Islington | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Islington | Developments & News

#181 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:48 am

Do forgive me for any inaccuracy! The furthest north I've ventured by rail is Elizabeth. I was pretty certain off the top of my head that Broadmeadows was closest to the bulk of Andrews Farm.

Also re: ghetto, it doesn't have to mean a ghetto infested with crime or similar. Just an area that has bred a poor culture.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#182 Post by Hooligan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:40 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Do forgive me for any inaccuracy! The furthest north I've ventured by rail is Elizabeth. I was pretty certain off the top of my head that Broadmeadows was closest to the bulk of Andrews Farm.

Also re: ghetto, it doesn't have to mean a ghetto infested with crime or similar. Just an area that has bred a poor culture.
You don't need to be forgiven at all because you are right. Broadmeadows is closest to the southern part of Andrews Farm and Smithfield is closest to the northern part of Andrew's Farm.

Munno Para station is practically in another timezone.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#183 Post by MessiahAndrw » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:31 am

Good transits systems do something very well - they raise property values around them. A good transit operator will capitalise on this (either by capturing the tax revenue generated by it, or by having a vested interest in the real estate around the transit stops - as is typical in Japan). In the book A Country of Cities: Of Trains, Towers, and Trees, the author says the a city's busiest train station should be it's tallest building, simply because traffic/accessibility is so high that real estate is the most expensive there.

Myer Centre in Brisbane is a great example of this. It's prime real-estate on top of a major bus hub. It's very rare for transit to be funded by fares (I think only a couple of transit systems world wide fully recover all their money through the fare box), instead transit operators (through leasing the surrounding land) and council (through taxes) capturing the increased value the transit station generates, and that justifies operating the system.

Park-and-ride systems are counter-productive - since a transit station should be some of the most valuable land around, and car parks are amongst the least productive things you could possibly build because they generate hardly any taxes, compared virtually anything else that could have been built on that site instead.

Next, if you're actually driving to and parking at station every day, that implies that every day you a) have access to a car, b) are driving it anyway - and if you're already driving, there's little reason you wouldn't want to simply drive the entire way to your destination. Instead, park-and-ride systems give you the worst of both worlds (driving - you're car dependent and need to drive every day, transit - you're on a schedule, limited to where the line goes).

Park-and-ride systems do have a function (an airport is a useful a park-and-ride system). But if you are already driving and have access to a car, there needs to be some incredible benefit to get you to then park your car, and wait for a train. Perhaps the train is faster than driving? (To avoid traffic.) Or is cheaper? (To avoid paying for parking or tolls.) Currently, for middle-ring Adelaide, it's neither. 15 minutes of waiting + 10 minutes on a train (25 minutes total), paying $3.29 there and back ($6.58 total) - you can drive and park just about anywhere in Adelaide cheaper and faster.

Park and ride may work across long distances like Gawler->Adelaide. It doesn't save time (50 minutes to drive vs. 1 hour 10 minutes via train) but I'd choose the train simply because I could do something productive with my time (like work or read). Still, it's a tough argument.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#184 Post by neoballmon » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:04 am

On the odd occasion I catch a train, I drive to the Noarlunga station, because it takes no more than ten minutes to get there, and I can get there right before the train does.
Last time I took a bus, I think it took about half an hour (not including walking to the stop) from stepping on the bus to stepping on the train, simply due to the bus weaving through suburbs and a wait for transfer train. So I think Park and rides definitely serve a good purpose, at least a bit further from the city.

And cost wise - my trip to the city is almost 25km. On my tank of petrol, that costs about $5 to get to the city. So the $3.29 is quite appealing here as well.

Travel time is also quite comparable in the peak hours.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

kingy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#185 Post by kingy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:38 pm

A couple of bad pictures from yesterday evening of what I assume is the costco construction.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#186 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:51 pm

Sure is. Thanks

The Scooter Guy

#187 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:42 pm

A new 6 tenancy building (between Bunnings and the railway yards) is being built.

Estimated so far:

Barbecues Galore
Radio Rentals
Lincraft
Ray's Outdoors
Anaconda
Officeworks
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#188 Post by MessiahAndrw » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Is there any news on what's going to happen with the SW corner of Regency and Churchill? It's been sitting vacant forever, and it's on top of a train station (6 min ride to the city every 15 min on weekdays) and I've always thought it'd be a prime spot for apartments.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#189 Post by rev » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:16 pm

An Autobahn and some Savers or something of that sort store has opened up where those last pictures are.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#190 Post by rev » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:17 pm

MessiahAndrw wrote:Is there any news on what's going to happen with the SW corner of Regency and Churchill? It's been sitting vacant forever, and it's on top of a train station (6 min ride to the city every 15 min on weekdays) and I've always thought it'd be a prime spot for apartments.
That's a separate site, not sure if the thread still exists for it.

There was a plan for housing on it, and I think a small shopping center.

The Scooter Guy

#191 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:57 pm

rev wrote:An Autobahn and some Savers or something of that sort store has opened up where those last pictures are.
And a pet food store too!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#192 Post by jk1237 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:57 pm

the large parcel of land, next to Islington train station, south of Regency Road, was advertised as for sale in todays Advertiser, for residential zoning purposes, so I wonder if its finally been given the all clear from contamination and ready for med density housing