[COM] Coles Norwood Redevelopment | 8 Lvls

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: VIS: Coles Norwood Redevelopment | 8 Lvls

#16 Post by Nathan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:46 pm

Coles to spend $50 million to transform Norwood Mall into Norwood Village
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6782367921

SUPERMARKET Giant Coles will spend $50 million to revitalise Norwood Mall in a bid to compete with the booming popularity of its Foodland rival on the other side of The Parade.

Plans for the mall, to be known as Norwood Village, show a 340-space basement carpark, a laneway lined with gourmet restaurants, 20 speciality shops and a new, market-style Coles supermarket.

It would also include a cafe overlooking James Coke Park and better pedestrian links from The Parade and George and Edward streets.

Construction would start next year and take up to 18 months to complete - if the project gets the nod from Norwood, Payneham & St Peters Council.

An artist's impression of Norwoo...
An artist's impression of Norwood Village
MORE: Coles lodges plans with counci for Norwood Mall site

Coles SA property manager Hamish Brown said the redevelopment would create 300 jobs during the construction phase and a further 300 once complete.

"Norwood Village is going to be a terrific new landmark for The Parade," Mr Brown said. "It will play a key role in the rejuvenation of the region as a vibrant retail hub."

An artist's impression of Norwood...
An artist's impression of Norwood Village.
He said the development would set new benchmarks for design and would include high-quality building materials that reflected The Parade's character.

MORE: Inside Norwood's newest hotel

NP&SP Mayor Robert Bria welcomed the upgrade, saying it would be good for The Parade.

"A $50 million investment for The Parade is fantastic news, particularly given the difficulty the retail sector is experiencing," Mr Bria said.

He hoped changes to the council's development plan, which pave the way for medium-density living in Kent Town and along The Parade, would be a catalyst for more of this type of investment.

In June 2011, the Eastern Courier Messenger confirmed that Coles was considering an upgrade to its Norwood site.

It was looking at building an eight-storey apartment block above the mall, which would have been in line with the State Government's planning reforms for higher-density living on Adelaide's fringe.

The last upgrade of Norwood Mall was in 2004 - an $8 million revamp which included new shops and toilets.

On the opposite side of The Parade, Norwood Place, which includes Foodland, opened in late 2004.

Waewick

#17 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:34 pm

anything is an imporvement on what is there. It is quite simply a horrible place to be - the initial upgrade done a few years ago was bad from day 1.

Does anyone else shop there? I use the Coles occasionally, quite frankly the Norwood and Unley Coles are some of the worst supermarkets I have ever entered.(ok context for that rather broad brush statement is my shopping habbits only really include supermarkets between say Goodwood road and Magill Road, as well as Port Nouarlunga!!)

Schapper
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#18 Post by Schapper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:21 pm

What a ridiculous waste of a site like this (compared to the concept drawings on Page 1). Piling 4 or 5 levels of apartments on top would have given Coles a readymade on-site market, and in this location would have sold like hot cakes. And revitalised Norwood Parade, which is carrying a frightful level of vacancies. Perhaps the dumbest development proposal I can remember.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by Vee » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Schapper wrote:What a ridiculous waste of a site like this (compared to the concept drawings on Page 1). Piling 4 or 5 levels of apartments on top would have given Coles a readymade on-site market, and in this location would have sold like hot cakes. And revitalised Norwood Parade, which is carrying a frightful level of vacancies. Perhaps the dumbest development proposal I can remember.
Gross! Don't like that entrance to the Mall between Nordburger and Dillons bookshop. It looks like the entry to a truck delivery bay.

Agree, Schapper. Missed opportunity to include some medium-high density residential, eg opposite James Coke Park and or facing Edward St or views on to the Parade, rather than just another café/restaurant. More shops, cafés but no residential? There are quite a few recently closed shops on and around the Parade now and oodles of cafés and restaurants, most with a view of the 'passing parade' rather than a less interesting (IMHO) Mall.

Surely the Council would encourage the residential component on this site, which is ideal to meet infill targets and would add to vibrancy and viability of existing retail and enhance their case for the suburban tram extension priority?

I wonder what will happen to business during the building phase when the existing car parks off George and Edward Streets are unavailable? These are hugely popular and the 2 hour limit is enforced. Shoppers, diners, clients may shop/dine etc elsewhere as happened during the recent Burnside Village redevelopment. Some traders may be forced to move or close down.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by Phantom » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Waewick wrote:Does anyone else shop there?
Yeah mate, I do. But I live about 200m away, so it is kinda necessary for me. :P
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Waewick

#21 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Phantom wrote:
Yeah mate, I do. But I live about 200m away, so it is kinda necessary for me. :P
What do you think? Shocker or not?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by SRW » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:37 am

Wait, is this designed with the ability to build apartments on top at a later date, or has that idea fallen completely by the wayside?
Keep Adelaide Weird

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by Phantom » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:29 am

Waewick wrote:
Phantom wrote:
What do you think? Shocker or not?
Three and a half out of ten? :P

Honestly, I don't completely hate it. It does but it doesn't kinda go with Norwood, you know? I mean, it could just be another soul-less hopping centre, like the Foodland across the road... At least this one has a bit of character about it, with its open roof design and occasional planty-viney thing.

In saying this though, business wise, I think any redevelopment of the shop is an improvement... The Coles shopfront hardly engages the average passer by on The Parade, you know? Most people walk past the gap between the new burger shop and the bookshop as if it simply weren't there.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by fishinajar » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Looks like a real ground scraper
Meh

Vee
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by Vee » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:42 pm

I shop, browse and indulge in café culture regularly in the Norwood Parade precinct. I am not particularly impressed with the (latest) Coles redevelopment plans, especially the missed opportunity to add a residential component, overall design and the axing of all the trees in the open space car parks.

And for what? A pretty bland shopping centre and mall with more cafés/restaurants (with an underground car park to replace the above ground parks).

"Once it's gone it's gone!"
A Cork tree, listed on the National Trust of Australia’s significant trees register, is to be cut down to make way for an underground car park in a redeveloped Norwood Coles supermarket/shopping mall. A group of local residents have formed an action group to try and protect the historic tree.

The tree was brought to Australia in the 1800s and is one of a host of mature trees to be axed. The story was reported by local media and has been picked up in Portugal, from where the tree originated.
Outrage Down Under as a supermarket chain plans to fell ancient Portuguese cork tree.
Residents in the Australian suburb of Norwood are (up) in arms over a supermarket chain’s plans to cut down a cork tree, believed to have arrived on that continent in the 1800s on a ship from Portugal...

Supermarket chain Coles wants to cut down the historic tree, estimated to be 140-years-old, to make way for an underground car park. But local residents have lashed out against the plans, claiming the tree is listed 34th on the National Trust of Australia’s significant trees register.

According to reports in broadsheet newspaper The Australian, local council authorities have said they will consider an application for it to be cut down, but ratepayers have formed an action group and are looking to the State Government to intervene.

Among those spearheading the movement against the tree’s felling is Australian radio personality Carole Whitelock, who told the newspaper it would be “sheer vandalism” to swap the tree for car-parking spaces.
“It is a beautiful and dignified part of our cultural and botanical heritage,” she said.

However, a horticulturist argued that while the tree is “pretty exceptional”, cork trees have a 90 per cent success rate at being transplanted, so if it were to be moved it could live another hundred years.
.... a 76-year-old Mr. Clyde Buttery claims his great-grandfather, Henry Buttery, brought the tree from Portugal when he travelled from England to South Australia in 1870.
“It’s part of the history of Norwood and it’s part of my family history - once it’s gone, it’s gone.”
Supermarket chain Coles said they have sought expert advice from an arborist and the council and that they were advised to remove the cork tree to start the underground car park.
Nonetheless a company spokesperson said new trees, garden beds, green walls and keeping some significant trees had been put into the design plan.
http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/out ... tree/30505

So the tree is "pretty exceptional" and ... "IF it were to be moved" / removed (transplanted?)...

This lovely old tree is part of the history of Norwood and South Australia.
Will it survive the axe?
Perhaps a rethink of the overall redevelopment plans, inclusion of a multi-level residential component and incorporation of an area of open space featuring this historic/significant tree....?

Sixty2
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#26 Post by Sixty2 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Maybe they should seek advice from the horticulturalist that was involved at the Burnside redevelopment!!

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by Phantom » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:26 am

Sixty2 wrote:Maybe they should seek advice from the horticulturalist that was involved at the Burnside redevelopment!!
I considered making the same joke yesterday about it, but decided against it. Hahaha.

I walk through this mall almost daily, as I live (according to Google Maps)... *Alt-Tabs and checks* 170 metres away. :P

What I don't like about this is the lack of information and artist's impressions available for the public to view. Instead a small stand is positioned in the center of the mall and doesn't seem to answer any questions. (From memory it mentions more about the history of Norwood Mall than it does about the planned upgrades.

Either way, I gave the mall a closer inspection the other day and to be honest, if it were to be torn down, it would hardly upset me. Most of the shade created in the mall is created but rather unnatural glass convex shaped dome looking things. During the heatwaves we've had, the air doesn't flow through it correctly (unless the breeze comes from the right angle) and it ends out being almost as hot in the shade as it does in the sun! I don't mind this too much, but there quite a fair few elderly people out and about in the mall (the shops seem to cater for the over 65 age bracket) and this excess heat... You know... I can't imagine it would be pleasant or beneficial for them.

Fun Fact - 200 posts! I'm not that far off of catching Monotone at this rate!

Vee
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by Vee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:40 pm

I have raised the issue in this forum of saving the heritage listed Cork tree (in the current car park) from destruction by Coles Norwood redevelopment. Coles' current plan has made no effort to integrate this tree into the overall design. Did Coles assume that permission would be automatic?

An online petition has been set up on a community run site - see link below, requesting immediate action to prevent its destruction and preserve the tree in situ.
SAVE THE HERITAGE CORK TREE IN NORWOOD campaign

Dear Coles, South Australian State Parliament Members, NPSP Council Members,
We draw your attention Honourable House to the proposed destruction of the magnificent heritage Norwood Cork Tree growing in the proposed Coles re-development site, ‘Norwood Village’, adjacent to The Parade, Norwood, South Australia. The tree is at least 122 years old making it one of the oldest cork trees in Australia, being planted during Norwood’s earliest years.
This tree was planted in 1892 by prominent industrialist Henry Buttery in his residential property adjacent to his furniture factory, which was the first in South Australia to use steam powered machinery, and the nearby row of Victorian shops from 158 to 166 The Parade, which still retain their distinctive parapets and facades and were also built by Henry Buttery.

The tree and the shops represent the cultural history of late 19th Century Norwood.

The cork tree (quercus suber) is significant with respect to its species, trunk size and its age. It is of exceptional form, with a good crown and contributes to the interpretation and understanding of the important history and built heritage of the site. It is registered by the National Trust of Australia (No. 34) on the Significant Tree Register.
http://www.communityrun.org/petitions/s ... -australia

Examples of two recent comments by people who have signed the petition:
Stephen H.
Norwood needs this tree more than it needs more Coles increased footprint. Coles needs Norwood more...so, work around Norwood or go somewhere else. Coles development would add nothing necessary to the improvement of Norwood. Their profit needs can't just be allowed to bulldoze everything that is in their way...
Ally H.
This is a true heritage tree. Where I lived in Norwood, the Council disallowed a co-owner to remove a 40 yr old dangerous lemon gum. I like the Cork Tree and dislike double standards.
http://www.communityrun.org/petitions/s ... -australia

What of the NPSP Council? What use is a National Trust listing?
This significant tree would greatly enhance Coles' redevelopment if it had been afforded a high priority to integrate into their café/hospitality/alfresco, shops etc area adjacent the supermarket.
(And not like the ridiculous Burnside Village ill-fated attempt at saving/integrating a significant tree!)

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Dvious » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:26 pm

I am so over people in Adelaide whinging about trees, it gets really annoying.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by SRW » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:31 am

Dvious wrote:I am so over people in Adelaide whinging about trees, it gets really annoying.
What's more annoying is people dismissing legitimate and well-reasoned concerns as whinging.
Keep Adelaide Weird