Islington | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

Re: Islington | Developments & News

#166 Post by neoballmon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:20 am

pushbutton wrote:Trolley collecting has never been a job I would want, and the problem you have outlined is probably the number one reason why. Worst thing is that if trolleys actually damaged someones car it would be the trolley collector that gets the blame, even if it's the driver who was really at fault.
I would much rather not be doing it as well, and almost a year after dropping the contract with regular collectors, I still resent going outside every time. And you're spot on there, I'm liable for anything that happens, even if it's not my fault (particularly because I choose to take more trolleys than is automatically covered by our insurance, which is a ridiculously low amount, and a waste of a trip).
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

ml69
Legendary Member!

#167 Post by ml69 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:20 am

With the development of Churchill Centre as a decent sized shopping centre, wouldn't it make sense to shift Kilburn train station a few hundred metres Southwards and provide a link from the train station to the new shopping centre?

In fact I'd like to see an even bolder plan to make this relocated station (let's call it Churchill rather than Kilburn) a transport hub for the inner North. The existing, horrible Islington and Kilburn stations are decommissioned and replaced with this modern Churchill station which incorporates a large park and ride car park, and also incorporates a bus interchange for the surrounding district.

Train station location next to a large-ish shopping centre is the perfect location for this, especially with electrification coming. It would really cement the importance of this area to the inner North.

Any thoughts?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#168 Post by pushbutton » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:49 am

ml69 wrote:With the development of Churchill Centre as a decent sized shopping centre, wouldn't it make sense to shift Kilburn train station a few hundred metres Southwards and provide a link from the train station to the new shopping centre?

In fact I'd like to see an even bolder plan to make this relocated station (let's call it Churchill rather than Kilburn) a transport hub for the inner North. The existing, horrible Islington and Kilburn stations are decommissioned and replaced with this modern Churchill station which incorporates a large park and ride car park, and also incorporates a bus interchange for the surrounding district.

Train station location next to a large-ish shopping centre is the perfect location for this, especially with electrification coming. It would really cement the importance of this area to the inner North.

Any thoughts?
It has to happen at some stage. Just a bit of a shame it wasn't part of the development of the shopping centre really.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#169 Post by how good is he » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Good idea but only if the park n ride parking was on Govt land ...no point if the developer could then just put pay stations &boom gates. Anyone know if the govt still owns any land around Churchill or is it all privately controlled now?

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#170 Post by Aidan » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:03 pm

ml69 wrote:With the development of Churchill Centre as a decent sized shopping centre, wouldn't it make sense to shift Kilburn train station a few hundred metres Southwards and provide a link from the train station to the new shopping centre?
The size needs to be more than merely decent for that to be worthwhile. How far do you expect people to travel by train to reach it?

Any thoughts?
I strongly disagree. Islington station is useful for getting to locations along Regency Road. Kilburn station is underutilized, but moving it isn't what's needed (and would compromise its ability to serve Kilburn). What's needed is a western entrance to enable the passengers to access the Regency Park industrial area. Though the path wouldn't be cheap (having to cross above or below several railway tracks) it would serve the industrial area better than any bus route could.

This close to the City the benefits of a bus interchange would be limited, and a Park and ride car park even less.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ChillyPhilly

#171 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:09 pm

Aidan wrote:
The size needs to be more than merely decent for that to be worthwhile. How far do you expect people to travel by train to reach it?

Any thoughts?
I strongly disagree. Islington station is useful for getting to locations along Regency Road. Kilburn station is underutilized, but moving it isn't what's needed (and would compromise its ability to serve Kilburn). What's needed is a western entrance to enable the passengers to access the Regency Park industrial area. Though the path wouldn't be cheap (having to cross above or below several railway tracks) it would serve the industrial area better than any bus route could.

This close to the City the benefits of a bus interchange would be limited, and a Park and ride car park even less.
Pretty much spot on. Park and Ride benefits aren't always reaped. They serve more purpose further out of town, like in the car dependent ghettos of Andrews Farm (Broadmeadows station) to give one example. Park and Rides do serve a very important function, but fuel the lazy behaviour of using cars. Behaviour needs to be changed so that people walk or cycle to public transit/directly to work instead of driving. If anything, a new station should be designed with a future tramline in mind - to an extent at least.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#172 Post by pushbutton » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:23 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Aidan wrote:

Any thoughts?

Pretty much spot on. Park and Ride benefits aren't always reaped. They serve more purpose further out of town, like in the car dependent ghettos of Andrews Farm (Broadmeadows station) to give one example. Park and Rides do serve a very important function, but fuel the lazy behaviour of using cars. Behaviour needs to be changed so that people walk or cycle to public transit/directly to work instead of driving. If anything, a new station should be designed with a future tramline in mind - to an extent at least.
Or a new type of car needs to be adopted (electric) which costs far less (virtually nothing), drives itself (so completely safe) and is far cheaper to run.

The technology for all this does exist. Why aren't we using it?

For more people to use public transport, the public transport would need to be a whole lot more appealing, and a whole lot more convenient and reliable. I certainly couldn't do my job using public transport.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#173 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:04 am

pushbutton wrote:
Or a new type of car needs to be adopted (electric) which costs far less (virtually nothing), drives itself (so completely safe) and is far cheaper to run.

For more people to use public transport, the public transport would need to be a whole lot more appealing, and a whole lot more convenient and reliable. I certainly couldn't do my job using public transport.
The use of cars still causes social isolation within a community. It doesn't matter if the car is petrol, electric or some other form, they all cause the same problem within a community.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#174 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:15 am

pushbutton wrote:Or a new type of car needs to be adopted (electric) which costs far less (virtually nothing), drives itself (so completely safe) and is far cheaper to run.

Self driving car technology does not yet exist. Google et al are working on it, but they are far from solving the problem. For example; Google's cars cant see in the rain.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#175 Post by pushbutton » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:21 am

Well ok, but it's not far away from being readily available to everyone. Electric cars have been around some time now though, yet seem hard for the average person to get compared to a petrol car, hence people still buy petrol cars.

Nathan

#176 Post by Nathan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:09 am

pushbutton wrote:Well ok, but it's not far away from being readily available to everyone. Electric cars have been around some time now though, yet seem hard for the average person to get compared to a petrol car, hence people still buy petrol cars.
I'd say they're a long way from being readily available. Rain isn't the only issue. They currently rely on ultra-precise mapping — including things like the position and height of the curb — which means they can drive around Mountain View near Google's headquarters and that's about it. They're effectively at the level of theme park ride at the moment. It's a neat glimpse of the future, but for now there's a lot of smoke and mirrors.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#177 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:56 am

Nathan wrote:
pushbutton wrote:Well ok, but it's not far away from being readily available to everyone. Electric cars have been around some time now though, yet seem hard for the average person to get compared to a petrol car, hence people still buy petrol cars.
I'd say they're a long way from being readily available. Rain isn't the only issue. They currently rely on ultra-precise mapping — including things like the position and height of the curb — which means they can drive around Mountain View near Google's headquarters and that's about it. They're effectively at the level of theme park ride at the moment. It's a neat glimpse of the future, but for now there's a lot of smoke and mirrors.
Well there's a spinning mirror... I think smoke would be a bad thing though. :hilarious:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#178 Post by pushbutton » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:24 pm

I admit I'm not an expert on self-driving cars so yes ok, they're a few years off then. I still stand by the rest of what I said.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#179 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:04 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote: Pretty much spot on. Park and Ride benefits aren't always reaped. They serve more purpose further out of town, like in the car dependent ghettos of Andrews Farm (Broadmeadows station) to give one example. Park and Rides do serve a very important function, but fuel the lazy behaviour of using cars. Behaviour needs to be changed so that people walk or cycle to public transit/directly to work instead of driving. If anything, a new station should be designed with a future tramline in mind - to an extent at least.
You do realise there's two other stations closer to Broadmeadows from Andrews Farm. Broadmeadows services the true Davoren Park area (the bit that was on Bogan Hunters last week :lol: ) Smithfield and Munno Para stations are closer to Andrews Farm than Broadmeadows.

Also, Andrews Farm is probably one of the better regions of the outer, outer northern suburbs, and would hardly be what most people call a ghetto.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#180 Post by Torrens_5022 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:26 pm

Actually by looking on google maps Broadmeadows station is the easiest and most direct station to Andrews Farm (South) - all you do is head west on Petherton Road. I don't know how you think Munno Para is closer? did you even look at google maps?