country.
Will wrote:Maybe you are right Crawf, however there is a small part of me which thinks that were a major disaster to happen here in Adelaide (i.e. of the scale of the QLD floods or the Christchurch earthquake), the rest of Australia wouldn't care, and there would be no charity concerts, events or TV shows organised to help us.
The Eyre Peninsula/Adelaide Hills bushfire received major national coverage back in 2005. People from interstate sent over money and things to the bushfire appeal

If we had a huge natural disaster on similar scale to QLD, Victorian Bushfires or Chirstchurch, I'm quite positive that the rest of Australia would help out. That is the great thing about this country, when there is a major disaster - state rivalries disappear.