Cnr South Road and Daws Road, Vacant Site. Former Caryard

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

Cnr South Road and Daws Road, Vacant Site. Former Caryard

#1 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:47 am

Not sure if this is the right place for this but....

I couldnt help but think this site would be the ideal location for a Coles Express Service Station. It would be one of the only service stations between Reynella/Morphett Vale and ANZAC highway on the city bound side of South rd. Also there are hardly any Coles Express Service Stations in the surrounding area, despite there being numerous Coles Supermarkets.

I'm just trying to settle a debate with my Girlfriend... :2cents:

Cheers :) :)
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Cnr South Road and Daws Road, Vacant Site. Former Caryar

#2 Post by Nathan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:07 am

Why specifically a Coles Express instead of any other service station chain?

Aidan

#3 Post by Aidan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:23 pm

There don't seem to be any other Coles Expresses in the area, though the RAA fuelwatch website doesn't seem to show Shell, so I can't be entirely sure. It does look like quite a good place for a servo, but the really important thing should be to make provision for construction of an overpass.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by crawf » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:51 pm

This should be moved to the general metro thread.

[Shuz]

#5 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:43 pm

Oh hai geniuses, how about the Government buy the land to reserve it for future widening of South Road and/or to accomodate the need for an overpass/underpass at this intersection!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Aidan

#6 Post by Aidan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:37 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Oh hai geniuses, how about the Government buy the land to reserve it for future widening of South Road and/or to accomodate the need for an overpass/underpass at this intersection!
That was sort of my point, but an overpass wouldn't require anything like the full width of the site, so there should be room for a fuel station as well should ColesShell or anyone else want to build one. And an underpass would be much more expensive and not offer any major advantage over an overpass at that location.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by Songsting » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:42 pm

There is a coles petrol station at Darlington, opposite McDs and (almost) HJs

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Ben » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:51 pm

This site has been vacant for a year or so now and it makes me angry the govnment have not purchased the land. This is the site of a major bottleneck and this would allow construction of an underpass when the state can afford it. Massive lost opportunity if a developer buys the land.

Aidan

#9 Post by Aidan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:39 pm

I'd forgotten that one was still open, Songsting.

Still, SouthAussie94 has a point about the lack of fuel stations on the northbound side of South Road - there are currently none before the Gallipoli Underpass. UIVMM that even includes Main South Road since the Caltex Woolworths at Reynella has closed.

Currently of course it's a non issue, as right turns are permitted in many locations. But once South Road becomes a non stop corridor, it will be of more significance because other refueling options will be more limited.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Ben » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:47 pm

Aidan wrote:Still, SouthAussie94 has a point about the lack of fuel stations on the northbound side of South Road - there are currently none before the Gallipoli Underpass. UIVMM that even includes Main South Road since the Caltex Woolworths at Reynella has closed.
There is one at Castle Plaza

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Maximus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:38 am

I was actually thinking just the other day that there seem to be more petrol stations on the outbound (i.e. driving away from CBD) side of the road than the inbound. Not just on South Road, but in general. I wonder if this is deliberate -- more people tend to buy fuel on the way home from work than on the way in...?
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

RL306
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#12 Post by RL306 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Aidan wrote:I'd forgotten that one was still open, Songsting.

Still, SouthAussie94 has a point about the lack of fuel stations on the northbound side of South Road - there are currently none before the Gallipoli Underpass. UIVMM that even includes Main South Road since the Caltex Woolworths at Reynella has closed.

Currently of course it's a non issue, as right turns are permitted in many locations. But once South Road becomes a non stop corridor, it will be of more significance because other refueling options will be more limited.
Since when has the Caltex/Woolworths at Reynella closed? It was still open when i filled up there on Saturday?
I can remember years ago when Shell servos were everywhere, then a lot seem to have closed. Brighton Rd, Morphett Vale(is now Australian Motors car yard)(ironically the same company that use to occupy the Daw's/South Rd site) and there was one on Goodwood Rd too somewhere (cant remember excatley where).

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by neoballmon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:29 pm

RL306 wrote:Since when has the Caltex/Woolworths at Reynella closed? It was still open when i filled up there on Saturday?
I can remember years ago when Shell servos were everywhere, then a lot seem to have closed. Brighton Rd, Morphett Vale(is now Australian Motors car yard)(ironically the same company that use to occupy the Daw's/South Rd site) and there was one on Goodwood Rd too somewhere (cant remember excatley where).
I remember that one in Morphett Vale actually. Right next to the BP. Then in the carpark of Woolworths, there was another BP, with the Mobil (now On the Run) next to it. Who would think 4 servo's are needed within 50 meters of each other?? Especially in the outter suburbs.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Aidan

#14 Post by Aidan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:50 pm

RL306 wrote:
Aidan wrote:I'd forgotten that one was still open, Songsting.

Since when has the Caltex/Woolworths at Reynella closed? It was still open when i filled up there on Saturday?
It was closed the last few times I passed it last year, so I (wrongly) assumed the closure was permanent. And (as has been pointed out) I also forgot about the one at Castle Plaza.
But it's not just Shell. Mobil's closed one on Brighton Road. A few have gone from Marion Road, including the one (Liberty I think) that was once Adelaide's biggest. And IIRC two have gone from Darlington.

Is it matched by new ones opening? Or expanding? Is demand falling? Or was there just an oversupply of them before?

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by neoballmon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Aidan wrote:But it's not just Shell. Mobil's closed one on Brighton Road. A few have gone from Marion Road, including the one (Liberty I think) that was once Adelaide's biggest. And IIRC two have gone from Darlington.

Is it matched by new ones opening? Or expanding? Is demand falling? Or was there just an oversupply of them before?
I don't think anything has replaced the Marion one, but it is a shame to see such a large independant gone.
As for Darlington, the first one to close was a Mobil, so I guess they found it pointless to keep 2 Mobils, then when they sold the other one to Caltex, I assume it still couldn't compete with the large BP that's just up the road.
Brighton Road doesn't seem to be replaced in the area either.

I would say there was just an over supply, and at some point (my guess would be 80's), there was just a thought that with no excessive taxes like we have now on petrol, there could never be too many stations, and that they'd all do excellently. Now with 130+c/L, everyone has to be more competitive, the smaller stores can no longer profit..
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!